Thread: More night vison hog hunting

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

More night vison hog hunting

My son and I went to Madisonville and headed out to where we would hunt. We waited for the sun to disappear and we headed out. We were away from the trucks for about 30 minutes when we rounded a corner and spotted hogs in a pasture. There were 32 of the boogers in this group. We parked the Ranger and grabbed rifles and started stalking across the field. It was a pretty cool feeling to be walking in a wide open field with no fear of the hogs seeing us. The goggles created our own daylight in an otherwise pitch black night. We moved in and set up our shooting sticks. Raised our goggles and got on the NV scopes. Once we were situated and had targets acquired, we counted down 3-2-1 BOOM... It was ON!!!! Pigs scattered all over the pasture and we commenced to sending hot lead into our panicking prey. When the smoke cleared (or rather when the mags were empty) we had nine pigs down. Not bad for the 1st stalk of the night

We drove around for a couple of hours after the initial volley without seeing anymore pigs. We saw countless deer, skunks and armadillos but now piggies to be found. We did manage to pop an unsuspecting coyote to help pass some time.

For those that haven't had the opportunity to view the world through quality NV equipment, all I can say is you have NO IDEA what you're missing. When you get away from town and look in the sky on a crystal clear night your eyes see millions of stars and it's a beautiful sight. Enter the NV world. NOW look at the sky. The millions of stars that you saw with your naked eyes just turned to BILLIONS & BILLIONS and goes from beautiful to absolutely AWE inspiring!!! The next pic does no justice to what we actually saw because I was trying to hold my helmet with one hand and hold my cell phone camera centered on one of the tubes of my goggles to get a pic. The Milkyway looked like a cloud of solid stars.

As we were winding down the night, we came to another pasture and I spotted a group of pigs so we parked the Ranger once again and began our stalk. There were 3 or 4 BIG pigs in the group with a bunch of little ones. As we were approaching, we noticed that the wind was about to cause us to be busted so we had to adjust our coarse a bit which also gave us more shooting room as it put a herd of cows more to our backs. We got on our sticks and just as we were about ready let 'em have it, one of the big sows got spooky. Apparently she winded us so they were about to make a break for it. We opened fire on them but they didn't have far to go for cover in this pasture but we ended up getting the 2 biggest pigs of the night. I shot a sow that was approx 250 #'s and TJ put a beautiful head shot on his. His pig would have weighed approx 175 #'s or so. Clark drug up with the Ranger so we could take some pics and wrap the night up.

My little brave pig slayer

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

This little piggy went to market...
    This little piggy should have stayed home...
    This little piggy ate lead and died from his wounds...
    This little piggy died from fright...
    This little piggy went splat all the way home...

Awe no more piggys...
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Dogblaster I have a PVS14 but am curious as to what type of scope you are using. I have been tempted to mount the 14 behind an Eotech and try my hand at night hunting pigs with my AR. I counted 23 one morning and my dad and his group killed 8 last Saturday. Thanks for the post. This gets my blood pumping

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

I have an ATN Aries Spartan MK?... It's a gen 1+ but with a good IR illuminator the range is increased greatly. The IR that came with it sucks past about 30 yards or so...

Thanks. I have been checking them out and watching the vids on youtube of the night hunts. Seems like everyone uses some sort of external IR illuminator.

I spoke to these guys at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor show in Harrisburg PA.

www.jagerpro.com

for those who don't have their own night vision or don't live where piggy are common it looks like a lot of fun Flir and a Browning BAR

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Dang dude, you weren't kidding. Looks fun as heck!!!!!!!!!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Leonardabel
    There are a lot of ideas and vision according to best results so we will be remind all aspects so more night become a best source for hunting so be ready for best.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardabel View Post
    There are a lot of ideas and vision according to best results so we will be remind all aspects so more night become a best source for hunting so be ready for best.
    WTF? Over...
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

outstanding hog slaying!

Smile

That's awesome man!

That's enough meat to fill up a nice chest freezer.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

ive been watching a bunch of vids using flir for night hunting, thats cool as shit, until i started looking at teh prices on ir scopes!! :0

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    nice hog hunt brother! bet you had one heck of a processing bill,lol

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Damn! Your son looks like a true hog warrior. You keep this up and you're gonna
    have to open a Pig Parlor eatery. I see they're heading north. Don't worry little
    piggy we'll leave a light on for ya!
    Just me and my monkey....

always wanted to go hog hunting. NV id fun to hunt with. I tried to hunt some yotes with nv, too bad was gen 1 nv and we didn't see much. Nice pile of meat, would love to have some of that in my freezer. Good job.