Thread: NY - New York Assault Weapons Bill Would Ban Common Hunting Firearms

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post NY - New York Assault Weapons Bill Would Ban Common Hunting Firearms

Friday, January 21st, 2011 at 7:49 PM

New York Assault Weapons Bill Would Ban Common Hunting Firearms

Even more dangerous, the bill gives the one person, the Superintendent of State Police, the authority to regulate and classify additional firearms as assault weapons.

Remington Model SP-10 Thumbhole Shotgun would be Outlawed

Columbus, OH --(Ammoland.com)- A bill in New York would redefine “assault weapon” to include many firearms that are commonly used for hunting.

Assembly Bill 1479, introduced by Asm. Linda Rosenthal (D-New York), changes the state’s definition of “assault weapon.” The new definition would classify firearms commonly used for hunting, like semi-automatic shotguns that have a thumbhole stock or a pistol grip, as assault weapons.

Currently, possession of “assault weapons” in the state are generally prohibited.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/01/21/n...ting-firearms/

A 1479 - http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A01479&term=2011

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have a baseball bat that I would use to assault someone before I would ever dream of using a firearm. Ban all "assault weapons" ban Louisville Sluggers!!!!!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I have a baseball bat that I would use to assault someone before I would ever dream of using a firearm. Ban all "assault weapons" ban Louisville Sluggers!!!!!
    Not to worry unless you put a scary looking thumb hole in the grip of the bat thus making it more powerful, deadlier, faster, more accurate and has the ability to cause people to become evil mindless killer zombies merely by being in the same room with it.
    While AB 1479 does include an exemption that allows citizens to keep newly declared “assault weapons” that are possessed before July 1, 2012 the exemption does little to ease the concerns of sportsmen. The bill in turn requires that those firearms that are “grandfathered in” be rendered inoperable or mandates their registration with the state. Even after proper registration, the bill only allows those firearms to be used at a licensed gun range and not while hunting.
    On the other hand if you can prove you owned it for years and years and years and declare it you are protected. Ain't Justice and Liberty for all a great and wonderful thing. Isn't it grand that legislators can't be impeached and removed from office for being complete morons.

Aw crap, I have enough stupid going on right here in Madison Wisconsin and here I am railing and ranting at New York, shame on me, just shame on me.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.