Thread: slant break

slant break

just got a century arm draco cant un screw the mussle cap to get to the threads to put on the break on went to a gun shop and he said it is welded on it has a pin you can push in and it is supposed to un screw and then screw the break on do you no if it is sealed on or the shop is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by coastbob View Post
    just got a century arm draco cant un screw the mussle cap to get to the threads to put on the break on went to a gun shop and he said it is welded on it has a pin you can push in and it is supposed to un screw and then screw the break on do you no if it is sealed on or the shop is wrong
    sure i's not just tack welded like the maadi?

and welcome to gns. which coast you on?
    admit nothing
    deny everything
    make counter accusations

break

can i put a break on thanks

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

you are aware that they are left hand threads, yes?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

You will need to use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to cut the spot weld. Then it will screw off. Remember to press in the retainer and screw it backwards, the threads are left hand. Its no big deal, just take your time and slowly cut into the weld.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

to the forum coastbob.

Yes, you can use other standard AK muzzle brakes once you remove the slant brake. It is just spot welded on. Most of those will have threads under the brake but there are some that are just pressed on with no threads - which will mean that you will need to thread the muzzle in order to screw-on the brakes...

I forget the actual size - I think its 1:14LH right?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    to the forum coastbob.

Yes, you can use other standard AK muzzle brakes once you remove the slant brake. It is just spot welded on. Most of those will have threads under the brake but there are some that are just pressed on with no threads - which will mean that you will need to thread the muzzle in order to screw-on the brakes...

I forget the actual size - I think its 1:14LH right?
    close, m14x1.0 lh.

breaking it down it means metric, 14mm thread diameter, 1.0 mm thread pitch, left hand thread.

thread diam works the same as std threads, 1/4", 5/16", ect. the thread pich is diffrent than std measurements. where std measurements go by threads per inch, ie, 1/4-20 would be a 1/4" bolt with 20 threads per inch, metric goes by thread pitch, of the lead of each thread, ie, a m14x1.0lh will have exactly 1mm between each thread crest and or root.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Forgive me for being dyslexic, but periods would be nice.

As to your problem, some of those brakes or caps are on really tight. As mentioned before, if a true AK thread they will be left hand, so turn the brake "the wrong way" to turn it off.

Also I have seen some that are pressed on and have no threads underneath, but worst, I did have one that was threaded to 1/2x28 US right hand. That one was really fun getting off!!!!

how long did you twist on that break b4 u relised it was right hand wish I was there 4 that.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Good Lord Robert.

Please allow me to translate:

"how long did you twist on that brake before you realized that it was a right hand thread? I wish I could have seen that. "
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The right hand one was a slant brake. I got to the point that I didn't care about saving it, so I used a nice large channel lock pliers and tried working it back and forth trying to brake it loose from the barrel. After I finally got it to move a bit, I noticed that the gap with the front sight was slightly larger moving the brake to the left than it was moving it right as would be with a left hand AK thread. Decided to see what would happen if I turned it hard left and sure enough it broke loose.

Would have made any DI blush at the language I used about the person or persons who threaded that barrel!