Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62 NATO AR Question

Thanks! I just got a carbine, I'll post pics as soon as the finishing touches are done.

Thanks RRA for giving us sutch a superior weapon.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

I run the 7.62 P mags in my DPMS AP4 and they are loads more reliable than the factory mags that came with the rifle. They are pretty cheap too for what your actually getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Magpul is making a Pmag that fits:

* Mk11 / M110
    * KAC SR25
    * DPMS LR308
    * LMT 7.62 MRP
    * LaRue Tactical OBR
    * LWRC REPR
    * POF P-308
    Also, the ORIGINAL AR10, NOT the current production Armalite version. It costs $20 or less. The DPMS/ Stoner mag will soon be the standard for .308 ARs.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...mm-pmag-20-lr/
    Have you tried these personally? I'll be getting into the DPMS game second quarter next year. I really would like to get into these magazines.

Yes, they have ran great with my DPMS, would be cool if they had the window like some of the other P mags.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Yes, they have ran great with my DPMS, would be cool if they had the window like some of the other P mags.
    That's great news. I really don't want to pay $45+ for factory mags that aren't doing too well in the QC department.

I hear that dude, the DPMS factory mags in my use of them are the shittiest mags. Wont feed, and just gums everything up by slowing it down. You'll like the magpul.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    To the point of 7.62 NATO and .308 being exactly the same, not quite but they are close in physical dimensions. 7.62 N can be longer than .308 case length also on pressures the 7.62 N is loaded to about 48,000 psi where as .308 can hit 60,000 psi. Self loading weapons designed around the 48K pressure can not tollerate the 60K pressures of .308 civilian ammo for long. Damage to the weapon is a serious possibility. Is it going to blow up, no probably not. The damage will come to the recoil and buffering components and or extractors and ejectors.
    OK, just for clarification it's better to get .308 Win. chambered rifle because it can handle both .308 Win. and 7.62N?.......the opposite of 5.56 and .223? Reason I ask is that I'm thinking about selling/trading my ptr-91 for a .308 AR. I have no experience with .308 ARs and I just want to make sure I get a rifle that can handle both types of ammo.
    Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 10-21-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

My DPMS LR308 AP4 is stamped 7.62N and have ran 500 rds of Hornaday Match BTHP in 308 through it. No probs. Dont know if that'll help.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I like the G3 option,I still have 40 of those $1 mags sitting in a crate.
    I think I have somewhere between 200 and 300... maybe I should do an inventory... I found another case I forgot about when we moved...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    OK, just for clarification it's better to get .308 Win. chambered rifle because it can handle both .308 Win. and 7.62N?.......the opposite of 5.56 and .223? Reason I ask is that I'm thinking about selling/trading my ptr-91 for a .308 AR. I have no experience with .308 ARs and I just want to make sure I get a rifle that can handle both types of ammo.
    .308 spec for a chamber is up to .008" shorter than NATO spec. Meaning .... a .308 round will always fit in the chamber of a 7.62 NATO chambered rifle but not the other way around. A .308 spec chambered rifle may find lots of 7.62 N that will not chamber in the weapon. PRESSURE for 7.62 N is lower than .308. The Nato round is loaded to 48,000 psi, .308 SAAMI spec allows for up to 60,000 psi. A G3 type is designed to run on blow back pressure and IMHO could be damaged by .308 SAAMI spec. 60,000 psi ammo. IMO only the FN FAL type weapon is quasi safe to operate with .308 ammo and that is because it has a gas dump to bleed off excess pressure and tune the weapons cycle rate.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    .308 spec for a chamber is up to .008" shorter than NATO spec. Meaning .... a .308 round will always fit in the chamber of a 7.62 NATO chambered rifle but not the other way around. A .308 spec chambered rifle may find lots of 7.62 N that will not chamber in the weapon. PRESSURE for 7.62 N is lower than .308. The Nato round is loaded to 48,000 psi, .308 SAAMI spec allows for up to 60,000 psi. A G3 type is designed to run on blow back pressure and IMHO could be damaged by .308 SAAMI spec. 60,000 psi ammo. IMO only the FN FAL type weapon is quasi safe to operate with .308 ammo and that is because it has a gas dump to bleed off excess pressure and tune the weapons cycle rate.
    So in a nutshell it's not as simple as the 5.56 vs. .223 chamber. Hmm, interesting how 5.56N has higher pressure than commercial .223, but 7.62N has lower pressure than commercial .308.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12