Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You a Gun Guy?

im deffinately the gun guy around here,get lots of inquiries at work and from family friends atc.very few take my advice though.theres nothing like telling your buddy that gun aint worth what they want for it ,only to find he bought 2 guns in a "2 gun deal" from the guy

i enjoy the ?s as guns are the only thing i know a fair amount about,not really a motorhead,sports fan,or gamer type person ...if a question stumps me (frequently) i just ask here and ill get an answer fairly soon..UNLESS IM ASKING IN THE SAIGAS FORUM

The other day at work my boss referred to me as a "gun expert".

I thought I was too. Until I discovered firearms forums on the internet.

The knowledge that some of you guys have astounds me!

every body came to me at work. you could call me a gun nut. butreally im just normal eeverybody else just has gunafobia.

What are guns?

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    What are guns?
    Guns are those things you here about on TV. They're also the things most likely to be lost in a tragic canoing accident...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

My brother in law,all my GF brothers,brothers in law,my dad,my cousins all come to me with their firearm questions.

The conversations start by one of them saying,"Hey you are a gun guy right?",so I guess I am that guy.I do not advertise I'm the "gun guy" at school,work,or any public place in mixed company.

My uncle is far more knowledgeable about firearms,reloading than I ever will be,but he comes to me about AK's,AR's,and modern firearms.Much of what I know I learned here or found out for myself.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I get questions from all sorts of folks about guns. I even have points of contact in our state government agencies (who I deal with on a very regular basis) ask me for advice on what to buy, lol. I love it when I get someone who has heard about one brand or another's "superiority." They all get the same advice from me, especially if they have little or no experience and want a handgun: "Go see what fits your hands best, and if possible shoot one before you buy it!" I've been helping one of my good friends get into pistol shooting lately, and he happened to end up with a BUL M-5 that fits him like a glove. It shows too, his accuracy with it is infinitly better than with the P95 he used to have. Now if we could only get his reliability issues worked out.

Point is, I think it's awesome that people see me as a "gun-guy" even if I don't really know a huge amount. I simply point them in the right direction if it's something I'm not sure on. In the last 2 years, I have influenced about 5 people to really get into shooting and collecting. Very rewarding to see people go from the type that doesn't want a gun in their house, to someone who is always wanting to take me out to the range!

I also think whether someone calls you a "gun guy" or a "gun nut" is relative to how scared they are by the fact that you are one. hehe

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I am indeed, but beyond shooting I'm into how they work and fixing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Dogblaster View Post
    Guns are those things you here about on TV. They're also the things most likely to be lost in a tragic canoing accident...
    I thought I heard of them some place..

Yup, I've capsized a canoe more times than you might easily believe.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I am indeed, but beyond shooting I'm into how they work and fixing them.
    My fixing is limited to replacing what I don't like; changing out the FCG etc.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post

My fixing is limited to replacing what I don't like; changing out the FCG etc.

my fixing is limited to whatever metal scraps and spare parts I have lying around

swampdragon
    I tell people I hunt and target practice.
    Seems less intimidating.

Red face

i have some of my great-grandfathers stuff , anyone else here? hope so. my angle is if it was so important to him, and dad and GF to have guns, well its gotta be for me and mine. hunting is really a great sport too, ive yet to meet anyone who didnt like to eat either.

You know it's bad when the gun store asks YOU questions, no? I've been stopped in the store by the owner and asked to take a phone call from customers who had a question about AK-platform firearms they'd sold. (Got a nice sizable discount on my next purchase after I did that, too.) I'm kind of like the unofficial salesman. If I'm in the store and someone's drooling over the AK rack and has questions, the owner and the sales dudes come get me and have me try to make the sale for them, since they know dick about the AK other than the caliber. I've done it a few times. Again, with the resultant discount on my next purchase.

And I get the inquiries at work, from friends and family, and have become the official rally point for both sides of my family in the event of TEOTWAWKI or the Zombie Apocolypse since I could outfit a small Central American country with both arms and ammo.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Piece Person?

Firearm Fellow?

Guy guy?

Ayuh

Gun Guy is preferable to Gun Nut. Calling a firearms Enthusiast a 'nut' implies that they are mentally unstable, which is borderline insulting.

BTW: I hear TONS of guys (mostly cops) who are gun enthusiasts get really PISSED when fellow cops call them 'Gun Nuts'. I even heard about a senior supervisor who yelled at some rookies "Don't EVER call me a Gun Nut". He had a point. If people regularly call you a Gun Nut and someday you have to do a justified shooting, the lawyers will have a FIELD day smearing your judgment. He always said "Call me a Firearms Enthusiast".

On an other note: do you guys ever watch that show 'How I met your Mother" ? The hot girl Robin (Cobie Smulders) who shoots at the range all the time (She has a nickel Desert Eagle) got really mad on one episode when some other person called her a gun nut. She railed "Call me a Firearms Enthusiast!" The script writers must have heard enough guys complain about being called 'nuts'. hahahaha

Anyway here is the actress who plays the 'Firearms Enthusiast' on the show

I'm definitely a firearms enthusiast and believe it is absolutely American (and necessary) to exercise 2A. That being said, it would not seem like I 'fit the bill' to almost all acquaintances I have (better friends are aware of my interests in firearms).

I prefer it this way because, unfortunately, the climate I live/work in is not firearms friendly. I like to chat/converse with open minded individuals that are willing to see others' perspectives. The sad truth is that a lot of my peers don't 'get it' and will never 'get it' unless they see the day (when it's too late) for themselves.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Does being a nut with a gun count or is that another category?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Gotten the "didn't know you were a gun guy" many times. Then, if I happen to mention I've helped out my dealer at gunshows for over ten years, I become an "expert" and get lots of questions. Fortunately, I know where to go online to get answers.

romak10/63UF
    I like to call myself a firearms Studmuffin ! lol

I am more known as the quiet guy that sits in the corner mumbling to himself while drooling. Wearing a tin hat of course.

Just kidding. Folks know that I like guns. And that I have a few. Usually, I get asked hey is this a deal, or what should I ask for it, what should be my first gun etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast