Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golani problani

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Hey, if you get Mike and I to completely agree on something it must be good...

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I'd go with the Century, you can always send it back for repair or replacement if something is wrong with it.

I had a Galil built during the AWB on an IMI reciever, cost $1250 IIRC, $700 for a Galil is a great price.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Try to find one with the bayo lug. There are a lot of them that I see for sale that are neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Dogblaster View Post
    Try to find one with the bayo lug. There are a lot of them that I see for sale that are neutered.
    I don't believe you can say neutered since it's my understanding the kits never had them to begin with. There's no reason to cut the bayo lug off a rifle with a folding stock and flash hider.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 6gunsal View Post
    I have a Golani problani. And here it is:

...I want one.

So what are your thoughts?
    My thoughts are this. Any rifle design that uses a Rock In to seat it mag is old school inferior technology. A Sig rifle has been suggested. Heed the advise as it is a proven reliable piston driven rifle design. AR 15 mags are 9 bucks now sometimes as low as 8 for quality Aluminum 30 rounders. You think these are some how inferior then get Magpul mags. Gunsnet members have used them in combat are are 100% satisfied that the Magpul AR / M16 mags are military duty and combat reliable.

This version and a the full length version of it at my local fun shop is under $900. Piss on a Golani from Century.

Behind enemy lines, the Peoples Republic of Minnesota
    Screw Century Arms here is their "infamous warranty"

http://www.centuryarms.com/warranty/...antyPolicy.pdf

All firearms/receivers sold as “new”, or manufactured/assembled by Century have (1) year repair/
    replacement warranty from the day the firearm/receiver was shipped from Century’s warehouse to the
    customer, unless noted otherwise

Repairs or replacements are determined at Century’s discretion.
    The (1) year period does not start over if a firearm is repaired and reshipped.
    3) A return authorization number must be obtained prior to returning any merchandise to Century.

Buyer beware
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    My thoughts are this. Any rifle design that uses a Rock In to seat it mag is old school inferior technology. A Sig rifle has been suggested. Heed the advise as it is a proven reliable piston driven rifle design. AR 15 mags are 9 bucks now sometimes as low as 8 for quality Aluminum 30 rounders. You think these are some how inferior then get Magpul mags. Gunsnet members have used them in combat are are 100% satisfied that the Magpul AR / M16 mags are military duty and combat reliable.

http://sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/...fle-detail.jpg
    This version and a the full length version of it at my local fun shop is under $900. Piss on a Golani from Century.
    While I appreciate (and value) your input, I really am just interested in the Galil style rifles. Its a matter of nostalgia; not a search for the best rifle in the same caliber. Have you sold off all your inferior AK style rifles with their rock-in type magazines and AR-15s with their direct impingement?
    Last edited by 6gunsal; 02-09-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warhog01 View Post
    Screw Century Arms here is their "infamous warranty"

http://www.centuryarms.com/warranty/...antyPolicy.pdf

All firearms/receivers sold as “new”, or manufactured/assembled by Century have (1) year repair/
    replacement warranty from the day the firearm/receiver was shipped from Century’s warehouse to the
    customer, unless noted otherwise

Repairs or replacements are determined at Century’s discretion.
    The (1) year period does not start over if a firearm is repaired and reshipped.
    3) A return authorization number must be obtained prior to returning any merchandise to Century.

Buyer beware
    I bought a "new" century CETME at a gun show like 7 years ago. I found out it was a single shot and the gunsmith I took it to said the receiver was out of spec and some other stuff. I called up Century and when then directed my call to customer service, some guy in a nuclear power plant picked up the phone. After chatting about guns and nuclear power, I called Century back they directed my call to the actual customer service, and after I gave them the serial number they told me that they would charge me for any work they did, because they considered the gun dealer to be the owner and it was sold long enough ago for the warranty to expire. I think it was three months then. Obviously I never sent it in for repair.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 02-08-2011 at 09:39 PM.

WOW, I had no idea that Century had such a p;iss poor warrenty... looks like I wont be buying a Golani... Hell had I known their warrenty was that bad... I would not have bought any of my rifles from them!
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

While I appreciate (and value) your input, I really am just interested in the Galil style rifles. Its a matter of nostalgia; not a search for the best rifle in the same caliber. Have you sold off all your inferior AK style rifles with their rock-in type magazines and AR-15s with their direct impingement?
    Pretty much have. I keep the SAR-3 as it shares the common chambering with my AR rifles. It is the only AK type I have left in my collection. Liquidated 6, 7.62X39 AK type rifles 2 years ago and haven't missed a one of them.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-09-2011 at 12:01 AM.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Pretty much have. I keep the SAR-3 as it shares the common chambering with my AR rifles.
    +1 The SAR-3 stays.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

UNDER $900??? This may be the rifle I've been looking for. Any experience with it, Schuetz?

ETA: My SAR 3 was the first AK I ever hated. Maybe the only one ...
    Last edited by AK again; 02-09-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Quote Originally Posted by AK again View Post
    UNDER $900??? This may be the rifle I've been looking for. Any experience with it, Schuetz?

Those SR-556's have been getting solid reviews from everyplace I have seen. The one I shot (One time at the range, 2 mags) was accurate, shouldered well and well made.I think you would do just as well (if not better) with an AR from any reputable manufacturer in the same price range...

I went with a Mini-14/20 CF "580" series for my Piston/Oprod 5.56mm rifle. But the SR-556 was on the menu before I shouldered the Mini. And of course I LOVE my Homebrew 20" A3 AR and have yet to have any trouble with it. I payed WAY under 9 bills for both of them... at least before Optics.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by AK again View Post

On the Sig rifle, have I shot one, do I own one. Shot the range rental gun, loved it. Don't own one YET, but if these prices hold I will eventually get one. On the price, it stopped me in my tracks to say the least. That model pictured was $897 and the full size with identical STG90 type furniture was 9 bills.

The SAR-3's were spotty in quality. The vast majority of them were fine and the most accurate AK variants that I've ever shot. The one I have was a troubled one and the average guy would of sent it back to Century for repair. It had a welded in crooked gas piston. I changed it out myself with a Tapco and its been flawless since then. Mine takes Bulgarian waffle mags and Weigers. I got my Bulgarian waffle mags at 10 bucks each and the weigers when they were about 12 each. I'm set.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-09-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Pretty much have. I keep the SAR-3 as it shares the common chambering with my AR rifles. It is the only AK type I have left in my collection. Liquidated 6, 7.62X39 AK type rifles 2 years ago and haven't missed a one of them.
    Oh right. Well that's not very much fun.

Can Uber, mriddick, ELC or anyone else with the Golani give me a estimated round count?

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I don't believe you can say neutered since it's my understanding the kits never had them to begin with. There's no reason to cut the bayo lug off a rifle with a folding stock and flash hider.
    I'm just saying that there are a lot being sold that don't have the bayo lug...

Can Uber, mriddick, ELC or anyone else with the Golani give me a estimated round count?
    Mine only has about 500-700 rounds through it at this point but it has ran flawlessly...

I'd say about 500-600 through mine as well without a problem, no wear I can tell on the internals.

Im somewhere between 3-4 thousand or so...
    When I bought mine, I went out with a member here, and we did a case of wolf in one sitting between three of us...

No malfunctions.... But I did have one bad mag out of the mix....I stocked up like most of my rifles though, and get at least 8-10 mags...

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I had a Galil built during the AWB on an IMI reciever, cost $1250 IIRC, $700 for a Galil is a great price.
    Do you have any pics? What sort of condition was your kit in before the build?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast