Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Dragunov Type Rifle"

"Dragunov Type Rifle"

Afternoon folks!

I'm considering an FPK Dragunov Type Sniper rifle in 7.62 by 54 from Atlantic Arms. I'm new to this gun, and I realize it's not a true Dragunov, rather a Romanian varient, but I'd like opinions on the quality of this unit if anyone has heard anything about them, and what grain round from all those available should I use? It's intended as a long range weapon.

Thanks for the help!

Gary Thomas (You'll pry my gun from my cold dead hands Uncle Sam!)

Well they are technicly PSL's not FPK. They aren't Draganov's though they are designed with a similer role in mind. The PSL is basicly a streched out RPK rechambered in 7.62x54R. It has a long stroke gas psiton while the draganov has a short stroke gas pciston. They aren't bad rifles, I like mine. They tend to like light ball better than the heavier bullets.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I like them, the springs under the steel buttplate really tame the recoil.

I love the PSO clone's reticle, it does not obstruct the target like fat cross hairs can. The horizontal lead marks help when shooting a running coyote and the BDC drum is very nice.

The short stock is great for thick clothing and the large AK safety is good for manipulating while wearing gloves.

The only thing not to love is the bleached baby shit yellow stocks they come with. I am trying to dye mine a Russianlike red and the sheer amount of glue in the stock is kicking my ass. The handguard and forestock took an acceptable amount of red but the stock is 90% glue and is not cooperating so far.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 02-09-2011 at 08:43 PM.

I have a PSL and sort of agree the the Blond is not as nice as the read head.
    On ammo I am working on the answer that was given when I bought mine around 150 gr.
    Most of the Black Bear and Silver Bear I have is 173 or 203 for the rifles. So i am going ro reload my own with Core Bond 150 and see how it works.
    I have heard horror stories about the guns getting destroyed by to heavy a round BUT that is just what they are and need to be researched OR have a first person account not a friend of a friend.
    Try some different ammo to see what works for you a 3 or 4 round string should give the answer.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by georgep View Post
    I have a PSL and sort of agree the the Blond is not as nice as the read head.
    On ammo I am working on the answer that was given when I bought mine around 150 gr.
    Most of the Black Bear and Silver Bear I have is 173 or 203 for the rifles. So i am going ro reload my own with Core Bond 150 and see how it works.
    I have heard horror stories about the guns getting destroyed by to heavy a round BUT that is just what they are and need to be researched OR have a first person account not a friend of a friend.
    Try some different ammo to see what works for you a 3 or 4 round string should give the answer.
    Remember the bullet diameter for 7.62x54R is .310 to .311". Normal .30 cal. bullets are .308. They don't work all that great in the Russian chambered rifles as a result of the smaller .308 diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Remember the bullet diameter for 7.62x54R is .310 to .311". Normal .30 cal. bullets are .308. They don't work all that great in the Russian chambered rifles as a result of the smaller .308 diameter.
    10-4 on that all I buy is .310 or .311. Some of the .308 checks in at UNDER .308. The 303 British lead for my Enfield works well and is .310 low to .3119 high. Also the .308 round is why people think these shoot like crap sometimes to much play gives the round the wobbel instead of a nice tight spin.

Mags

Thanks for the responses folks! Very helpful. One more stupid question. Does anyone know what other types of mags fit this PSL based gun? I looked at "Dragunov" mags, but they want my 1st born for them! Any other suggested mags or sources for them which will work?

Thanks!

Gary Thomas

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

They got to be PSL mags.

I got a bunch of rusty ones from apex and fixed them up.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Easy way to tell the PSL mag from the SVD mag is the PSL has an "X" stamped rib in the center.

J&G had four mags and a pouch for $100 last year.

Soviet Memorabilia sometimes have 5 pocket 10 mag vests for about $100 when they have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    J&G had four mags and a pouch for $100 last year.

Soviet Memorabilia sometimes have 5 pocket 10 mag vests for about $100 when they have them.
    Still got them, bought 4 for mine, they where in good shape and the pouch is sort of neat to have.

The PSL mags have started to dry up most places are sold out .
    Atlantic Firearms.com
    sales@atlanticfirearms.com
    410 352 5183

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help folks! Ordered the mags from J&G. Got the gun and put a few rounds thru it. All works real smooth & it's a great looking gun with good build quality. The wood furniture wasn't even bad, not the baby-sh** yellow I've heard complaints about, but a darker nice looking grain. Outfitted with a POSP 4-10 x 42 Russian scope, and I love the total package.

Gary Thomas

I must be one of the few that likes the lighter colour wood.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I must be one of the few that likes the lighter colour wood.
    I like mine too.

видеодон

Quote Originally Posted by videodon View Post
    I like mine too.

That's much nicer than the color mine came in. My stock was almost white.

The stock on my PSL is even lighter.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post

The stock on my PSL is even lighter.
    The buttstock on yours looks great. Mine is still a work in non-progress

Just got done with mine today! It looks MUCH better than I expected. The glue on the laminated stock caused a very interesting color effect. I will post pics when possible.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 04-16-2011 at 02:27 AM.

To address your ammo question, there is still some 7N1 floating around, and Czech silvertip works well when you can find it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast