Thread: Removing Import Mark

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Removing Import Mark

This has been discussed on other gunboards besides here. So i wanted an answer and got one but it still is not crystal clear. So here it is.

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). This is in response to your email, dated December 3, 2010, in which you made an inquiry regarding the removal importer marking:

The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 states: “It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number, removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.” [18 U.S.C. 922(k)].

We trust this correspondence has been responsive to your inquiry. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact your local ATF Industry Operations Office. A list of ATF Office telephone numbers can be found at: http://www.atf.gov/field .

Thank you,

Firearms Industry Programs Branch, ATF
    Last edited by aliceinchains; 12-16-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Good info.
    Put a sticky button on that!!

Thanks for posting.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

I will be making a phone call and get to the bottom of this. My question was about removing the import mark on a Title 1 firearm and not a bunch of crap about a serial number and other jibberish.

What lead me to this was the issue with Mitchells Mausers. People buy K98 Mausers from them with no import mark. Well i don't think they are sitting on pre 68 mausers or other wise they would require an import mark.

If they are scrubbed of the import mark i want to make sure this is legit.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes exactly, you asked about an Importers mark. Their reply was on a tangent that was not what you asked about. They answered about serial numbers. Clearly the boob that answered didn't know what an Importers Mark is and thinks it's a serial number.

Use shorter words next time. Them thar big werds leaves them all con-fuss-ed...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

People who bought import marked M1 rifles and M1 carbines have been replacing the barrels for over 20 years just to get rid of the import marked barrels. No big deal, they weren't supposed to be there anyway.
    - Change it back -