Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the best SKS?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Because it came first, before the AK. The RPD was the first weapon the Soviets had to field the 7.62x39 round developed in 1943.
    OK thanks I didn't know that. I had no idea the RPD was thier first gun in 7.62x39, I had always thought the SKS was. I knew that they developed that SKS before the AK. It is just one of those things I wonder why they developed it, and put it into service after the war. I had heard that they tested the first prototypes late in WW2, had the war gone on longer I can see why you would field it.

But after the war ended and their wasn't a huge rush for the latest greates gun I would have waited to devolope something better. It would seem to me that at the end of WW2 the writing was all over the wall as to the next step in small arms development. Which would have been a gun along the lines of the MP-44. The Russians already had an intermidete powered round developed all they needed was a gun to go with it. I would not have wasted my time and money fielding the SKS which feed from a fixed 10 round magazine and fired semi auto. I would have spent my time and money developing a rifle capable of being fired in full auto that feed from detachable box magazines with a high cpacity probably in the 20-40 round range. Or as fate would have it the AK.

It is one of those things where with the war over and no imidite pressing need for a new rifle why waste the resources to adopt a rifle that is pretty much already going to be obsolete in the near future. During the war it would make sense to get something long the lines of the SKS to the troops as it would provide an imidite incress in fire power of the Mosin Nagant.

It is very similer in my opnion to the US army wasting a million years on the concept of the Light automatic rifle at the end of WW2. Only to fail and come out with the M-14. Not that I think the M-14 is a bad rifle any more than I think the SKS is a bad rifle it is just one of those why? We enede up replacing the M-14 with the M-16 not long after we adopted the M-14. We went with the M-16 which ironicly was more in line with the direction of small arms development that britian tried to pull NATO to shortly after WW2.

Well any ways enough of my rambaling for this morning.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I usually don't dissagree with Schutz but the Romanian example that I owned was nice - in spite of being worn. But they are hard to find in good condition.

Seriously, don't buy a standard SKS if you intend to try and mod it to take removable mags, etc. - just cut to the chase and get an AKM.

And I don't think anybody answered the price question? I'm going to say $300 for a good condtion Norinco. But this depends on where you are - what demand, etc. - you say Georgia, so I think that's a good figure.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

The SKS was a great rifle when they were $99. Now, they are at, or about AK prices so you might as well go with an AK.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    The SKS was a great rifle when they were $99. Now, they are at, or about AK prices so you might as well go with an AK.
    They were even better when they were $79... I bought 4 at that price and 2 crates of Chinese steel core for $75 each... Damn, those were the good old days

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    OK thanks I didn't know that. I had no idea the RPD was thier first gun in 7.62x39, I had always thought the SKS was. I knew that they developed that SKS before the AK. It is just one of those things I wonder why they developed it, and put it into service after the war. I had heard that they tested the first prototypes late in WW2, had the war gone on longer I can see why you would field it.

But after the war ended and their wasn't a huge rush for the latest greates gun I would have waited to devolope something better. It would seem to me that at the end of WW2 the writing was all over the wall as to the next step in small arms development. Which would have been a gun along the lines of the MP-44. The Russians already had an intermidete powered round developed all they needed was a gun to go with it. I would not have wasted my time and money fielding the SKS which feed from a fixed 10 round magazine and fired semi auto. I would have spent my time and money developing a rifle capable of being fired in full auto that feed from detachable box magazines with a high cpacity probably in the 20-40 round range. Or as fate would have it the AK.

It is one of those things where with the war over and no imidite pressing need for a new rifle why waste the resources to adopt a rifle that is pretty much already going to be obsolete in the near future. During the war it would make sense to get something long the lines of the SKS to the troops as it would provide an imidite incress in fire power of the Mosin Nagant.

It is very similer in my opnion to the US army wasting a million years on the concept of the Light automatic rifle at the end of WW2. Only to fail and come out with the M-14. Not that I think the M-14 is a bad rifle any more than I think the SKS is a bad rifle it is just one of those why? We enede up replacing the M-14 with the M-16 not long after we adopted the M-14. We went with the M-16 which ironicly was more in line with the direction of small arms development that britian tried to pull NATO to shortly after WW2.

Well any ways enough of my rambaling for this morning.

The main reason to press the SKS into service was paranoia. They knew they were way behind with weapons and had to upgrade, even to a stop-gap weapon. And thank god they did, or else we wouldn't have a fun shooing toy!

Mine is a Norinco early import arsenal re-finished military rifle. I love it!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

I have one SKS, a Russian 1953 Tula in minty condition. One of the very few "safe queens" I own. I have to admit though it'll shoot circles around my AK's, the few times I've had it out.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I have several...

a Russian, Sino-Soviet, 2 Chinese, 2 Yugo M59, Yugo 59/66, and an Albanian. They are reliable rifles that are fun to shoot. Forget about the hi cap mags. They are pure junk. Besides, you run into federal compliance laws if you use them. People bad mouth the Chinese SKS but they are fine by me. In fact, I think they are the most accurate of the SKSs I have. chris3

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

The Chinese sks I own is very accurate.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I usually don't dissagree with Schutz but the Romanian example that I owned was nice - in spite of being worn. But they are hard to find in good condition.

Seriously, don't buy a standard SKS if you intend to try and mod it to take removable mags, etc. - just cut to the chase and get an AKM.

And I don't think anybody answered the price question? I'm going to say $300 for a good condtion Norinco. But this depends on where you are - what demand, etc. - you say Georgia, so I think that's a good figure.
    You have owned how many Romanian SKS rifles? I got in a dozen and went through all of them. Looks wise, not so bad but the actions were really sloppy in fit up to the stocks. The best one I took and tested, those are the results I posted. Sounds like you may have luked up.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You have owned how many Romanian SKS rifles? I got in a dozen and went through all of them. Looks wise, not so bad but the actions were really sloppy in fit up to the stocks. The best one I took and tested, those are the results I posted. Sounds like you may have luked up.
    My 58 Romanian is ugly as sin but shoots great. Mine makes 12 oz soda cans dance between 100 and 125 yards easily. Definately easier to shoot accurately than my SAR-1.

My experience with the SKS is owning a few Chinese variants in the 80s or 90s, and a Russian version since.

The Russian is a fantastic rifle, with reliable accuracy. The Chinese were not so great.

Now, I don't know about screwed in barrels or pinned barrels, as such knowledge was not readily available prior to the Internet. The Russin I presently own is quite accurate, if you can get past the creepy trigger. I enjoy shooting it quite a little bit. The Chinese were "OK" but I just always had a sort of distant appreciation for the design.

If it weren't for the trigger, I would prefer the SKS over the Kalashnikov in all circumstances.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    My experience with the SKS is owning a few Chinese variants in the 80s or 90s, and a Russian version since.

The Russian is a fantastic rifle, with reliable accuracy. The Chinese were not so great.

Now, I don't know about screwed in barrels or pinned barrels, as such knowledge was not readily available prior to the Internet. The Russin I presently own is quite accurate, if you can get past the creepy trigger. I enjoy shooting it quite a little bit. The Chinese were "OK" but I just always had a sort of distant appreciation for the design.

If it weren't for the trigger, I would prefer the SKS over the Kalashnikov in all circumstances.
    Only Russian SKS's I've seen had screwed in barrels vs. pinned. I may not be right on this but I think the Chicom SKS rifles are the only pressed and pinned barrel versions of the SKS.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I've only owned Norinco's and have never had any problems with them. I have the "Paratrooper" version now. It is factory altered to accept AK mags and it works great. It's harder to seat the mag than the AK, but once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.

For some reason, the grenade launcher muzzels don't appeal to me. I like the looks of a "clean" muzzle.

Looks like an M model. I've got one too. SKS-M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12