Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with AR modification

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

How is the head spaced checked on these barrels?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    How is the head spaced checked on these barrels?
    The normal way, w/ head space gauges.

However, the barrels come with the locking collar installed to spec, and the bolts are all built to a spec. So unless one or the other is way out of spec, or has changed headspacing through a lot of use (IE 10,000's of rounds) they should headspace without adjustment. The way to adjust the headspace is to replace the bolt, the barrel or both.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    The normal way, w/ head space gauges.

However, the barrels come with the locking collar installed to spec, and the bolts are all built to a spec. So unless one or the other is way out of spec, or has changed headspacing through a lot of use (IE 10,000's of rounds) they should headspace without adjustment. The way to adjust the headspace is to replace the bolt, the barrel or both.
    Thanks for the explanation.I was considering a new barrel for my M4.

Well, I have something new to add!

I stopped off at the gunshop today and took a look at a Stag Arms bull barreled AR. When I looked inside the flash hider....it had exposed threads just like on my Hbar. Actually, it was just about the exact same amount. If Stag is comfortable sending them out of the factory that way, I believe mine is probably a non issue. It is approximately half way threaded on.

Thanks 308.

Now...on the the new news;

I bought a barrel, and a flash hider. I'm going to enter the AR building world.

It was on impulse really. The shop has all of the parts displayed and I just thought to myself, why not build exactly what I want?

So....I am now the proud owner of a Rock River Arms M4 profile 16 inch barrel. Chrome lined of course, and 1/9 twist.

Price was $199.95.

The flash hider is an evil looking Yankee Hill. It looks like you could poke an eye out with it.

So, thanks for all the help and please be patient with me as I will probably start 20 threads over the next 6 months asking all kinds of silly questions. But I am excited!

We need pics man!

Quote Originally Posted by Flinter View Post

I stopped off at the gunshop today and took a look at a Stag Arms bull barreled AR. When I looked inside the flash hider....it had exposed threads just like on my Hbar. Actually, it was just about the exact same amount. If Stag is comfortable sending them out of the factory that way, I believe mine is probably a non issue. It is approximately half way threaded on.

Thanks 308.

It was on impulse really. The shop has all of the parts displayed and I just thought to myself, why not build exactly what I want?

So....I am now the proud owner of a Rock River Arms M4 profile 16 inch barrel. Chrome lined of course, and 1/9 twist.

Price was $199.95.

The flash hider is an evil looking Yankee Hill. It looks like you could poke an eye out with it.

So, thanks for all the help and please be patient with me as I will probably start 20 threads over the next 6 months asking all kinds of silly questions. But I am excited!
    If you'll PM me with your e-mail address I'll send you Jordan's (JE3146 I thnk is his Gunsmet name) most excellent AR Builder's Guide. Its a great resource.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Banned to the Roadhouse

I think you need to check the head space as well.I'd look into getting a complete upper...Just for the sake of headaches.
    Last edited by slamfire51; 01-05-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: no spam in signature

I picked up a S&W lower today and a RRA lower parts/trigger kit. I assembled it this evening.

Thanks Ten-32. Jordan's instruction really made it easy.

At this rate I'll be finished in a month...and broke the rest of the year. Still, after the events on Saturday I at least wanted to get a lower and an upper.

As soon as it resembles a real firearm and not just a box of parts, I'll post a pic.

I have to admit, no more than I've done so far....I'm having a blast!

BTW....I still don't have an upper. Plan to order one this week. No shop in my area carries one with the M4 feed ramp cuts. I'm thinking either Yankee Hill or Vltor.

I picked up a S&W lower today and a RRA lower parts/trigger kit. I assembled it this evening.

Thanks Ten-32. Jordan's instruction really made it easy.

At this rate I'll be finished in a month...and broke the rest of the year. Still, after the events on Saturday I at least wanted to get a lower and an upper.

As soon as it resembles a real firearm and not just a box of parts, I'll post a pic.

I have to admit, no more than I've done so far....I'm having a blast!

BTW....I still don't have an upper. Plan to order one this week. No shop in my area carries one with the M4 feed ramp cuts. I'm thinking either Yankee Hill or Vltor.
    Flinter, don't rule out a Del Ton upper.

http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu101.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Flinter, don't rule out a Del Ton upper.

http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu101.htm
    Do they make decent stuff? I have to admit, I've never seen anything from them.

Most of the uppers I've looked at have either a keyhole or a square on the receiver. I'm learning that there may be a million AR companies...but only a few manufacturers.

I really wanted to find one local so that I could try it on my lower before I bought it. My two biggest fears with mail order are a sloppy fit and mismatched finishes.

I'm vain with my firearms.

I only have one DTi upper. Its on a Stag lower. Mine has been very satisfying. I bought it based on many comments from other owners.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thanks 308.

Price was $199.95.

Oops too late! I would of advised you to get a 1 in 8 twist so you could shoot 77 gr. Sierra's. With 1 in 9 probably the heaviest bullet you can shoot well is the 69 gr. Sierra or 68 gr. Hornaday BTHP.

Do they make decent stuff? I have to admit, I've never seen anything from them.

Most of the uppers I've looked at have either a keyhole or a square on the receiver. I'm learning that there may be a million AR companies...but only a few manufacturers.

I really wanted to find one local so that I could try it on my lower before I bought it. My two biggest fears with mail order are a sloppy fit and mismatched finishes.

I'm vain with my firearms.
    I have a couple of shopping experiences with Del-Ton and I would say they are first rate to deal with and what they sell are top level AR parts and accessories.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 01-11-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I only have one DTi upper. Its on a Stag lower. Mine has been very satisfying. I bought it based on many comments from other owners.
    Is that a Vortex sight?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12