Thread: Current Smith & Wesson Opinions

Current Smith & Wesson Opinions

I have been looking at the S&W Model 27 in .357 mag and was wondering if any of you have feedback on current production. They have a key lock on them which really turns me off, but I could always take the guts out of it. Is their current stuff any good?

Finding a good used one is going to be tough, and the cost of a transfer around here will make it so I might as well buy a new one if they are any good.

I bought a 642 last Dec which in comparing to my older 642 has a rougher finish in some places (milling around the front sight, etc...) but the internals look well done so hopefully if they let anything slip it's in the outside finish rather then the internals. Mine was a $300 rebate special so I don't know if the lack of finish was due to that. The lock doesn't really bother me, I only use it when the grand kids come over and find it handy for that.
    Last edited by mriddick; 02-15-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Recently bought a 638 to keep in my boot....no complaints so far. I've ignored the lock (but I keep the key on my ring..just in case).

swampdragon
    The best S&W .357 option going these days is the Ruger GP-100.

I don't doubt that there are other cheaper and better alternatives out there but damn, I like the classic N frame look.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I don't doubt that there are other cheaper and better alternatives out there but damn, I like the classic N frame look.
    My favorite N frame was the model 28 Highway Patrolman.
    That gun just had the perfect look.

Too bad the N frame 357's weigh so much, I'll always take my model 65