Thread: Anyone Nikon guys around?

Anyone Nikon guys around?

My girlfriend's cousin is getting married this October, and we're getting her a new lens for her Nikon. She's a journalist and wants the Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED.

I've read mixed reviews on the lens and don't want to buy this, take it down to Brasil, and then find out that it doesn't suit her needs. She's just getting started with photography, and I'm not a Nikon guy so that's really making this fun.

Will this be a good "walk around" lens (similar to my own Tamron 75-300, just better quality) for someone who will be shooting in many different conditions?
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

My brother is....I'm sure he'll reply when he is online

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    My girlfriend's cousin is getting married this October, and we're getting her a new lens for her Nikon. She's a journalist and wants the Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED.

I've read mixed reviews on the lens and don't want to buy this, take it down to Brasil, and then find out that it doesn't suit her needs. She's just getting started with photography, and I'm not a Nikon guy so that's really making this fun.

Will this be a good "walk around" lens (similar to my own Tamron 75-300, just better quality) for someone who will be shooting in many different conditions?
    I have one of those lens and they are not bad for the money...but they are not nikons top of the line lens....ie $250 lens vs $700 lens.
    Last edited by Arnulf; 07-27-2010 at 11:36 AM.

A popular lens I have been using this summer is the Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3xr.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnulf View Post
    A popular lens I have been using this summer is the Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3xr.

I use a Tamron 28-75 as my "Walkabout" lens on my Canon. It's great.

Honestly, I'm trying to talk her into getting a wide angle lens. I think she'd find that more useful for journalism.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I use a Tamron 28-75 as my "Walkabout" lens on my Canon. It's great.

Honestly, I'm trying to talk her into getting a wide angle lens. I think she'd find that more useful for journalism.

You actually need about 3 different power lens to have a decent set up......18-55mm to 55-200mm is how nikon set it up for their low dollar lens.
    Last edited by Arnulf; 07-27-2010 at 04:31 PM.

You can also buy adapters to use old 35mm lenses on new DSLR cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    You can also buy adapters to use old 35mm lenses on new DSLR cameras.
    My Nikon D80 will accept the old nikon slr film camera lens as long as they are AF...that is what makes them so versatile...they can use the old high quality Nikon lens...not just the modern DX lens.