View Poll Results: What level of prep describes you?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • None - business as usal.

3 7.89%
  • Some - stocking some extra food, guns, ammo.

21 55.26%
  • More - 6 mo.s food, medical, precious metals, etc.

9 23.68%
  • At least a year's stores, put in a well, solar pannels, etc.

3 7.89%
  • Long term stores, totall self-sufficient preps.

1 2.63%
  • Totally off-grid bunker ready

1 2.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind or level of preparation are you doing right now?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Question What kind or level of preparation are you doing right now?

The question is about prepping for the possibility of hard times or even SHTF.

What level of prep are you undertaking?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Being in shape.
    Ive said it before here and Ill say it again.
    Just having three cases of MREs and a 3000 rounds for ones wasr means nothing if you cant haul them more than 11 feet from your monster truck.

I got tired of feeling like hell about 8 mos ago, so I started running every night, doing p90, and getting out. Spending more time in the desert shooting and hunting and most of all hiking.

Spooky - your reply was there already when I posted the poll.... I guess the post goes up before the poll.

Anyway - definately a good point. For a lot of reasons. Anybody on meds that are needed because of obesity, etc. should take care of that right along with all of the other preps. Only makes sense. I'm at the "not feeling the best I can" stage and need to lose 40 pounds. I've done it before and I need to get on it.

For other preps, I am personally between 6 months and a year on food and such, have medical and personal care, etc. stuff stored - stuff that we use anyway and that I rotate through. Also puting in a driven-point well - which is a good $120 investment if you water table is high enough. Thinking of getting some solar panels and a wind generator to supply enough power to drive the freezer... and of course it will pay for itself in time regardless. We have about 1 1/2 year to make precious metal purchases before they start tracking and taxing the purchases. I'm just wanting enough for an "emergency" fund should we see rapid inflation.

I am trying to do things that are not "just" for pepping - that aren't going to be a "loss" at some point if not "needed".

We put in a "test" garden this spring. Going to use what we learned and go again in the fall. We get really three seasons here. This is something that is good for us regardless. Fresh veggies is a good thing.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Food,ammo,spare parts/guns,water,clothing,gas,weapons.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Getting in shape is my main focus at this point.I have recently lost 20lbs simply reducing my calories per day and regular exercise.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I am working on being totally self sufficient,even before the SHTF scenarios,just in self defense of todays crappy food,I like to hunt,grow and can my own food,make jerky be frugle and collect stuff for barter,after all after shit doe hit the fan paper money will no longer be practical cept for asswipe,and I live in sticks already and I am planning on staying put unless nuclear fallout or some shit is raining on my head,,as for specific plans I prefer to remain as a duck,cool and calm on the surface but paddlin like hell below
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
    Thomas Jefferson

Food for a winter is what is on my mind. I have 3 Amish families surrounding me and they give me lots of advice as far as homesteading.

I have been real busy this week clearing land for a new pastor by my barn where I will someday raise a few beef cattle. I also raise chickens and in fact I just got a nasty new rooster this week that is a pain in the ass as far as him trying to "show" me that he is in charge of the harem. I have to constantly humiliate him in front of the hens in order for him to calm the fuck down.

Also...I buy about $30 bucks worth of long term storable food a week that I put down in my celler.

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    doing p90
    I too have been using P90x...It's by far the best workout/diet program I have ever used. I don't run but I do go for a nightly hike.
    FBHO

I just got a nasty new rooster this week that is a pain in the ass as far as him trying to "show" me that he is in charge of the harem. I have to constantly humiliate him in front of the hens in order for him to calm the fuck down.
    put the sonuvabitch in the stewpot and get another
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
    Thomas Jefferson

Chiak - awfully good of you to clear land for your new Pastor... I hope he appreciates it.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Chiak - awfully good of you to clear land for your new Pastor... I hope he appreciates it.
    lol,I saw that too,maybe he'll say a prayer for that crazy rooster
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Freudian slip my friend....
    FBHO

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Like most here I try to put away a few canned veggies and such each grocery trip, but I'm limited on space in my small ranch (tad under 900 sq. ft.); I should do some rearranging/get rid of some stuff, bad. Add to my ammo when I can, mostly bulk cuz it's cheaper that way and picked up a reloader to help with that. I have started jogging again thanks to some "convincing" from couple buddies at work, lol. We'll go in morning after our shift a couple times a week, with a minimum of two miles....I really need to start hitting the weights again, I miss the shape I was in after popo academy. Other than that it's mostly keeping an eye/ear out for news and paying down debts ASAP and building up savings.

So in all honesty the p90x is worth what they ask for it? There's a p90 too right?

Almost forgot, thinking about getting into bow hunting to add more deer to my freezer. Bow tags just about given out like candy here.
    Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 08-03-2010 at 03:15 AM.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Regular exersize, some strengh training, weapons, ammo, enough stored food and watter for my family for at least a month and regular weapons and tatical training. As far as the food and watter / extra weapons, yea I like alot of you have all of this but lets face it if you need to bug out, if you can't hump it it's worthless. My advice would be to keep things realistic because if the balloon goes up your not going to haul all of your gear, food , weapons and ammo. It will be what you need and what will serve you best.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

Been storing food for a bit. Long term stuff; grains, legumes, milk, eggs, salt, baking stuff, fats, sugars. Mostly basic stuff. We live in a rural, game rich environment in SW OR. But not counting on any other source, we have enough in store for 5 years worth of calories.

Up to speed on rifles, hand guns, shotguns for both critters and people. Bunch o' ammo; like a little less than 10K of 5.56

Got concerned about protracted survival needs about 20 years ago.

Been buckskinning for years. Have skills like flintknapping, friction fire, braintanning and so forth.

Still though, not near done with the plan. Working on a mobile "retreat" now. An '89 1 ton, 4x4 aff road Chevy truck with same year truck bed trailer. When done would be able to jump in with wife and stay out for at least 2 years; wall tent, gear, fuel etc.

Just keep plodding along...

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Been storing food for a bit. Long term stuff; grains, legumes, milk, eggs, salt, baking stuff, fats, sugars. Mostly basic stuff. We live in a rural, game rich environment in SW OR. But not counting on any other source, we have enough in store for 5 years worth of calories.

Up to speed on rifles, hand guns, shotguns for both critters and people. Bunch o' ammo; like a little less than 10K of 5.56

Got concerned about protracted survival needs about 20 years ago.

Been buckskinning for years. Have skills like flintknapping, friction fire, braintanning and so forth.

Still though, not near done with the plan. Working on a mobile "retreat" now. An '89 1 ton, 4x4 aff road Chevy truck with same year truck bed trailer. When done would be able to jump in with wife and stay out for at least 2 years; wall tent, gear, fuel etc.

Just keep plodding along...
    If I would need all that stuff; I'd probably abandon it to head to DC.

With a few million others.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

None... Got some food and about 200 gallons of water, but nothing out of the norm... :-/
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I live in a normal suburban neighborhood so its hard.
    No chickens or crazy stuff is possible.

But am trying gardening, will plant fruit trees and other food plants.

Wife is nudging me to stock up on food big time. Mountain House dried stuff, normal stuff, MREs etc....

already got first aid, guns, ammo and rubik's cube for doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    If I would need all that stuff; I'd probably abandon it to head to DC...With a few million others.
    Developing a plan for DC too... LOL

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I have some extra canned goods, first-aid supplies & drinking water stored away. The usual odd round or two for the gunz. Can't honestly state that I'm at Level 1 readiness as I understand that to be.

On the other hand I've lost 25 lbs this past year & am physically in the best shape I've been since my late 20's. People tell me I don't look anywhere close to 55 but maybe they're blowing smoke up old Mr K's keister. Been working out and eating a Mediterranean-type diet for my 2010 New Year's resolution. I may not really be ready for the Apocalypse but I doubt many truly are.
    Last edited by mrkalashnikov; 07-30-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: grammar, slight bs on the "early 20s" thing

...ok, so i cant stay for long...the more i type the easier it is for them to find me...i sealed the bunker yesterday...walls covered in tin foil...family size cans of baked beans stacked to ceiling...also got sweet deal on several cases of c-rats vintage 1951...i dont want to get soft in the bunker...so we take lots of steroids and play mumbly peg for days at a time...forgot dvd collection...will have to educate future generations with last remaining VHS of Red Dawn...beans probably bad idea in confined space...furniture made from stacked cans of spam...forgot to dig latrine...check back in two weeks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast