Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did I end up with this?..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    You are correct. I'm getting more stoked over my latest purchase the more I look at it.
    Just realized something... this is my first rifle size AR, always been carbines.
    With that light original pattern barrel I bet it weighs less than your beans.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote3 View Post
    Very nice find! According to Colt's serial number list, your rifle was manufactured in 1972.

Enjoy!

Just checked, same year as mine!
    I first laid hands and eyes in person on an SP-1 in 1972. I got to fire 10 rounds out of it and thought it was da-bomb. I was thinking that Vit's looked exactly like that one, your serial number look up just validated my impression. Took me until 1994 to actually get around to buying an AR15.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-07-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Had to sell mine but I really like that old school look.
    I'm guessing CJA is the importer of the scope which is probably Chinese. I have a knock off on my other AR but it works fine.
    It looks like it has the 100yd - 500 yd. click adjustment like the Colts. If so it may already be set at the 100 yd start so it may be shooting high at targets under that range. Aim lower and adjust yourself rather than starting to tweak the scope.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by coyote3 View Post
    Very nice find! According to Colt's serial number list, your rifle was manufactured in 1972.

Enjoy!

Just checked, same year as mine!
    Mine is 6 digit serial number, 5 digit were used in 70's.

Mine is 6 digit serial number, 5 digit were used in 70's.
    You guys are right. Probably made in the early '80s. I'll have to do some more research.

Nice SP1. I have an XM16e1 built on a Nodak repro semi-auto lower. SP1s are a hodgepodge of military models. The slabside lower is similar to the original 601, but with the large hole screw-type retainer. Same goes for the square forged slabside upper. all other parts would be proper for a late model 603/ 604 model.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Weren't their versions of this with the teardrop forward assist? I always liked the A1 look a lot.

Here are my Stoner Flintlocks.

The 653 is finished in A2 black and is built on a Martin Marietta upper from the mid 70s. Even with the surefire mounted, it is the lightest AR I have ever hefted. It is 6.2 pounds with the Surefire and a 20 round mag. It is under 6 pounds empty.

The XM16e1 (603) is waiting on a chrome Bolt carrier group, a proper ejection port door, and will be done.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 02-07-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Weren't their versions of this with the teardrop forward assist? I always liked the A1 look a lot.
    No. SP1s were a civilian specific varient, closest in form to the 601/ 602, and predated the M16a1. THE SP1 also used a larger diameter captured screw style front pivot pin.

Vit's rifle was built in 1983 or 84.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Vit's rifle was built in 1983 or 84.
    Doesn't sound like that long ago. Or does it?

Doesn't sound like that long ago. Or does it?
    85 was the last year for that type. I was a kid, spending my paper route money on SOF and SWAT mags. I remember the hype over the M16a2 and was totally bummed when colt stuck an a2 barrel assembly, pistol grip and stock on the SP1 receiver, and called it an "AR15a2 Sporter". Bummed, as if I could have afforded it anyway.

That is a couple cool retro "stoners".
    BTW retro is the new cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Here are my Stoner Flintlocks.

The 653 is finished in A2 black and is built on a Martin Marietta upper from the mid 70s. Even with the surefire mounted, it is the lightest AR I have ever hefted. It is 6.2 pounds with the Surefire and a 20 round mag. It is under 6 pounds empty.

The XM16e1 (603) is waiting on a chrome Bolt carrier group, a proper ejection port door, and will be done.

Got a Ciener convesion on the way, got a good deal on a slightly used one. Should work well with that 1/12 twist

My God vit, I hate AR's, but I lust over that thing.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by rahatlakhoom View Post
    My God vit, I hate AR's, but I lust over that thing.

Not as random or as clumsy as an AK, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Very nice buy.

Having been more or less raised and educated by 1980's action films, I can honestly say that is one of the tastiest Ar's I've seen in a bit!

I'd say something about serendipity, but that just sounds out of place in a sentence involving a vintage rifle with badass character.

[QUOTE=Bluedog;97092]Here are my Stoner Flintlocks.

Looks good with the surefire light and "rail cover"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12