Thread: I just had the coolest thing happen.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I just had the coolest thing happen.

Obviously this shouldn't be a big deal, but in todays environment it kinda is.

My son has been bugging me for both of us to get a compound bow rig and hunt with them. So I've been kinda looking around and I've decided it would be best if I bought locally to be sure everything was fitted and setup properly, plus after the sale service is important to me.

Anyway after my recent experience with Bass Pro, I'm certainly not going to drive up to Columbia and look at their stuff, they can eat it as far as I'm concerned. So I've located a local archery only shop and I gave them a call. Not only did they answer the phone by the 3rd ring, they were friendly and seemed quite interested in setting Matt and I up. They have an indoor range you can try bows on and said they'd make sure everything fit both of us properly and would fit our needs. I like service and am willing to pay for it, it's just that these days it can be hard to find. Hopefully this works out well for us.

One thing tho, I don't want anything budget oriented, that doesn't work well for guns so I don't see it working for bows either. In short I think this might be expensive.
    Returns June 3rd.

Cool sounds great. I would like to get into archery one of these days.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Not so long ago, service like that was the norm. It's good to hear that someone wants to care about what you, the consumer, are shopping for.

There's a gun/archery shop in Moscow, Id where they all bend over backwards with knowledge.

A lament to society is the loss off this kind of service.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Yeah the more pulleys and strings you have the more expensive it is. You need the sights, and the counterweight and the sound dampener and....well it can cost.

I started out with a 35 pound recurve 'Bear' bow and for 40 years it was plenty. Then bad back and shoulder injury put me in the crossbow camp. It's nice because it keeps me in the game but I miss being able to shoot a bow. My cousin swears by his compound, I have no idea what it is but it takes an engineer to set it up. Rarely a year goes by where he doesn't get his deer, usually within 800 yards from his house so maybe he knows something I don't. Good luck and enjoy.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Been shooting and hunting the bow for just about 40 years now.

I can tell you that the higher end bows do have better parts. It is always best to buy from B&M, due to they can set you up properly. Bass Pro cannot do this period.

Put every bow in your hand for the feel and grip. Shoot the bow they allow you to shoot.

I have been shooting Mathews longer then most anyone shooting Mathews, as I was shootings Matt's bow when he owned another company, lol. I was also on his first pro shooting staff years ago. Currently I hunt with the Mathews Monster. It is a beast and every hog I take down, I am amazed what this bow can do. The last hog I shot last weekend was ranged at 62 yards. I put my 50 yards pins 4" high on the section I wanted the arrow to penetrate. How went 30 yards and dropped, "Double Boiler" ( aka double lung shoot). Flat flat flat shooting bow. My hunting bow weight is 72 lbs. with 30" draw.

Long Bow's I have Howard Hill and Jerry Hill long bows.

Recurve Bows, I have a custom Texas A&M special. The guy who made this bow was the Dean of there Ag dept. He made these as a hobbie, they are made out of Texas Mesquite. Have a pair of 50 lbs & 6o lbs limbs.

Have close to 20+ bows from target to hunting including some older Mathews 3D Hunter bows ans BlackMax. LOL

Back in the late 80's you could get a complete package for around $500.00 which includes a dozen arrows, quiver, bow release. Then thru the 90's a complete bow package (quality now) ran about $750.00.

Now I would think it is for sure around 800 to 1K.... Keep in mind the technolgy is night and day comared to twenty years ago. The further I would shot a elk was 30 yards which made huntign a pain in the arse. But now my last elk shot was 52 yard double lung shot. Again the flatter and harder kinectic energy is amazing. The longest I shot a pig and killed a pig with my older bow from the 80's was 45 yards, the longest I shot and killed a pig with my Mathews Monster was 70 yards.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    The most recently revised government version of anything supersedes all evidence to the contrary past, present or future. That's a working definition of authoritarianism.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Yeah the more pulleys and strings you have the more expensive it is. You need the sights, and the counterweight and the sound dampener and....well it can cost.

I started out with a 35 pound recurve 'Bear' bow and for 40 years it was plenty. Then bad back and shoulder injury put me in the crossbow camp. It's nice because it keeps me in the game but I miss being able to shoot a bow. My cousin swears by his compound, I have no idea what it is but it takes an engineer to set it up. Rarely a year goes by where he doesn't get his deer, usually within 800 yards from his house so maybe he knows something I don't. Good luck and enjoy.
    Heh, I've got a 40 lb Bear around here somewhere that my late father-in-law gave me in the mid 70's.

I wouldn't mind going the crossbow route, well, except thy're illegal to hunt with in Missouri.

No this should prove interesting, I know I'll have to become a better hunter to use the bow, it takes some skill and or luck to get within bow range of a crafty white tail.

I have a large backyard so Matt and I shouldn't have any problem putting the practice time. I think I may put a tree stand up in one of our walnut trees too, that should make for more realistic practice I'd think.
    Returns June 3rd.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    If I have a good experience at a small business such as that, I make sure I let them know.

I'll shake their hand and say, "You know you just made a customer for life."

Then I'll explain why. It's a way of ensuring they keep the honorable business practices.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns Network Staff View Post
    Been shooting and hunting the bow for just about 40 years now.

I can tell you that the higher end bows do have better parts. It is always best to buy from B&M, due to they can set you up properly. Bass Pro cannot do this period.

Put every bow in your hand for the feel and grip. Shoot the bow they allow you to shoot.

I have been shooting Mathews longer then most anyone shooting Mathews, as I was shootings Matt's bow when he owned another company, lol. I was also on his first pro shooting staff years ago. Currently I hunt with the Mathews Monster. It is a beast and every hog I take down, I am amazed what this bow can do. The last hog I shot last weekend was ranged at 62 yards. I put my 50 yards pins 4" high on the section I wanted the arrow to penetrate. How went 30 yards and dropped, "Double Boiler" ( aka double lung shoot). Flat flat flat shooting bow. My hunting bow weight is 72 lbs. with 30" draw.

Long Bow's I have Howard Hill and Jerry Hill long bows.

Recurve Bows, I have a custom Texas A&M special. The guy who made this bow was the Dean of there Ag dept. He made these as a hobbie, they are made out of Texas Mesquite. Have a pair of 50 lbs & 6o lbs limbs.

Have close to 20+ bows from target to hunting including some older Mathews 3D Hunter bows ans BlackMax. LOL

Back in the late 80's you could get a complete package for around $500.00 which includes a dozen arrows, quiver, bow release. Then thru the 90's a complete bow package (quality now) ran about $750.00.

Now I would think it is for sure around 800 to 1K.... Keep in mind the technolgy is night and day comared to twenty years ago. The further I would shot a elk was 30 yards which made huntign a pain in the arse. But now my last elk shot was 52 yard double lung shot. Again the flatter and harder kinectic energy is amazing. The longest I shot a pig and killed a pig with my older bow from the 80's was 45 yards, the longest I shot and killed a pig with my Mathews Monster was 70 yards.
    These guys here locally carry PSE, Bear and some other lesser known (to me anyway) bows. I know they are not a Matthews dealer. What do you think of PSE or Bear?
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    If I have a good experience at a small business such as that, I make sure I let them know.

I'll shake their hand and say, "You know you just made a customer for life."

Then I'll explain why. It's a way of ensuring they keep the honorable business practices.
    Makes sense, positive feedback is good for anyone, assuming they earned it. I was impressed with the young guy I talked to on the phone, he seemed to know his stuff, was friendly, and seemed genuinely concerned that Matt and I get setup correctly. We'll see.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    Not so long ago, service like that was the norm. It's good to hear that someone wants to care about what you, the consumer, are shopping for.

There's a gun/archery shop in Moscow, Id where they all bend over backwards with knowledge.

A lament to society is the loss off this kind of service.
    No doubt, I wish my local gun shops were better.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

yup, a good bow youll be around $1k

im a hoyt fan myself.

id ballbark $700 for a bow, $100 for a rest, $100 for a sight, and another $100 for the small stuff, quiver, string silencers, sling, ect. thats not counting arows. personally, i will still only use aluminum for hunting. either way, your looking at at least $60 a dozen, and dont forget the broadheads, release..... damn, now that i thnk of it, you ll prob be around $1200 by the time your done. of course, there are always areas you can skimp on.

Leonardabel
    Some one like a best as depends upon there likeness so we will be remind all aspects so never forget any way and conscious all matters so cool thing value consider those happen in real life.
    Last edited by Leonardabel; 12-23-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    yup, a good bow youll be around $1k

im a hoyt fan myself.

id ballbark $700 for a bow, $100 for a rest, $100 for a sight, and another $100 for the small stuff, quiver, string silencers, sling, ect. thats not counting arows. personally, i will still only use aluminum for hunting. either way, your looking at at least $60 a dozen, and dont forget the broadheads, release..... damn, now that i thnk of it, you ll prob be around $1200 by the time your done. of course, there are always areas you can skimp on.
    http://www.bing.com/shopping/bear-ar...ow&FORM=CMSMUR Recuves are still around and under $200. Can't tell me this with a sight and a release won't kill a dear dead if you place the arrow where it belongs in the game. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...=320817516644+ another sub $300 buck bow in this case a compound. I think it will kill deer as well. The notion that a person has to fork over $1200 or more to have a compound bow that you can kill a deer with is just insane. Snobbery I think is rampant in the bow community, it's one of the things that always turned me off about the organized bow shooters. Like HK owners, if you don't own brand X that costs a Ga-gillion bucks your shit and your gear is shit.

archery dealers are always way friendlier than say,a gunshop guy..........iMHO they are not as eager to make a sale as to get you set up correctly over time

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Kind of like black powder guys, they are usually super congenial and always happy to help anybody with a problem. I have met a few archers who weren't exactly your friendly neighborhood good guy but they were few and far between.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    http://www.bing.com/shopping/bear-ar...ow&FORM=CMSMUR Recuves are still around and under $200. Can't tell me this with a sight and a release won't kill a dear dead if you place the arrow where it belongs in the game. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...=320817516644+ another sub $300 buck bow in this case a compound. I think it will kill deer as well. The notion that a person has to fork over $1200 or more to have a compound bow that you can kill a deer with is just insane. Snobbery I think is rampant in the bow community, it's one of the things that always turned me off about the organized bow shooters. Like HK owners, if you don't own brand X that costs a Ga-gillion bucks your shit and your gear is shit.
    agreed completely, but the op wants to go to a shop and have th bow set up, which your likely not to find one that will do that wioth a used bow, IF you were lucky enough to find a used bow thats within the specs to actually work for you. and e-bay is never going to come out and set your bow up for you either.

and again, as i said, there are areas you can skimp on. i just saw a pretty damn nice sight setup on clearance at walmart for under $20, but again, as in the op, walmart is not going to show him how to mount it and sight it correctly on his bow.

its not about being snobby. just trying to accurately answer the op.