Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range report, 3 degrees, 3 CAI VZ58's, 120rds, no issues

Range report, 3 degrees, 3 CAI VZ58's, 120rds, no issues

I wish it would of been warmer because I might shot a little longer but when it's 3 degrees there's only so much time you're going to be willing to spend on the range. Regardless I managed to get 40rds through each rifle, 10 slow fire, 20 fast, then I let each set and put another 10 through each at the end. There were no issues at all and each worked as well as I could of hoped for. Accuracy seemed more then acceptable, as by time I made it back down range the 9 inch target was peppered pretty good with most of the black gone (no I wasn't going down range between rifles to put up a new target).

BTW To prep the rifles I took them apart, cleaned and lubed them (probably over lubed them) then worked the action back and forth till they seemed smooth, after which I took them apart one more time to clean out the now dirty oil and finally putting them back together (oiled again) for the shoot.

Overall at $350 I think they are a great buy, the rep is somewhat spotty but I think they've improved upon their first offerings and seem to have a decent rifle for the price.

Here they are in all their over oiled lubed, prerange trip glory

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Glad to hear you are three for three, and at that price, an amazing deal! The VZ58 is really a nice shooting rifle. Thanks for the range report!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Did these models come with the ability to attach the bayonet?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Did these models come with the ability to attach the bayonet?
    Yes they come with the ability to accept a bayonet. I bought an accessory pack that came with 4 mags, a pouch, bayo and cleaning kit and all them took a bayonet. One odd thing about the CZ58 is the bayo sides on from the back, you push it forward to lock it on the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Yes they come with the ability to accept a bayonet. I bought an accessory pack that came with 4 mags, a pouch, bayo and cleaning kit and all them took a bayonet. One odd thing about the CZ58 is the bayo sides on from the back, you push it forward to lock it on the rifle.
    All of the samples I have seen at the local shops were missing the bayonet lugs.Then what you have is a hell of a good deal.

They were probably czech made d-technik vz-58's which are supposedly much better quality (at twice the price also). They use OEM VZ58 barrels with a extension to 16 inches VS the CAI model which uses a USA made 16 in barrel. I guess due to import regs the bayo lugs are removed on the d-technik vz-58's while the CAI version has them. Many with the d-technik vz-58's really talk down the CAI versions but from my experience I think they are worth the money.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Thanks for the report. That's a good deal.

I cannot say for the certain but the price on the samples I played with were inline with what you paid.I think 450.00 was the highest I saw these at.One mag included nothing else.

You might want to check them out, if they are original d-techniks that would be quite a buy. The lug on these is sort of odd, a low profile dovetail with hooks at the front, it might also be you just missed it as it doesn't look like an AK lug at all. Mags are aluminum and can be had from various places in the $13-15 range (czechpointUSA, Apex, Coles and Midway). I wish they would of standardized on AK mags but having the bolt hold open feature meant an extension on the back.

From your pics the FSB on the ones I saw were smooth like the FSB on my MAK-90 like was.Showed signs of grinding.

Interesting did they have fixed or folding stocks? ORF and others also made versions these and it might be one of those.

Interesting did they have fixed or folding stocks? ORF and others also made versions these and it might be one of those.
    Fixed,and one thumbhole style black plastic version.

The plastic thumbhole is a feature of the d-techniks, I wonder if these might be single stack models, they also imported a version like that (and tough to convert).

The plastic thumbhole is a feature of the d-techniks, I wonder if these might be single stack models, they also imported a version like that (and tough to convert).
    The thumbhole did not have a mag it was at the Cabela's on the used guns rack,the others were at my FFL of choice and had double stacks.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm glad to hear the rifles turned out ok. Have you tried using an SKS stripper clip in them?

Well sounds like a great rifle. If I come across one I may get one. A long time ago I wanted one bad when they weren't being imported of course. Since then my interest has died off a bit, though now you are reviving it.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Too bad the Czech made guns don't come in that funky naval blue/grey paint anymore.

I just ordered the century vz2008 from J&G, stay tuned for a range report.

I have since bought a fixed stock model, I don't like it as much as the folders, I find the folders more comfortable to shoot for some odd reason, the cheek slap on the bakelite stock is uncomfortable to me.

What kind of accuracy did you get from your rifles, Mriddick?

Also, did you ever check the function of SKS stipper clips in it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast