Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holsters?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Holsters?

We have talked about survival guns,vest,rucks,knives and such but what about holsters?

What is your preferred method of holsters for your shtf gear,drop leg,belt holster,should rig attaching to a vest?What is ideal for you?

When I'm on the lease I use just a standard belt holster typically on the strongside about 5 o'clock.

When I out in public I carry IWB concealed.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

My standard web gear holster is the Bianchi m-12 flap holster:

Works with a variety of autoloaders - like any of the 45's or other that I'd choose - 1911, Sig P-220, Glock 20, XD-45, S&W 4586

Have basic mag pouches to go with.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

This is the same as one gun, or one knife to me, and to me, there is no one over all, one holster does it all. The result is I have several for some guns, and none of them do all things well.
    Certainly in SHTF you will want more than one side arm even if they are the same thing. IE; (2) govt mod .45s say. maybe one is open carry while the other is not???

Me: I don't like giving up the tactic of surprise, so I probably would never open carry.

I would never want to give up my possition either, meaning to let a predator see me. Why would i? Make the SOB find me if he can, make him work to do it if i can, make him use up time and resources if i can. Weaken him while i stay in reserve.

If you ever find a one holster does it all I would be real interested.

swampdragon
    I use this Blackhawk holster.

You can use it as a drop-leg holster.
    You can take it off the drop-leg attachment and use it as a standard belt holster.
    It's also completely reversible in both configurations so it can be used either left or right handed.
    The inside of the holster is also adjustable, so it can be made to fit a pistol with and also without a tac light attached.
    It can also be used on a standard belt, but also on MOLLE gear too.

Uncle mikes drop leg.
    We will cut our enemies down in droves
    Our fires will be the substance of their nightmares
    The fields of the dead shall serve as evidence of our passing

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
    And I looked and behold, a pale horse
    And his name that sat on him was Death
    And Hell followed with him.

Ive tried all kinds of nice holsters over the years, from custom leather, to high speed tactical drop legs and for me, the only one that I found to work the best, is a elcheapo fobus paddle.
    Waterproof, durable, and easy to remove quickly if need to be.

I think a few posts on here over the years that Ive read by HDR, DD, and kalishnikev kind of got me thinking about my shtf load out stuff...
    That I might have to run into other people, or end up in a place where wearing all the heavy gear might not be the best bet.

Contact with anyone via firearms is pretty much what Im NOT looking for, so Id want to carry enough firepower to hit hard and get the hell out of dodge but not look like a barrel bristeling tank from a mile off...

I got a couple of cheap UTG shoulder holsters as well as a slide holster.

What I really want though is an inside the waistband crossdraw. I have extra long arms and strong side holsters don't work for me.

That, and I really want an M12 type Bianchi for my G19.

Rage

Holsters is another thing I've gone through ALOT of over the years. Both duty and off duty. On duty, I'm using a Safariland ALS that accomodates my TLR1. So far, it's the best duty holster I've ever used and it'll be what I strap on if SHTF. If I'm going clandestine, I've used those cheap $10 synthetic Uncle Mike's IWB's but I just purchased a Kholster IWB and a Crossbreed. Haven't received them yet but I'll let you know what I think when they get here. Both are hybrid leather/kydex IWB's.

I carry a Glock 22 w/ Surefire X200 in a Safariland ALS 6304...

I did modify it to a quick release strap but other than that it's bone stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

That's the same one I use, Glock 22 w/TLR1. I removed that goofy shield they put over the thumb brake because I kept hitting it when I would draw my weapon.

I'm looking at a Blade-Tech holster minus the knife for the G21 and Streamlight M3.Nice holster and you can get them in various colors.But general purpose everyday wear I go with the IWB style holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post

I'm looking at a Blade-Tech holster minus the knife for the G21 and Streamlight M3.Nice holster and you can get them in various colors.But general purpose everyday wear I go with the IWB style holsters.
    I like Blade-Tech. I use a UCH on a daily basis and have been considering the one you posted (in O.D.) for some time now.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

swampdragon
    Which holster has better retention?

AFAIK... The only retention for the BT is the thumbreak. The ALS has the thumbreak and a tension screw. The hood is there so someone trying to take your weapon has trouble pushing the thumbreak. The hood also prevents accidental activation.
    Skäl

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

And I have the HOL-011L. What can I say, I'm old school, web belt and canvas pouches too. Us dinosaurs go with what we was brung up with.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

swampdragon

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post

And I have the HOL-011L. What can I say, I'm old school, web belt and canvas pouches too. Us dinosaurs go with what we was brung up with.
    Well in your case, shouldn't you be using sticks and rocks then?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Well in your case, shouldn't you be using sticks and rocks then?
    Why do you think I have 3 holsters? 2 for rocks and one for a stick.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Why do you think I have 3 holsters? 2 for rocks and one for a stick.
    ha ha ha

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    AFAIK... The only retention for the BT is the thumbreak. The ALS has the thumbreak and a tension screw. The hood is there so someone trying to take your weapon has trouble pushing the thumbreak. The hood also prevents accidental activation.
    Do they come in any colors other than black?

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Do they come in any colors other than black?
    Yes they do od green tan etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast