Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumbass rifle comparison thread (please forgive me)

Quote Originally Posted by AK again View Post
    I don't have any leverguns currently. There was a time when a '94 in 30-30 was my go-to, but I prefer the more modern stuff. A quick mag change can be handy... and I never mastered a rapid reload drill with the '94. That might indicate that my stumble fingers need a simpler reload scheme, ala the semi-auto.
    My Yugo's an underfolder, it works ... I've considered figuring out a way to hang a low-magnification optic on it. I don't get all weak-kneed for gear, but a low power optic or red dot makes some sense. Maybe I oughta hang onto the Yugo and figure out a way to bubblegum some optics to it.
    Shouldn't your manual of arms be the same as a shotgun with a lever action, shoot a round, load a round

I would agree, load it like you do a shotgun loading it as you go, never allowing it to run dry.

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    I think if all a man had was a good lever rifle, he would hardly be "undergunned". Not everyone is going to be going Rambo during The Big Flush, some of us will be avoiding people as much as possible and trying to survive.
    With all the war gear most of the Rambos will be dieting very quickly.

The avoiders should avoid the folks that already live here.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Shouldn't your manual of arms be the same as a shotgun with a lever action, shoot a round, load a round
    Never thought of it ... my shotgun uses detachable mags, too ...
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    With all the war gear most of the Rambos will be dieting very quickly.

The avoiders should avoid the folks that already live here.
    Yeah, there will be a "culling" right off. I have never seen it, but have had enough people in my life that have, to know those who think they will do well in combat, don't ever need to do it twice.

I guess at the end of the day, it all comes to what the user is the most comfortable with and the circumstances of both THE situation, and your personal inventory of weapons and ammo.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

I don't see myself doing great on day 1- hence the need for more than 10 manually fed rounds.

I'd also point out that 50 rounds of .44 mag probably weights roughly as much as 210 rounds of 5.56 and reloading 50 times is a lot worse than reloading 7.

But hey, shit happens- I'm sure some cowboy actioners might survive when some PMC types wouldn't.

swampdragon
    I agree with Mriddick on this one.

5.45 would be my last choice just due to more difficult availability.

When comparing the penetration issues as far as 7.62 vs 5.56...it's really a toss up.
    It just depends on what you need more.
    If neighbors are the biggest concern, then I'd say go 5.56
    If heavy brush and woods is your AO, then I'd say 7.62 is the better choice.

I also agree with Mriddick on the mag thing.
    Don't pick something that uses proprietary mags.
    It makes much more sense to have something that can make use of huge stockpiles of surplus mags already available at a cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by matshock View Post
    I don't see myself doing great on day 1- hence the need for more than 10 manually fed rounds..
    I don't see anyone doing great on day 1 as it will be chaos. If you go looking for a fight I am sure you will find someone more than happy to oblige you.
    The best bet is to lay low, avoid trouble and don't make yourself a target.

I don't see anyone doing great on day 1 as it will be chaos. If you go looking for a fight I am sure you will find someone more than happy to oblige you.
    The best bet is to lay low, avoid trouble and don't make yourself a target.
    Well, the problem of bunkering down in a house is that it's flammable.

I'm not planning on charging across town to the ghetto but I am planning on converting my neighborhood watch into a garrison...better to face the world with a nice cinderblock wall to hide behind rather than have it at your front door.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    For the sake of sounding like a Fudd, why not a lever action carbine in .357 Mag., .44 Mag. or .30-30? Low maintanence, ammo can be found almost anywhere, hard hitting, accurate, and quick to point and cycle. Plus very light weight. Get it in SS and you won't have to worry about rusting too much. Rossi makes a nice little SS carbine.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...sit=&pid=&inv=
    I have Henry lever 30-30 and I never feel unprotected when Im in the bush with that gun.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

My humble .02 would be to keep what you got (the M70 underfolder) and just start getting as many mags as you want (which are ready available at present) and get as much ammo as you can, when you can due to it being readily available here in the States too. If you're wanting to "update" it maybe consider Krebs' Customs' sight rail extension: http://www.krebscustom.com/ProductLi...edLocked.shtml. Yes, it is a good chunk of money, but it may provide the adaptability you're looking for....there is another company out there that makes something similar...ah, here we are: http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/. Or if your rifle has the side rail attachment get the best quality one (think Lysander talked about finding one in one of his threads).

Or...

Nipping at its heals though I would suggest an AR due to the fact it's "America's rifle" and therefore the mags and ammo our pretty bountiful with so wide of a variety of bullet types and weights out there to fill your needs. True, perhaps not as inherently dependable as an AK, but with so many parts available now that are either chrome/nitride/np3 plated/lined the reliability factor is up. As S-man mentioned, don't discount the piston kits out there. While not as "standard" as the DI system, many top companies, S&W included, are using Adams Arms pistons for theirs so you can readily get spare parts.

And of course the usual debate of weight of carrying ammo vs. penetration per caliber but I'll leave that alone and let you decide that one . Good luck!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I can't say enough good about the TWS Dogleg rail on my Vepr!

ETA: "Go-to" means different things to different folks ... I live in the PNW, where we have hundreds of miles of gravel roads, lots of big timber ... and some less-than savory characters growing stuff or practicing their amateur chemistry back in the woods.

When I go out into the boonies, I like to have a detachable,high-capacity, mag-fed rifle with me. Just because. I'd also like some better sights than those that sit on my current passenger-seat rifle. The Yugo sits around a lot, but it rides on trips with me more than my dog does, for sure. perhaps I should have been more clear.

In a situation involving general chaos and lawlessness, I plan to hop into the loudest polyester shirt or pantsuit I can find, strap an old boombox to my back so I can play my kids' rap music at top volume, paint my face to look like a clown, and then shoot up my neighborhood as I steal canned food and gasoline before getting even more high-speed, low-drag and chasing down the rest of the town. LOL.

Really, my daughter's Browning .243 (or my Vepr .308 for that matter) would work just fine when/if things went to poop on a grand scale, but I'd give up a little of that range and accuracy for something that could, if need be, rapidly fire a bunch before a quick mag change. Moreso for trips around the backwoodsier parts of my state as I hike, wander, etc.
    Last edited by AK again; 02-06-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK again View Post
    I can't say enough good about the TWS Dogleg rail on my Vepr!
    +1 on my SAR 3.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I like the Golani Galils. I have two now and maybe 30 mags (I started buying any deal I found on those before I got the rifles). Numrich still has mags at $20. I wish they would start some production on the Orlites again.

Shit, I checked gun broker and bought 4 used steel mags for $52 shipped!

They are making a scope mount that sells on gunbroker for $59 and there is a rail system for them now.

Pretty reasonable considering these were $1500 to $3000 rifles a few years ago... Mine are about as acurate as any low end AR...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I like the Golani Galils. I have two now and maybe 30 mags (I started buying any deal I found on those before I got the rifles). Numrich still has mags at $20. I wish they would start some production on the Orlites again.

Shit, I checked gun broker and bought 4 used steel mags for $52 shipped!

They are making a scope mount that sells on gunbroker for $59 and there is a rail system for them now.

Pretty reasonable considering these were $1500 to $3000 rifles a few years ago... Mine are about as acurate as any low end AR...
    Are these the CAI rifles you are talking about Laton?
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    Are these the CAI rifles you are talking about Laton?
    Yea, I have two and two friends with one each. None of us have had a problem with any of them, they just go bang. At $500 to $550 if you shop around, that ain't bad. I have a kit and more spare parts. Really I could build a third, IIRC I have the receiver put away also.

They are a little heavy being milled, but that wouldn't bother you. The weight gives them almost no recoil and fast follow up shots. The 35 and 50 round mags mean you can shoot forever before a mag change...

Century will fix any problem you have so how do you lose?

Edit: I also have an IMI .308 and yes it's fit & finish is much better. It's drawback is the 25 round mags are HIGH!

These are also 18" barrels so you get more velocity from the ammo than a 16".
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 02-06-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Keep the ak unless you come up with enough moneyfor a dawoo ar bolt ak carrier. best of both worrlds

If you have the time maybe.

As that is a whole bunch of moving me around and moving the gun around; I'd think long and hard before doing that in a gunfight.

Well, when the dust settled, I ended up parting ways with the Yugo and saying hello to an SLR-106UR. I hadn't planned on it, but you all probably know how THAT goes from time to time.
    Being in OR, I will pay the Man, take the barrel down, and have a VERY compact truck and backpack rifle.
    Long stroke piston, and ammo is ubiquitous.

That's a fine weapon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast