Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In your opinion, whats the worst firearm ever invented?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    French "sho-sho" machinegun, or however you say it. For always jamming and making the operator die.

Chauchat or "show-shah" and the magazines were open sided.

Anything by Taurus.

I am sure I will get scolded for this, but the 1911. Not the original military pistol, and not guns made to fill that sort of role. But I hate going into a gun shop and asking to see a pistol and having some crabby old man tell me what a moron I am for not carrying some 2300 dollar 1911 knockoff.

Sorry, but why would I want a single stack, single action only pistol that costs 3x as much as a Glock, or an XD, or a HK, or a Sig, or a CZ?
    Last edited by Nimbly; 02-07-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

“It’s not the Gun in Gun Control that bothers me. It’s the Control" -Nimbly

"A cop is to heavy to carry in my pocket, that is why I carry a gun" -unknown

Ron Paul - 2012

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    I am sure I will get scolded for this, but the 1911. Not the original military pistol, and not guns made to fill that sort of role. But I hate going into a gun shop and asking to see a pistol and having some crabby old man tell me what a moron I am for not caring some 2300 dollar 1911 knockoff.

Sorry, but why would I want a single stack, single action only pistol that costs 3x as much as a Glock, or an XD, or a HK, or a Sig, or a CZ?
    You know that its not mandatory for a good 1911 to cost that much, right? I agree that many are overpriced, but what you get for that price is usually a super tight lock up and an excellent trigger.

remington 742 jamamatic

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Lorcin/Jennings...
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I am sure I will get scolded for this, but the 1911. Not the original military pistol, and not guns made to fill that sort of role. But I hate going into a gun shop and asking to see a pistol and having some crabby old man tell me what a moron I am for not carrying some 2300 dollar 1911 knockoff.

At 3X the price he is the moron.

The original plain jane 1911A1 has an earned reputation of being the fix for a bad situation. As the bad situations were in conflicts, wars and the world at war; combat tempered steel is hard to beat even if all it has is a single stack magazine in a single action pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    At 3X the price he is the moron.

The original plain jane 1911A1 has an earned reputation of being the fix for a bad situation. As the bad situations were in conflicts, wars and the world at war; combat tempered steel is hard to beat even if all it has is a single stack magazine in a single action pistol.
    I just feel that for the price of most 1911, there are so many pistols that are higher capacity, lighter weight, or safer than the 1911. I know that 100 years ago the 1911 was so far ahead of it's time, there was nothing like it. I don't think it is so much the gun itself, but the mentality that the 1911 is the only pistol in America is what gripes me. I have shot them, and for the most part I like them, but as a CCW I would want something small and double action. As for a combat pistol I would take the 1911 over a 9mm Beretta. But the 1911 would lose (in my opinion) to any high quality, high capacity .40 S&W or .45 ACP.
    "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

“It’s not the Gun in Gun Control that bothers me. It’s the Control" -Nimbly

"A cop is to heavy to carry in my pocket, that is why I carry a gun" -unknown

Ron Paul - 2012

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Actually I enjoy shooting mine. I double hand grip it and I hit everything I aim at. It's impractical, but fun and (cheap ... well it WAS) WAIT, DO YOU HAVE ONE? I'm curious. or do you just hate it because 'thugs' like it? Well thugs here like cheap pistols and (surprise) sawed off double barreled shotguns.
    I liked mine too (had one back in '96-'97)...load it up and spray 9mm hardball everywhere. It was alot of fun.

....when I needed money though it was the first thing to get sold.

I just feel that for the price of most 1911, there are so many pistols that are higher capacity, lighter weight, or safer than the 1911. I know that 100 years ago the 1911 was so far ahead of it's time, there was nothing like it. I don't think it is so much the gun itself, but the mentality that the 1911 is the only pistol in America is what gripes me. I have shot them, and for the most part I like them, but as a CCW I would want something small and double action. As for a combat pistol I would take the 1911 over a 9mm Beretta. But the 1911 would lose (in my opinion) to any high quality, high capacity .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

Well...yeah but that doesn't make the 1911 the worst firearm....that just makes the fanboy "don't bother me with facts" mentality the worst mind-set.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman762nato View Post
    Anything by Taurus.
    lol...yep.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    lol...yep.

DANGGGG!

But to be fair from to the Taurus owners, they do have a full warranty for such things, you just have to send it to them on your own dime, then wait for 6 mos for them to fix it the first time, get it home, notice its still broken, then send it back for another two months, also on your time, then get it home to notice, well, you bought a cheap ass firearm!

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    DANGGGG!

But to be fair from to the Taurus owners, they do have a full warranty for such things, you just have to send it to them on your own dime, then wait for 6 mos for them to fix it the first time, get it home, notice its still broken, then send it back for another two months, also on your time, then get it home to notice, well, you bought a cheap ass firearm!
    Taurus would have to pay "me" just to keep one of their guns in my house. Let alone actually shoot it.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

There is a similar video of a Ruger Redhawk doing the same thing.

Edit:FOUND IT!

Smith KB.

Last edited by AKTexas; 02-15-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Taurus would have to pay "me" just to keep one of their guns in my house. Let alone actually shoot it.
    You sir seemed scared to be part of the "8 finger" club!

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    There is a similar video of a Ruger Redhawk doing the same thing.

Edit:Cannot find it but not giving up.

Smith KB.

All brands have been known to have occasional failures at one point or another.
    This is true.
    No doubt.
    But Taurus seems to have the bull's share of problems overall by far. (pun intended)

Ruger for instance has some of toughest revolvers ever made.
    You'd have to have a one-in-a-million lemon, or load it up with way over-pressure cartridges or something stupid for the most part.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

All brands have been known to have occasional failures at one point or another.
    This is true.
    No doubt.
    But Taurus seems to have the bull's share of problems overall by far. (pun intended)

Ruger for instance has some of toughest revolvers ever made.
    You'd have to have a one-in-a-million lemon, or load it up with way over-pressure cartridges or something stupid for the most part.
    I own 3 Taurus revolvers,and three autos.Each of these have had no issues in fit,finish,and function.Of the recent purchases in the last few years to date.There has been more issues with the QC with the the 3 Smith's,2 Rugers,and one Colt Gold Cup.Minor issues but for the money spent these should have been perfect.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I don't know about that, I've seen more Rugers at the range KB then Taurus's. Maybe it's because people tend to hotrod their black hawks but I must of seen half a dozen black hawks on the walls of shops in pieces over the years... Quite a few swiths and colts too (in all fairness those two have about a 150 year head start on Taurus).

swampdragon
    OK then.
    Keep your Taurus guns.
    It's OK with me.
    I just don't want one, and never will.
    I've seen more negative reviews of Taurus than S&W and Ruger combined.

Are you counting negative reviews of the mini 14? I think that model has all others beat combined

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast