Thread: Arizona's new law

Contributor 05/2012

Arizona's new law

Was reminded that it goes into effect in 2 days by the other thread, but didn't want to change the subject on that thread..........
    Help me understand. Currently, in Arizona(and elsewhere, I suppose?) there is Federal law that says you can turn over illegal's over to ICE, when you check their papers and find out they aren't legal? But AZ doesn't do that already? Or, they do, and ICE does nothing? So they need a State(but the same as Federal) law to "enforce" it?
    How exactly does this change things?
    Please don't think I don't support AZ. I do!

Quote Originally Posted by CigarGuy View Post
    Was reminded that it goes into effect in 2 days by the other thread, but didn't want to change the subject on that thread..........
    Help me understand. Currently, in Arizona(and elsewhere, I suppose?) there is Federal law that says you can turn over illegal's over to ICE, when you check their papers and find out they aren't legal? But AZ doesn't do that already? Or, they do, and ICE does nothing? So they need a State(but the same as Federal) law to "enforce" it?
    Basically, it enforces laws, already on the books, that the Feds aren't enforcing because it's not the politicaly "right thing" to do. Lose too many potential votes. It's not just the current administration, the last one was just as bad about it.

This might help:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_SB_1070
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Contributor 05/2012

Good link, thanks!
    So, the AZ LEO's are going to HAVE to do the follow up with requiring the production of "papers", where
    before they really didn't bother 'cause they knew it didn't matter?

Good link, thanks!
    So, the AZ LEO's are going to HAVE to do the follow up with requiring the production of "papers", where
    before they really didn't bother 'cause they knew it didn't matter?
    Only if the person is believed to have done something illegal. The cops just can't walk down the street asking people for "papers". That's what the media is portraying as well as the Obama adminstration. That can't be any futher from the truth.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

It basically takes the "sanctuary city" BS and stuffs it. LEO's will be required to check for citizenship if they have probable cause that the people are not citizens - while they are stopped for violating another law.

Right now, in many AZ cities, the police are directed by the local governments NOT to check. And the Feds have allowed this to stand.

From wikipedia:

"U.S. federal law requires certain aliens to register with the U.S. government,[5] and to have registration documents in their possession at all times.[6] The Arizona Act additionally makes it a state misdemeanor crime for an alien to be in Arizona without carrying the required documents,[7] bars state or local officials or agencies from restricting enforcement of federal immigration laws,[8] and cracks down on those sheltering, hiring and transporting illegal aliens.[9] The paragraph on intent in the legislation says it embodies an "attrition through enforcement" doctrine.[10]"
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

A few years back, one of our sheriffs “Joe Apaio” was arresting illegals and deporting them.
    The federal government stepped in and put a stop to it. Leaving us without any way to legally stop illegal immigration.
    The bad part is that when the Federal government stopped our local LE. they did not do a damn thing about the border. millions of illegals were allowed to simply walk in and their was not a damn thing our LE could do about it.

This law does nothing more than protect our LE from the US government.

I did not look long enough to find the original story of when the feds stepped in, but this is a good read and backs it up.
    http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...l?ana=from_rss

Contributor 05/2012

So, the officers can FINALLY start enforcing the law, but had to make a similar law at the State level to do it?
    Nice country we're becoming.........anyway, GOOD for AZ. I hope the stupid Feds don't get an injunction!?
    So, you(AZ) still can't turn them over to the Feds, right? You'll just keep them locked up for
    violating a STATE law, I suppose? Either the original offence that got them checked to begin with,
    or with not having the papers IF the original arrest offence doesn't stand?!

So, you(AZ) still can't turn them over to the Feds, right? You'll just keep them locked up for
    violating a STATE law, I suppose? Either the original offence that got them checked to begin with,
    or with not having the papers IF the original arrest offence doesn't stand?!
    IIRC
    Sheriff Joe would arrest them, try them and then send them back to Mexico with a felony on their record. It was all done on the state level. I’m sure he will follow the same practice.