Thread: Favorite Japanese Firearm in Your Collection

Favorite Japanese Firearm in Your Collection

So what's your favorite Japanese rifle in your collection - either because it's unique, took a long time to find, whatever...

Type 2 paratrooper rifle - matching down to the dust cover + sling:

Coming in only slightly behind that one is my Type 30 - complete with capture papers and the box it came home to the states in:

Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Very nice rifles Mike. My favorite is this here Type 99 series 8 because of the stock. I like the swirls in the wood grain. And it has i nice crisp mum.

I am sitting in my angry chair!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Can you guys shoot these guns?

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Can you guys shoot these guns?

You betcha. The strength of the Arisaka receiver is unbelievable. I have hand loaded for both 6.5 and 7.7 and they are both very accurate rifles. Factory ammo gets bought up quick for either caliber of the Arisaka that is why i like to hand load.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

I only have one so it's my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    You betcha. The strength of the Arisaka receiver is unbelievable. I have hand loaded for both 6.5 and 7.7 and they are both very accurate rifles. Factory ammo gets bought up quick for either caliber of the Arisaka that is why i like to hand load.
    What he said - that being said, I haven't actually shot either of these. I do have a Type 99 long rifle I shot a few times - danced around an empty propane can at 300 yards... don't think I quite hit it though... which given I was shooting without a rest - I was most likely the "limitation of accuracy".
    Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Only own one so yeah there is a fav, its a SKB 150th anniversary 12ga over-under... 1 of 150

Quote Originally Posted by Infidelski View Post
    Only own one so yeah there is a fav, its a SKB 150th anniversary 12ga over-under... 1 of 150
    You know I hadn't thought of that but my Weatherby 308 is Japanese made and by far it's my favorite fireram....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I do not have a jap rifle but I'd add this pistol to my collection.

NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I have three 99's. All have ground mums and one is an early long rifle that got semi-sporterized. The other two are in mil config and both had cracked stocks at the pistol grip and looked like somebody had swung them against a post or something. (Maybe an imperial soldier too ashamed to let it fall into the hands of his enemy or something).

My fave is the one with the intact aircraft sight, not that it helps me shoot better. Just that it's the most complete of the three. I also put repro dust covers on the last two.

Favorite Japanese Rifle

I can't say I have a favorite, I'm like the guy that sings the song "I Like Guns" I like them all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm sorry to say that I own one and know absolutely nothing about them.

It came in a collection of guns that I bought. A friend of mine's father died and he sold off his dad's collection.

It's sporterized. It has a metal shroud around the action. It came with a box of 7.7 Jap rounds. It has what I assume to be "airplane" sights.

That's all I know.

I had always heard that the Jap action was weak....thus the shroud around the bolt. I've been kind of scared to touch it off.

The shroud is a dust cover to keep dirt and grime out of the action. The Japanese actions according to test made after WW11 proved to be the strongest of all the bolt actions used in WW11. You can fire it with full confidence. If I can help you send me an email.

Just recently got an all matching three piece stock (not duffle cut) and intact Mum.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight You. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963. Good Conduct Medal. And They Wanted It Back.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMrMitch View Post
    Just recently got an all matching three piece stock (not duffle cut) and intact Mum.
    What's the bolt handle look like?

This OK? I know there's a difference in shapes, but don't know the whole story. It has the welded safety that works.

Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight You. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963. Good Conduct Medal. And They Wanted It Back.

These two Type 99's were the last two guns that I acquired and at the same time at a swappers event two years ago. The last ditch was missing a hand guard which I just acquired last week but now it's obvious that I need to strip the shellac off of the stock.
    Last edited by BDA; 05-23-2012 at 04:56 PM.