Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staying awake on patrol ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The obvious stupidity of this thread aside, if the war ever got so bad that troops that were so fatigued that they had to stick stinging, burning shit in their eyes to say awake were being sent out out on patrol, I'm sure Uncle same would just issue Ritalin tablets.

I took one once in my college days and I stayed awake for 72 hours or more, and never got even a little bit tired. On the second night, I dug through a closet at like three in the morning and started building left over model airplane kits from when I was in jr. high.
    I've HEARD (don't know if it's true... but it makes perfect sense) that for some missions, some Soldiers are issued Dexadrine (or some other kind of "upper") to be used to maintain mental alertness until a long mission is over.

I know that the Apollo astronauts had Dexadrine in their medkits, and I read a long time ago that some mission (to Libya I think) there were two fighter planes and one lost electrical power and the other plane did a fuel dump to light a giant flare to give the first plane a heading. In that article they mentioned that due to the length of the mission they used "speeders" of some sort to stay alert and finish the mission.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Oh yeah great! That's just what we need!

...A bunch of Ritalin strung out soldiers throwing model airplanes at the enemy...while blinded by Tabasco sauce...
    Methylphenidate is great stuff if you need an extra 8 hours of mental clarity!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 a-kmanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by printerman View Post
    C'mon D-Dawg , this is a legitimate question ! This is what I heard and Tabasco made these bottles for our troops .
    Actually they were designed by NASA in 1969 for our astronauts so they could stay awake on their long trip to the moon

C'mon D-Dawg , this is a legitimate question ! This is what I heard and Tabasco made these bottles for our troops .
    Not true. They weren't made just for our troops. I bought a case of those little Tabasco bottles at a resturant supply store.
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

[IMG]Mini-Tabasco ! Is it true our service men and women are keeping themselves awake with drops of hot-sauce to the eyes ?
    Innocence is bliss or was it ignorance is bliss???

Wow I must have wasted those, I always thought they were in the MREs to make the food taste better.

Come to think of it I did hear about guys putting a big wad of the dehydrated coffee in their mouth like a dip of chew to stay awake. I tried it once and it tasted like shit so I think it might have been a joke along the lines of a box of grid squares.
    Last edited by NAPOTS; 07-27-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12