Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Solar Storm

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    I walked into THAT!!! How the hell do you know THAT stuff!
    4 sisters, a step sister, a wife, a daughter, 2 sisters in laws, and I googled womens fashions. Being the oldest of a large clan you become a repository of absolutely useless information even if you aren't paying much attention.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Here's another article talking about the coming "space weather" we could be getting. However, they say the strongest events are likely to happen around 2013.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41685166..._science-space

March 13, 1989 - The Quebec Blackout Storm - Most newspapers that reported this event considered the spectacular aurora to be the most newsworthy aspect of the storm. Seen as far south as Florida and Cuba, the vast majority of people in the Northern Hemisphere had never seen such a spectacle in recent memory. Electrical ground currents created by the magnetic storm found their way into the power grid of the Hydro-Quebec Power Authority and the entire Quebec power grid collapsed. Six million people were affected as they woke to find no electricity to see them through a cold Quebec wintry night. This storm could easily have been a $6 billion catastrophe affecting most US East Coast cities.
    http://www.solarstorms.org/SS1989.html
    I was chatting with a ham in Europe the signal meter on my rig pinned at 40db over 9 and all that came out of the speaker was "static."

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

HDR - could you please post a thread on the how-to's of becoming a ham? Radio operator that is...

I would seriously like to get into that and set-up my other family members with them - would be a great thing to have in the abscense of cells, land lines and internet.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

If I could place bets, I'd go with the ice. -Me

February 18, 2011

NASA and the ESA agree, and so does the Russian space agency, Roscosmos—the sun is headed for a Grand Solar Minimum and a Grand Cooling will commence.

The aptly named Grand Cooling is exactly what it implies: the sun is going to cool. That cooling will also cool off the Earth. It will last from 30 to 50 years.

http://www.helium.com/items/2094726-...es-new-ice-age
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

So, first a massive solar storm that burns out all of our electrical capabilities followed by a little ice age.

Great.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    HDR - could you please post a thread on the how-to's of becoming a ham? Radio operator that is...

I would seriously like to get into that and set-up my other family members with them - would be a great thing to have in the abscense of cells, land lines and internet.
    I'd be glad to help; the best way is find your local radio club. Often they will have the study materials used and free. They may even know of when and where a novice course is being taught.

FYI: http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Ham_Radio/Exams/
    How long does it take?
    • Depending on your background and memory, most students pass easily after:
      • Technician (entry-level) class license exam: 10 hours
      • General class license exam: 20 hours
      • Extra class license exam: 30 hours

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=7072
    Long term get a General class ticket which is opens up easy world wide communications. Unless there is a solar storm. As it is very valuable skill don't skip learning Morse.

Quote Originally Posted by rahatlakhoom View Post
    If I could place bets, I'd go with the ice. -Me

February 18, 2011

NASA and the ESA agree, and so does the Russian space agency, Roscosmos—the sun is headed for a Grand Solar Minimum and a Grand Cooling will commence.

The aptly named Grand Cooling is exactly what it implies: the sun is going to cool. That cooling will also cool off the Earth. It will last from 30 to 50 years.

http://www.helium.com/items/2094726-...es-new-ice-age
    Right after climate gate popped up a climatologist said the planet is entering a mini ice age. There have been a lot of articles about the mini ice age. Some of them have great graphics.

The mini ice age starts here

By David Rose
    Last updated at 11:17 AM on 10th January 2010

The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.

Their predictions – based on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans – challenge some of the global warming orthodoxy’s most deeply cherished beliefs, such as the claim that the North Pole will be free of ice in
    summer by 2013.

According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute this

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1EXE4T5HZ
    There are lots of others; a pity Algore's blind eyes can't see them.

Thanks for the link to the exams. I'll see if there is a local ham radio club.... might be.

And al gore is in it for the money and has no interest in the cooling thing unless it results in carbon credit activity=money in his pocket.

al gore needs terminal lead poinsoning for what he's done which has caused more harm to our country than the madoff ponzi scheme. But no, he's got a nobel prize. Commie bastards.

The mini ice age starts here

By David Rose
    Last updated at 11:17 AM on 10th January 2010

The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.

Their predictions – based on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans – challenge some of the global warming orthodoxy’s most deeply cherished beliefs, such as the claim that the North Pole will be free of ice in
    summer by 2013.

According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute this

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1EXE4T5HZ
    I saw a show on DISC/HIST channel not too long ago, about ice ages... one thing that stood out was that "they" used to think it took hundreds of years for an ice-age to cumulatively get colder each year.... like maybe a thousand years for an ice age to get cold enough to kill us all.

Nope, by digging through glacier floors and analyzing snow/ice cores with dust in them (not sure of the physics how they can tell)... but "THEY" now think that ice ages can occur quite rapidly, like over 10 (TEN) years...

Like... Man this winter was cold, was last winter this cold? Is it just me, or is this winter colder than last year? By the time you get to the 5th-6th year, you're like.... WTH is going on? Then, why isn't this stuff melting? Really? Oh Crap!

This is about a few degrees of drop in average temps - which is enough to cause things like the Chesepeak Bay to freeze over during winter - not a full blown "ice age" with glaciers. But, it does affect global food production.

Quote Originally Posted by rahatlakhoom View Post
    I was thinking that 2012 was the completion of one zodiacal cycle of 26,000 years.
    Most cultures studied this...and that's exactly what 2012 is. That's why so many different cultures refer to 2012 as a year of major change.

There may be some interesting times...but there have been interesting times this year too. Basically, I'm more worried about a dirty nuke than the calandar hitting 12/23/12...unless I forget to buy my mother a birthday card. That's her birthday, and without a card from me the S will surely HTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    We'd be plunged right back into the 1800's...
    I've spent the largest part of my life studying how our ancestors lived their daily lives in the 1700's. This would be my final exam.

Huzzah. Count me in.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
    I've spent the largest part of my life studying how our ancestors lived their daily lives in the 1700's. This would be my final exam.

Huzzah. Count me in.
    Sure would help if we were 30 years younger and without the bad backs though. Funny about growing up without electricity or running water. When you lose it it's no big deal but the kids thought it was a disaster.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I'd settle for 10... and enough money to buy a hidey-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    This is about a few degrees of drop in average temps - which is enough to cause things like the Chesepeak Bay to freeze over during winter - not a full blown "ice age" with glaciers. But, it does affect global food production.

I grew up in Md and it is pretty rare for the Chesapeake to freeze.

"The climate of the area surrounding the bay is primarily humid subtropical, with hot, very humid summers and cold to mild winters. Only the area around the mouth of the Susquehanna River is continental in nature, and the mouth of the Susquehanna River and the Susquehanna flats often freeze in winter. It is exceedingly rare for the surface of the bay to freeze in winter, as happened most recently in the winter of 1976-1977"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    I grew up in Md and it is pretty rare for the Chesapeake to freeze.

"The climate of the area surrounding the bay is primarily humid subtropical, with hot, very humid summers and cold to mild winters. Only the area around the mouth of the Susquehanna River is continental in nature, and the mouth of the Susquehanna River and the Susquehanna flats often freeze in winter. It is exceedingly rare for the surface of the bay to freeze in winter, as happened most recently in the winter of 1976-1977"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay
    I remeber 1976 and 77 quite well although I was living in Indian going to IU at the time. (I had lived near Anapolis from 68 to 73 so am familiar with the bay area) It was a very cold decade and those years were brutally cold. We had several lows in the -48°F range and tons of snow both of those winters. IN particular if I recall correctly it was January 77 a blizzard came through IN, OH, IL, KY, TN all the way south into AL and dumped a bunch of snow. I opened my apartment door one morning to go to class and there was a snow drift as tall as my nose in front of my door blocking the path to my car. The car was basically a snow drift, couldn't see it.

The Global warming douche-bags are going to have to go buy long johns soon possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I remeber 1976 and 77 quite well although I was living in Indian going to IU at the time. (I had lived near Anapolis from 68 to 73 so am familiar with the bay area) It was a very cold decade and those years were brutally cold. We had several lows in the -48°F range and tons of snow both of those winters. IN particular if I recall correctly it was January 77 a blizzard came through IN, OH, IL, KY, TN all the way south into AL and dumped a bunch of snow. I opened my apartment door one morning to go to class and there was a snow drift as tall as my nose in front of my door blocking the path to my car. The car was basically a snow drift, couldn't see it.

The Global warming douche-bags are going to have to go buy long johns soon possibly.
    Same as now, I lived on a mountain then. The window in the living room was covered with ice. Out of curiosity, I heated a steel scale (ruler) and measured 1.125 to 1.25 inches of ice on it.

Although I don't remember the exact year, in the late 1970s there was a blizzard which shut the Hagerstown area down.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    in the late 1970s there was a blizzard which shut the Hagerstown area down.
    Those are my stomping grounds HDR. Well, a bit west of there anyway.

Well, that explains the big foot reports in that area. Though, they were only based on hearing "stomping sounds"

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    2006? Canada?

Is that what caused that US East Coast black out for a few days? Or was that Earlier like 2001? I can't remember when, but I remember all the way into Michigan down here to Georgia, power was lost for a few days... don't remember where I was living at the time or the year, I just remember the power going out for a few days and they blamed it on some kind of sub-station overload or such that cascaded and broke the system down....
    I went though the ice storm here in NY, and the power was down for 13 days. The problem we had was that the power company keep telling us that the power would be up the next day. I was prepared but had lots of food in the fridge and freezer. So I went outside and got all of the ice I could pack in the drawers of the fridge to keep things cold. Used the woodburner for heat and cooking, by day 10 the meat in the freezer started to thaw so I started cooking it off. We made out ok, the worst thing that happened was I couldn't get that dog of mine to eat dry food after eating steak, chicken, and pork chops for a week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12