Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER M-1 GARAND/M-1 CARBINE HELP

INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER M-1 GARAND/M-1 CARBINE HELP

Hoping that someone can help. A friend of mine has 3 rifles that he is selling since his father passed and I am interested in purchasing these but i'm not really sure on price etc.
    1) International Harvester M-1 garand. The serial number I believe is# 50892xx. Cant really see the first number in the photo he sent me. The rifle has a little surface rust but other than that its clean..bore etc. Does anyone have any info on this rifle. He wants $900 for this rifle,

2) Winchester M-1 carbine. He states that it has an M-2 bolt in it. The rifle ser#12785xx. The rifle is clean. He wants $500 for this one

3) Inland Arms M-1 carbine Ser# 20262xx. This rifle is also clean. I did not notice any imports marks etc on these rifles. He want $500 for this one also.

Does anyone have any info on the value of these rifles. Checking on Gunbroker These guns have large price range differences. How do I know what its worth. ANY HELP would be great

International Harvester M-1 garand--- grab that
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Is it worth 900. Dont know much about it. HELP. I pretty much collect old 1911s so I dont have much of a clue

Anything about the carbines OTTO?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes on the open market the International is worth 9 bills. It represents lowest amount of M1 Garand rifles built by the 4 that made them.

Springfield, Winchester both WWII makers. Sprinfield arsenal is the majority manufacturer for all M1 Garand rifles. H&R and International are Korean war era suppliers and International made the fewest as I said already. Springfield also made and refurbished M1's during the Korean war.

The Win carbine value is low by about 2 to 3 bills IMO. The Inland M1 is about right, maybe 1 bill low if we consider typical prices I see on such carbines. Inland is the winner for having made the most carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by wags2161 View Post
    Is it worth 900. Dont know much about it. HELP. I pretty much collect old 1911s so I dont have much of a clue
    Haven't seen them that low in several years. Last I saw one was the receiver by itself.
    Can't help you on the carbines but they are more common so if you have to choose I'd go with the IH. I'll see if I can find some info for ya

Here's a little bit
    http://www.scott-duff.com/WhoHowManyWhen.htm
    International Harvester Co.

In addition to manufacturing, Springfield Armory also assisted private industry to mobilize for M1 production. Two private firms received contracts to produce M1 rifles during this period. They were the International Harvester Company of Evansville, Indiana and Harrington & Richardson Arms Company of Worcester, Massachusetts.

International Harvester received its first M1 contract on 15 June 1951. It is believed they began delivery of rifles in early 1953 and ceased in early 1956. Ordnance Department records indicate International Harvester delivered 337,623 M1 rifles.

International Harvester encountered many difficulties in manufacturing M1s, several times relying upon Springfield Armory and Harrington & Richardson to provide them with receivers. This is not to infer that there is anything wrong with rifles produced by this manufacturer. All M1 rifles produced by all manufacturers were required to pass U. S. Army Ordnance inspection prior to acceptance and delivery. Problem rifles were either corrected or scrapped.

International Harvester did not make its own barrels. Barrels to support production of their rifles were manufactured by the Line Material Company of Birmingham, Alabama. These barrels were marked LMR on the side and are among the most accurate shooting service grade barrels produced.

In addition to their name on the receiver heel, M1s manufactured by International Harvester may be identified by assigned serial numbers. International Harvester serial number ranges are from 4400000 through 4660000 and 5000501 through 5278245.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/i-have.....-218424.html

there's more out there.
    Price wise it's hard to say these days they were creeping up to 1800 a couple years ago but not sure that would hold today
    Last edited by Full Otto; 02-09-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to purchase all three. i was more concerned that I was going to pay too much for these. Seems that the Winchester M1 carbine fetches more money than the Inland does.Why? In everyones opinion what should I pay for these. Does what he is asking seem reasonable or on the high end? On the Winchester carbine he says that it has an M-2 bolt. Does this make it worth more or less? Thanks guys for the info I am going to check the website links.Thanks again for the Help

Prices look very good. I think the M-2 rifles are full auto configuration as a whole rifle but you just have a bolt in a semi no biggie

Thanks for the help Full Otto.

Quote Originally Posted by wags2161 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to purchase all three. i was more concerned that I was going to pay too much for these. Seems that the Winchester M1 carbine fetches more money than the Inland does.Why? In everyones opinion what should I pay for these. Does what he is asking seem reasonable or on the high end? On the Winchester carbine he says that it has an M-2 bolt. Does this make it worth more or less? Thanks guys for the info I am going to check the website links.Thanks again for the Help
    Did you read my post at all? Yes they're worth every penny he's asking and hundreds more. Is that plain enough for you? On why is a Winchester worth more it's real simple. Winchester didn't make as many as Inland Guide did and Winchester is and was a firearms maker of historical note. Inland was the frame maker for General Motors Corp.

Oher makers of carbines that are highly valued are; Rock-O-La the Juke box makers and IBM plus a couple more that escape my recall at the moment. I have a Postal Meter with a Union Switch and Signal subcontract receiver on it. Also a low numbers maker but not as highly prized as the Rocks and the IBM carbines.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.

There are guys here that know way more than I do but here's a little more for you on the carbines

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/manufacturers.html

http://www.surplusrifle.com/m1carbine/index.asp
    Between the years 1941 and 1945 there were over 6 Million M1 Carbinses produced by 10 different government contractors (Winchester, Standard Products, Underwood-Elliot-Fisher, Quality Hardware Machine, National Postal Meter, Rock-Ola, IBM, Irwin-Pedersen, Inland of GM, and Saginaw Steering Gear of GM).
    Developed as a replacement for the M1911 & 1911 A1 Service Pistol. The U.S. Military had a need to arm second line and non-combat (support) troops with a shoulder based weapon.
    The M1 Carbine saw action in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

I want an IH garand, just because I like there old tractors. Wish I could find one. I haven't bought a gun in quite a while

Yes I understood what you said. Was just trying to find out as much as I could before hand. I have never dealt with these rifles so I guess i'm just ignorant. Thanks for the links OTTO and Schuetzenman. The help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    I want an IH garand, just because I like there old tractors. Wish I could find one. I haven't bought a gun in quite a while
    My neighbor would be all over that one, same reason

If nothing else, grab the carbines. Depending on the condition, you could sell the Winchester for around $700-850 and have the Inland for half price or better. The Garand is at the low - medium price so you couldn't really get hurt unless it looks like someone has been batting rocks with it.

Thanks jojo. Hopefully get them in the next few days. I will post a few pics when I do. Thanks ALL

I'd love to have an International Harvester. I've got 3 Springfields, a Winchester, and an H&R. Still need the tractor gun to complete the set. Unfortunately, they are somewhat hard to find. Not as many made as Springfield or Winchester. They actually made slightly more than H&R, but H&R's are more common these days since a lot of the recent CMP rifles were made by them. Also a lot of the International Harvesters were shipped to Iran before the revolution in 1979. I don't see much chance of us getting those back again.

IH Garand

I have a IH M1-Garand that I got thru the CMP in the mid-80's. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never put a round thru it. I originally went thru the qualifying course on the M1 with my father in law who passed shortly afterwards. We never got to do the shooting together that we planned.

I'm giving serious thought to selling it if I can get a fair price. I would like to see it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it and put it to good use. I would appreciate any recommendations you might have as to the best way to go about it so I don't get taken advantage of.

It is typical of many CMP rifles in that the parts are not all IH, nor is the stock original. I'm not an expert but my general opinion is that it is in nice shape and certainly a lot better than the M1's I fired to qualify for the CMP purchase program.

Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by oldav8tor View Post
    I have a IH M1-Garand that I got thru the CMP in the mid-80's. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never put a round thru it. I originally went thru the qualifying course on the M1 with my father in law who passed shortly afterwards. We never got to do the shooting together that we planned.

I'm giving serious thought to selling it if I can get a fair price. I would like to see it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it and put it to good use. I would appreciate any recommendations you might have as to the best way to go about it so I don't get taken advantage of.

It is typical of many CMP rifles in that the parts are not all IH, nor is the stock original. I'm not an expert but my general opinion is that it is in nice shape and certainly a lot better than the M1's I fired to qualify for the CMP purchase program.

Comments?
    Photos are worth 1000 words. That said an International Harvester mixmaster should be worth 7 to 8 bills easily. Of course the lower you price it, the faster it will sell. The economy isn't very robust these days. I'd love to have an IH as I have a Winchester, an H&R and a Springfield if I ever build it. That said, I have no money to invest in such a weapon. In 2005 I lost the best job I ever had, the replacement paid 5K less / year. That job died in 2009 due to the stock market crash and the replacement job for that one pays 11K less than the job I had in 2005. Finances are tight for too many American workers.

International Harvester Garand

I agree about the pix telling the story. Attached are a few of mine. I'm thinking of listing it on Gunbroker.com. Do any of you have any experience with them?

oldav8tor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast