Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, at least they work. Fired up 2 cheap WalMart oil lamps.

I bought a large and small lamp like these at Biglots years ago for $2 each.

Have worked perfectly, nice to have on hand if power wold go out and I have to retreat to the garage to stay warm.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

At last count....

I have 94 glass kerosene oil lamps. Most of them are pre-1900. Yep, I am a lamp and C&R junkie.

If you trim the wick straight across, you get more light as the flame has two points to it. If you trim it rounded, like the top of the burner, you get a candle flame. REMEMBER, keep the flame low until the chimny warms up. I shattered a 100 year old chimney by turning the flame up too quickly.

To cut down on smell, use non-odorous oil. It is fefined cleaner than the cheap oil. You don't need to change the wick when you change the oil.

The Alladin type lamps put out almost as much light as a Coleman lantern.

Oil lamps put out alot of heat. Remember John Wayne lighting his cigar off a lamp chimny in the movie "The man who shot liberty valance".....
    Last edited by coppertales; 02-01-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

"To cut down on smell, use non-odorous oil. It is fefined cleaner than the cheap oil."

So where can you find it?
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

That's just the standard lamp oil isn't it? Walmart? Or not...?

And how long does a fill of oil last (assume cheap wallyworld lamp, round trim on wick)?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I too would like to know more about cleaner lamp oil.
    Returns June 3rd.

Also - we have an old lamp - the brass wick holder in the middle is marked "macbeth" on one side and "Nu-Type" on the other. Whatcha think of that? It's base is clear glass as-is the chimney.

This is kinda like the antique roadshow

Think I've posted this before. My area is prone to power outages:

I've also got one mounted in the bedroom plus two more for moving around.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Think I've posted this before. My area is prone to power outages:

I've also got one mounted in the bedroom plus two more for moving around.
    Mine are like yours.
    I have a handful of glass lanterns from Lamplight Farms that I've had and used for years and years now.

One good lamp oil...

https://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_...___52243?Args= I have not used this particular brand but it says the same thing as the brand I use. The jug is out in the garage and I don't want to open the door, it is 20 degrees out. When it warms up above freezing, I will get the brand. I got it at a local hardware store, either a Tru Value or Ace. I get it in a 2 gallon jug which last me quite a while. I will see if I can come up with the name. You can find alot of antique oil lamps on ebay under kerosene lamps....chris3

The brand of lamp oil I use is "Ultra Pure Pariffin Lamp Oil". I see it on Ace, Tru Value, and Walmart's web site.....chris3
    Last edited by coppertales; 02-01-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Don't know as I've never burned one every night for a week.
    Last time I used them for a week was the ice storm of 2005 and the 3' snow in 2000.

How could you miss all the fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    That was pretty obvious right off, these things throw some heat. Which makes the Dietz cooking model seem quite viable, but yeah, might be a bitch in the heat of the summer, probably better have good screens on the windows.
    The glass ones are open on top which passes heat same as a chimney. Except once I've lived where the power goes out often all my life so I've had both types for about 35-40 years. So I take short duration prepping seriously. The Dietz cooking model works decently but not much capacity for a family. OTOH, better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    https://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_...___52243?Args= I have not used this particular brand but it says the same thing as the brand I use. The jug is out in the garage and I don't want to open the door, it is 20 degrees out. When it warms up above freezing, I will get the brand. I got it at a local hardware store, either a Tru Value or Ace. I get it in a 2 gallon jug which last me quite a while. I will see if I can come up with the name. You can find alot of antique oil lamps on ebay under kerosene lamps....chris3

The brand of lamp oil I use is "Ultra Pure Pariffin Lamp Oil". I see it on Ace, Tru Value, and Walmart's web site.....chris3
    Paraffin, that's petroleum too, if used indoors it doesn't smell or bother you at all? I know this citronella oil I have isn't real good indoors.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Last time I used them for a week was the ice storm of 2005 and the 3' snow in 2000.

How could you miss all the fun?

The glass ones are open on top which passes heat same as a chimney. Except once I've lived where the power goes out often all my life so I've had both types for about 35-40 years. So I take short duration prepping seriously. The Dietz cooking model works decently but not much capacity for a family. OTOH, better than nothing.
    Well, I've got the camp stove and a half dozen little propane bottles for it. Of course our cooktop and oven are natural gas, so obviously even without electricity I'd probably have use of those, but, ya never know.

I'd think two or three of these lamps would heat a smaller room, but I'd be concerned with the fumes.
    Returns June 3rd.

There is a very slight odor...

nothing like standing behind a jet engine or such. I notice it at first when we light up but I don't notice it after that. Where I do notice it is when we light up a half dozen lamps or so. My collection is centered around specific designs and some designs I have 6/8 of different sizes. I have quite a few finger lamps. They are cool.

Get a quart size and see if it bothers you. It is meant to be used indoors. They warm up a room on a cold day......chris3

Yo, HDR.....

check flea markets for Coleman stoves, both the propane kind and white gas kind. I see them all the time for less than 20 bucks. You can cook anything you cook on a stove top on them. I picked up one made in the 30s for 8 bucks. It is a real old timer but in good shape. The tank pump holds air so I need to fire it up one of these days. I have a big three burner Coleman I got for 10 bucks. The only thing wrong with it is the check valve in the air pump was stuck. It took a minute to free it up, the guy used regular car gas in it, and it works just fine. The later models can use car gas but I never do....chris3

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

swampdragon
    check flea markets for Coleman stoves, both the propane kind and white gas kind. I see them all the time for less than 20 bucks. You can cook anything you cook on a stove top on them. I picked up one made in the 30s for 8 bucks. It is a real old timer but in good shape. The tank pump holds air so I need to fire it up one of these days. I have a big three burner Coleman I got for 10 bucks. The only thing wrong with it is the check valve in the air pump was stuck. It took a minute to free it up, the guy used regular car gas in it, and it works just fine. The later models can use car gas but I never do....chris3
    My Coleman stove and Lantern are both duel fuel.
    I can run Coleman Fuel or unleaded gasoline in them.
    Had them for years.
    They still work great.
    Will never get rid of them.
    Some things just work so well, that even when new stuff comes out...it's still better to just replace your old stuff with the same thing.

I hate propane.
    The cans never last long enough.
    And, I can store a couple 5 gal cans of unleaded gas for less money and easier availability around here.
    Propane is for suckers.
    lol...

I had to break out a...

few oil lamps this morning. Right after I made coffee, the power went out. They have 15 minute rolling blackouts going today. Too many folks have the heaters turned up too high. You would be amaized how much dust a lamp chimney gathers while it is sitting there on the shelf. chris3

few oil lamps this morning. Right after I made coffee, the power went out. They have 15 minute rolling blackouts going today. Too many folks have the heaters turned up too high. You would be amaized how much dust a lamp chimney gathers while it is sitting there on the shelf. chris3
    Crap! Same here. Texas has rolling black outs to "conserve" electricity. Woke up with no power. Only 25 here but still. . . Called my folks to make sure they layed in a fire (it's 10 there). The reports are the planned rolling blackouts are 10-45 minutes but some people are claiming it is lasting much longer than an hour.

Stay warm folks - and watch out for the global warming.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Just had another black out....

If there weren't so many illegals in TX using up all the electricity, we would not have this problem. I dragged the Coleman stove and lanterns out of the garage and pulled the generator next to the door in case I need it.......This is Texas hospitality. We want the Packers to feel at home.......chris3

Those olive oil lamps look super easy to make - just some wire bent to hold the wicck and some wick, and fill with the oil to just under the tip of the wick. Viola!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast