Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought an SVD need input

Bought an SVD need input

Went to a gun show today and bought
    SVD Dragunov PSL-54
    7.62x54R NEW GUN with 24" Chrome Lined Barrel, Compenator, ORIG Military 4x Range Finder Reticule Scope.
    QUESTION
    What ammo? I have TONS of Brown Bear and Silver Bear PLUS plenty of Norma Brass to load my own. I have 91/31 and (2) Ak47's so I understand the basics of the SVD and the ammo that I shoot in the 91/31 and the 44.
    Thank you
    George P.

Attached Images Attached Images

It's not an SVD, it's a romanian PSL. Whomever told you it was an SVD/Dragunov lied.

Ammowise, the last I heard the light ball and silvertip worked best in them, YMMV of course.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    It's not an SVD, it's a romanian PSL. Whomever told you it was an SVD/Dragunov lied.

Ammowise, the last I heard the light ball and silvertip worked best in them, YMMV of course.
    What Lysander said! Stick with the LPS (light ball, silver tip is same thing), it is more forgiving on parts and your shoulder.

For accuracy, the 7N1 sniper ammo is the way to go. If you want to get some, I might sell some, just got to open a new can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post

Seller at the Show his tag SAYS SVD DRAGUNOV PSL-54
    So translation is PDL-54 that is a Dragunov STYLE Correct?
    Gun is NEW from Century.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Yep, a PSL... About $8K difference in price. Still though a worthy firearm. The SVD has a short throw piston while the PSL is a up sized AK with a long throw piston.

With the exception of the Yugo M76 in 8mm Mauser all the com-block sniper semis do better with the lighter ammo. Heavy ammo hammers the receivers too hard and causes problems. Stick to the 140/150 grain bullet weights. Try serveral loads and you should get down to a 1.5" group at 100 yards/meters. If you look around you should find mags at
    $20 to $25 each; I bought eight spares for mine.

I'd also consider a 6x, 8x or 3x-9x variable scope for it. Most come with a 4x or no scope and the rifles can do better than the 4x scope. The com-block scopes are not all that expensive with the 8x well less than $200.

Enjoy the new rifle, you'll like it.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Added your photo to your post.

Unfortunately the seller isn't being honest, or just doesn't know and isn't willing to admit it, but the PSL and the Dragunov or SVD are two different beasts. They just share a family resemblance. Real SVD:

Don't get us wrong, the PSL and its variants are nice rifles, just not SVD/Dragunov/Tigers. Oh, the scope is in fact common with the SVD so there is a slight connection.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by georgep View Post
    Seller at the Show his tag SAYS SVD DRAGUNOV PSL-54
    So translation is PDL-54 that is a Dragunov STYLE Correct?
    Gun is NEW from Century.
    Sorry, not an SVD the tag was incorrect or a purposful lie. What you have is a stretch limo version of the AK47 chambered as you know in 54R. An SVD is entirely different in construction when it comes to the gas system. They are much more complex. The PSL is as Lysander stated a Romanian built weapon. I've shot an SVD variant called a Tiger and I've shot the PSL. Frankly the PSL had less recoil and was as accurate. A real SVD is in the $4,000 range or more.

I see imanaknut has posted images of true SVD type weapons, both are probably Tiger carbines. Norinco did import a Chicom version of the SVD, they too are very very ... very expensive and one almost never sees them anymore. All are probably in the hands of collectors. They had a very shiny finish on them, not what I'd call stealthy to put it mildly.

Don't get us wrong the PSL is not a hunk of junk, it just isn't a SVD Dragunov weapon. On ammo, should like 147 gr. light ball what most call Sliver Tipps. If you can find any Hungarian lt. ball it will probably do very will with it. Also look for some 1980s vintage Russian in spam cans, also pretty good ammo.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 01-29-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Added your photo to your post.

Unfortunately the seller isn't being honest, or just doesn't know and isn't willing to admit it, but the PSL and the Dragunov or SVD are two different beasts. They just share a family resemblance. Real SVD:

Don't get us wrong, the PSL and its variants are nice rifles, just not SVD/Dragunov/Tigers. Oh, the scope is in fact common with the SVD so there is a slight connection.
    Thanks for the image update. There was a REAL SVD at the show for $8,995.00 and then I saw this one for $550.00 with a scope and said to the wife either this guy has no clue or it is just a good deal on a "NEW GUN" which is what was on the card. He wanted $795.00 but I pulled out $550.00 Cash and that was that.
    So I guess I did ok, we are going to put a night scope on it to clear some Varments out of our land that eat all the corn and make a mess. Should be fun!!
    The scope on it is a 4x Tridun (spelling) that is probably dead from age. It is VERY CLEAR and not beat to death.
    Thanks all

Thanks for the image update. There was a REAL SVD at the show for $8,995.00 and then I saw this one for $550.00 with a scope and said to the wife either this guy has no clue or it is just a good deal on a "NEW GUN" which is what was on the card. He wanted $795.00 but I pulled out $550.00 Cash and that was that.
    So I guess I did ok, we are going to put a night scope on it to clear some Varments out of our land that eat all the corn and make a mess. Should be fun!!
    The scope on it is a 4x Tridun (spelling) that is probably dead from age. It is VERY CLEAR and not beat to death.
    Thanks all
    OH HELL YEAH! You got that PSL with the scope for $550, you did a super deal there fella! Normally they are $700+. Congrats on your very good deal!

Great at least we did not get ripped off. Notices on another thread about the trigger on a PSL. Both our ak's have the tapco and are a dream to fire. Looks like form the post that a Tapco like the one in the AK will fit. Is this TRUE? I have access to some in the local gun shop.
    I like the AK trigger very much it is as smooth as my AR10.

Thanks all
    George P.

$550 is a damn good price on a nice rifle. There is nothing wrong with the scope it is just the rifle is capable of more range than the 4x implys.

Great at least we did not get ripped off. Notices on another thread about the trigger on a PSL. Both our ak's have the tapco and are a dream to fire. Looks like form the post that a Tapco like the one in the AK will fit. Is this TRUE? I have access to some in the local gun shop.
    I like the AK trigger very much it is as smooth as my AR10.

Thanks all
    George P.
    Somebody else will have to verify that question. I've built a lot of Ak weapons in 7.62x39 but never owned a PSL of my own and probably never will. As such I have no experience with the topic of will a Tapco fire control group fit in the PSL receiver. I would offer this opinion on how to check it out. Measure the center line distance on a standard AKM in your collection and then compare the hammer and trigger pin spacing on the PSL. If they are = then they probably will fit and function.

If it makes you feel any better the same thing happened to me. I though I was getting a Draganov made in romania. Took it home and field striped it and said wait this looks like an over sized AK, not and SVD. Yep dumb I shuold have known better. Thee good news is you payed way less than what I did. I think you got a good deal. They aren't bad rifles they just aren't SVD. I hate how a lot if not most dealers do that either though ignorance, or on pourpose. Either way I think it is inesqusable. PSL have been around long enough and gotten popular enough most gun dealers should know what they are by now.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Redstar sells replacement triggers... they are slightly modified AK units...

Will do on the Red Star group, $69.00. Will fire some down range to check the weapon first using some Silver Bear and reloads I did for the other 7.62x54R rifles. Will use the Chronograph to see what the rounds are putting up from this PSL.

Thanks You
    George P.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Georgep, now that I read you paid $550 for that PSL I have to tell you I HATE YOU!!!!!! That is one really great deal, and a dealer could lie all he wanted if he sold me something for such a bargain. Of course the old thing that a little knowledge before hand isn't a bad idea either.

Again, congrats on a great buy, and enjoy your rifle. While they might not be true SVDs they still are a lot of fun and very cool looking!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Georgep, now that I read you paid $550 for that PSL I have to tell you I HATE YOU!!!!!! That is one really great deal, and a dealer could lie all he wanted if he sold me something for such a bargain. Of course the old thing that a little knowledge before hand isn't a bad idea either.

Again, congrats on a great buy, and enjoy your rifle. While they might not be true SVDs they still are a lot of fun and very cool looking!
    LOL, I was Jessie James (my wife) who does the cut rate thing when we are buying. She pouts and shakes her head and complains when I look at something, 95% of the time the person selling gives in.
    She bought our house for $150,000.00 BELOW the asking price when teh market was up. I handle teh car buying with her wanting to spend the money so it works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Somebody else will have to verify that question. I've built a lot of Ak weapons in 7.62x39 but never owned a PSL of my own and probably never will. As such I have no experience with the topic of will a Tapco fire control group fit in the PSL receiver. I would offer this opinion on how to check it out. Measure the center line distance on a standard AKM in your collection and then compare the hammer and trigger pin spacing on the PSL. If they are = then they probably will fit and function.
    The answer is yes. A friend of mine has a regular Tapco G2 in his PSL. Took a while to install, but it works fine. Definitely an improvement over the factory unit, which ranges from acceptable to horrible. I have a RSA in mine and it's wonderful.

georgep, you'll end up really liking this rifle. While not a gnat-castrating precision rifle in the western style, plenty of folks have posted groups from 1-1.5MOA. The reticle in the 4x scope is effective and the BDC is astonishingly accurate. Great scopes for the money IMO. Overall a very fun, cheap-to-feed rifle. Try the Wolf/Tula/Uly 148 grain for a good non-corrosive load. Mine will usually do about 1.5 MOA with it if I do my part and space out the shots to keep the thin barrel from overheating. I'm also going to try the Privi Partizan 150-grain soft point load on deer later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HellTeeOne View Post
    The answer is yes. A friend of mine has a regular Tapco G2 in his PSL. Took a while to install, but it works fine. Definitely an improvement over the factory unit, which ranges from acceptable to horrible. I have a RSA in mine and it's wonderful.

georgep, you'll end up really liking this rifle. While not a gnat-castrating precision rifle in the western style, plenty of folks have posted groups from 1-1.5MOA. The reticle in the 4x scope is effective and the BDC is astonishingly accurate. Great scopes for the money IMO. Overall a very fun, cheap-to-feed rifle. Try the Wolf/Tula/Uly 148 grain for a good non-corrosive load. Mine will usually do about 1.5 MOA with it if I do my part and space out the shots to keep the thin barrel from overheating. I'm also going to try the Privi Partizan 150-grain soft point load on deer later this year.
    Thanls for the reply.
    Mine is running on Speer 2018 BTBMJ at 150 grains, Powder is Varget 47 grains, Norma Case Chrono on it is 2721 to 2728. Benchrest using a HISKOR rig is 1.25MOA with me it is 2.25moa ( eyes are not what they where 40 years ago.
    REal fun gun to shoot. When we take the whole family to our range (scared the hell out of the public range folks) WE Take teh PSL (2) Romey AK47, Saiga 20, and the Saiga 12. THey are fine till we put the drum on the 12 and Rack & Roll a little.

Good to see you still posting from time to time. It sounds like a really good shooting weapon. BTW you are using .310 to .311" diamter bullets right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast