Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report: $189 Stevens 200

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up Range Report: $189 Stevens 200

OK, got out to the range today to test some factory loads in my new Stevens 200 - 270 Win:

Here are the results: (all at 100 yards from the bench - about 65f, wind 15-20 MPH directly into the bench)

130 Grain Remington Core-Lokts:

150 Grain Remington Core-Lokts: (didn't like these!)

140 Grain Federal Premium Vital-Shock trophy bonded bear claw:

and again, to zero:

That last group was shot very quickly - without the buttstock rested - I wanted to be sure that I had it zero'd for the way I generally hunt - the front end rested and the buttstock on my shoulder.

I am really really very pleased that this rifle likes the Federal premiums stuff - I bought 10 boxes of it a few years ago from midway IIRC on sale - $12/box! This is $40+/box ammo...

So, looks like this one shoots as well as its brother (the other, older one that I bought a couple years ago) - and this is with factory ammo. I am sure that I can shave a bit off of those groups with handloads.

I'd have to say again, that I recommend these rifles and if you have an Academy Sports near you, it's definately worth checking out.

I listed this in the other thread, but these are basically Savage 110's - the triggers are easily adjusted with one wratcheting screw, they are pilar bedded and free floated. They weigh only 6.5 lb.s and accept standard Savage scope mounts. Further, they come with the sling studs in place and now have a very soft recoil pad.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Paying more for the scope then the rifle works doesn't it Those are great results.

Heck yah!

And I made a mistake in the title - the rifle was only $179!!! The scope was $189, so yes, I paid $10 more for the scope - and it's not exactly what you'd call high end... but they are great scopes IMHO.

I need a signed testimony from a certified range master plus pictures of you holding up your IDs next to the target or it never happened.

There's just no way your low budget cobble-together could match a custom Rem 700 bull barrel seated in an AI stock using Badger Ordnance Rings and a Night Force optic that I used after I watched a Magpul video while taking a dump after eating tactical bacon.

Oh wait, this is not ARFCOM- carry on.
    Last edited by matshock; 02-13-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matshock View Post
    I need a signed testimony from a certified range master plus pictures of you holding up your IDs next to the target or it never happened.

There's just no way your low budget cobble-together could match a custom Rem 700 bull barrel seated in an AI stock using Badger Ordnance Rings and a Night Force optic that I used after I watched a Magpul video while taking a dump after eating tactical bacon.

Oh wait, this is not ARFCOM- carry on.
    LOL

Nothing beats MOA accuracy from factory ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    LOL

Nothing beats MOA accuracy from factory ammunition.
    It's becoming a lot more common. I think most premium factory ammo and a recently made bolt rifle will outshoot 90% of their owners.

I shot a cloverleaf at 200 yards with Black Hills Red Box 68 gr HPBT .223 through an A2 with a Wilson stainless barrel and a TA01 off the bench with a bipod last Fall. I have yet to repeat it but that's likely me more than anything else.

I'm really jonesing for a "cheap" .243 win rifle now...I better shoot some more this week to get over it.

Yeah they have really improved both the rifles and the ammunition.

That's funny you mentioned the 243, that's on my to buy list. At one time I would of never consider the 243 but recently the idea of one really appeals to me.

I have a Rem 700 BDL in .243 Win - my oldest son shot his first deer with it.

Whacha going to do with the .243? I mean, what's the application?

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I have a Rem 700 BDL in .243 Win - my oldest son shot his first deer with it.

Whacha going to do with the .243? I mean, what's the application?
    Deer hunting some, target shooting mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Deer hunting some, target shooting mostly.
    Yep, not planning on putting a target scope on it- just another GP rifle.

Are they quieter than a .308?

what kinda scope is sit

OIC - on the .243 Win - not quiet - probably about like a 308 I guess. Kicks less though.

blobman, if you mean my scope, it's a Nikon Prostaff 4x12 with BDC (bullet drop compensator) reticule. It was $189 at Cabelas. The mount/med rings are Leupold.

Think it could make a fun round for long range accuracy while at the same time reducing felt recoil over the 308 rifles I now shoot. I've also noticed that many places will put on sale 30-06, 270 and 243 caliber budget models and of those 3 I'd think the 243 seems to offer the most of what I'd want.

Wow, what a great deal you got on that '06!

Rage

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    Wow, what a great deal you got on that '06!

Rage
    That's no stinking '06, that my friend is a 270 boomstick (sorry reminded me of an old far side cartoon)

Hmm, long range, less recoil... I'd go .260 Rem for that. Not on sale often but if you have a Savage 110 or 10 already, you can just get a new barrel for it... The .260 kicks the .243's butt for long range use.

Or, if you've got an AR - you might consider the 6.5 Grendel in a new upper - really low recoil and beats the 308 at the long range game. Pretty much a handloading proposition though for long range application.

The .243 Win is a great round but the caliber isn't nearly as efficient as the .264".
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 02-14-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Nice deer slayer you got there O.S.O.K. What a great deal you found. By the way, do you have sales tax down there in Texas? Up north we have a 8% tax on purchases. Anyway, what are the pros of the .243?

i remember that cartioon too riddick,the 2 bears

I could live with groups like those last two, especially out of a <200 gun. Not really a target gun, but 'nuff for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by matshock View Post
    It's becoming a lot more common. I think most premium factory ammo and a recently made bolt rifle will outshoot 90% of their owners.
    Better machinery which holds tighter tolerances with better quality control which can't be done with the shooters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast