Thread: ATF Issues Manufacturing Ruling

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post ATF Issues Manufacturing Ruling

ATF Issues Manufacturing Ruling

WASHINGTON, Dec. 29, 2010 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) today announced a ruling that will affect any person licensed as a dealer-gunsmith performing certain processing or finishing on firearms owned and marked by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer. The ruling will also affect licensed manufacturers and licensed importers who have contracts with specialized gunsmiths to perform a variety of processes involved in producing firearms.

The ruling holds that licensed firearms dealer-gunsmiths are not engaged in a manufacturing business, and are not required to hold a manufacturers license, under certain specified conditions. The ruling was issued to address modern firearms manufacturing processes, which often involve a number of contractors other than the manufacturer whose name is marked on the firearm.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...112628104.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Is it my imaganation or is the AFT issiuing a lot of "rulings" lately?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Guessing they will slowly morph the "rules" so that eventually it will be illegal for Joe-Average to build an AR-15 or AKM without registering as a gunsmith or dealer or manufacturer or any combination of these. This ruling looks like it allows sub-contractors to make sub-assemblies without having a manufacturing license.

Just another way of manipulating "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"!!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Is it my imaganation or is the AFT issiuing a lot of "rulings" lately?
    All the alphabet soup organizations are currently grabbing for power. I think this is going to be the new way for a while.

Its easy to see with the BATFE and the FCC.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Guessing they will slowly morph the "rules" so that eventually it will be illegal for Joe-Average to build an AR-15 or AKM without registering as a gunsmith or dealer or manufacturer or any combination of these. This ruling looks like it allows sub-contractors to make sub-assemblies without having a manufacturing license.

Just another way of manipulating "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"!!!

Probably in response to all the flack they took over Cav Arms
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Amazing how ATF and other FED agency's have replaced the rule of law with "rulings".

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

ok, so i just skimmed over this and didnt really try to let it fully sink in, but im gathering what happened here is that they are somewhat repealing their bullshit ruling of a while back where they said that if you mounted a scope on a gun, you were manufacturing it and therefore needed a manuf licence, yes?? what they are saying now is that as long as the receiver is marked as manufactured by a manufacurer, then anyone else can do as they please now without needing a manuf lic, correct?

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    ok, so i just skimmed over this and didnt really try to let it fully sink in, but im gathering what happened here is that they are somewhat repealing their bullshit ruling of a while back where they said that if you mounted a scope on a gun, you were manufacturing it and therefore needed a manuf licence, yes?? what they are saying now is that as long as the receiver is marked as manufactured by a manufacurer, then anyone else can do as they please now without needing a manuf lic, correct?

Every thing i make from now on will say manufactured by a manufacturer.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!