Thread: Streamlight Tactical Lights?

swampdragon

Streamlight Tactical Lights?

I have an older Streamlight TLR-2 on my AK.
    It the version that also has a red laser.
    The thing has been freakin' great as far as toughness, brightness and durability.

I've noticed that since then...Streamlight has changed over to an LED type light.
    The TLR-1s is one of them.

It's just like the TLR-1 except it also has a strobe light feature as well.

I was just wondering if anybody had one of the newer LED streamlights?
    What do you think of them?
    Are they any better than the old Streamlights which are already great!?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Only thing I can relate is that I swapped out my surefire 6p (i think that's the model) original bulb and replaced it with LED bulb. BIG difference in run time and I didn't see any negative affects in light...in fact I think the light looks better with LED than original bulb. I've had same pair of batteries in it for over a year and still run strong. I would recommend upgrading to the LED. They hold up too rough use better too.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Only thing I can relate is that I swapped out my surefire 6p (i think that's the model) original bulb and replaced it with LED bulb. BIG difference in run time and I didn't see any negative affects in light...in fact I think the light looks better with LED than original bulb. I've had same pair of batteries in it for over a year and still run strong. I would recommend upgrading to the LED. They hold up too rough use better too.
    The durability factor crossed my mind too. That's why I asked.
    Yet....I've never had a single issue with my older Streamlight either however.
    It's still running strong as ever...

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I carry a Streamlight TLR-3 on my concealed Glock 19 every day. I love its brightness for how small it is, but every now and then it will shine at about half it's usual lumens. I can't figure that out; seems like a bad connection or something. Other than that, great light. The LED lights are way better than the lights with bulbs, IMO. I want to try out the new TLR-2 whenever I pick up a Glock 35 some day.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

The TLR series is the only Streamlight I care for .... do convert if given chance ! I prefer Sure-Fire , but they are way to much money ...

Streamlight is hit or miss. I have a TLR1 and a Strion LED that I absolutely love. My Stinger on the other hand. I'd like to smash that thing on the ground most days.

Streamlight will also stand behind their product. I've had a TLR1 and TLR2 for a few years now. They are the older versions. I've never had one problem with either one.
    Given a choice, I will always got with LRD. Much longer battery life, and I like the light it gives off. Plus, the LED is not recoil sensitive.
    I understand the new TLR's are much brighter than the older versions also.
    Last edited by shadow65; 07-27-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Independent Field tester/Research and Developement

"Better to die for something than live for nothing"
    MOLON LABE

I have an LED TLR-1 and love it. I like it so much, I'm considering getting another one to mount on my gf's AR I'm building in order to help keep the weight down.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I have an LED TLR-1 and love it. I like it so much, I'm considering getting another one to mount on my gf's AR I'm building in order to help keep the weight down.
    That's what I wanted to know.
    Do you have the TLR-1 or the TLR-1S?

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I use a TLR-1 LED on my light carbine. It's very unobtrusive and light, but the switches are easy to activate unintentionally. Also, I had to rattle-can that bitch flat black, 'cause of all that bling.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I use a TLR-1 LED on my light carbine. It's very unobtrusive and light, but the switches are easy to activate unintentionally. Also, I had to rattle-can that bitch flat black, 'cause of all that bling.
    I have a scope cap over my light to help hide the glare if it gets accidentally turned on.
    During the day, it protects the lens and also stops sun glint from coming off of it.
    Works really well...
    I have an anti-reflection device on the Aimpoint too.

I have the older TLR-2 with laser.
    Was really curious about these newer LED types.

Last edited by swampdragon; 07-29-2010 at 10:30 PM.