Thread: AK-74M Update

AK-74M Update

Well, everything is underway.

Started out with a Russian '87 dated Izzy 74 kit. Per the new import restrictions, it had no barrel, but plenty of stubbed parts. The barrel is a Bulgy '74 barrel I got from Copes for a C-note.

For those who don't know, the Russians no longer pin barrel attachments in place. Items such as the rear site base, gas block, and front site base are all punch pressed to secure them rather than pin them.

The two spots on the FSB and GB are the places where each was press punched. It was a bitch to get them out of their respective stubs.

So, as it sits right now, I've got both trunions in, the barrel is in and headspaced, and almost all the barrel accessories on. One interesting thing about this particular FSB is that it's a two-piece affair. You've got the site base that has the site itself, and then the threads, which are the only thing that's actually pinned to the barrel.

So, here are some pics of the progress so far.

You will notice in the pic above, that their are no threads on the barrel or as part of the FSB. That's what I was talking about.

Right now, I'm trying to get the front stock catch installed. It's still a bitch. I'm not sure if I'm going to drill for out for the pins for the GB, RSB, and FSB or tack them in place. The only thing I do have to drill is the threads to secure them to the barrel.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Good luck on the build. I hope you keep posting.

I thought I'd share the progress since I had soooo much fun getting the barrel. Right now, I'd say I'm about 60% complete. Like I said, getting the rest of the stuff on the barrel installed and figuring out which way to secure it and I'm done. You can rest assured, I will post pics of the her once she's finished.

I still can't believe I've got a Russian AK 74 kit. I thought I'd hit the jackpot when I got my '71 dated Izzy AKM kit a couple of years ago. Now, I'll have the true companion.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Looks good so far.

Can't wait to see that '74 when you have finished all the works.

Thanks for the pics.

Well, I've got it all mocked up. Still need to install the last part of the MB threads, secure all the accouterments and install the FC parts, but this is basically what she's gonna look like.

One interesting note, I had to do a little manual adjustment on the buttstock. For some reason after I got the front stock catch installed, it wouldn't lock up. Seems the through-rivet in the rear trunion was too well formed and was causing the stock not to fold properly. Did a little bit of filing on the rivet head to flatten it out and it now clears the rivet, but then it wouldn't lock up. So, I had to use a big ole punch and a nice size hammer to get it to bend a little to grab the catch. She locks up solid now.

Just to show off a little, I stuffed an orange bakelite Izzy mag in her to see what she'd mostly look like when done.

Whaddya think?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

These are the threads I enjoy the most.Good looking work so far.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Looking good and as AKTexas said these are the most enjoyable threads!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Are you posting in the build forum too?

I think it's cool that you're using a Russian 74 kit. And the Bulgy barrel would be my pick too over a US made one.

Looks a little more challenging than building on a Romy or Bulgy kit...

I've considered doing one more build myself but every time I look into it I find that I'd be better off just buying a Saiga and doing the pg conversion and mods to it...

Of course, I wouldn't end-up with a "Russian 74" though....

Looking forward to the continuing posts.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Looking good and as AKTexas said these are the most enjoyable threads!
    These threads are what drew me to Gunsnet.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 02-21-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yep, me too IIRC my first visit was to check out building how-to's.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I got in to building almost as a progression of my tinkering. I had a MISR/SA that was a complete POS. Typical CAI trigger, i.e. bit the shit out of you TF, and I ran across a site that showed the how-to of installing a 2-hook trigger. After a little trial and error, I finally got the knack. Then the damn rifle wouldn't function for shit. BC kept hitting the cross-bar of the safety. Did a little bit of filing and a lite touch of a dremel sanding drum, and that was it. I was hooked. That and living in the same town as Surly, and well, the rest as they say, is history. He's the one who showed me the ropes and got me started.

Since then, I've built a Yugo M70AB2 (my first), a Romy MD63, an SA-85M, an kbKMS, an AMMS, an AKM, an AKS-74U, wbz 88, AMD 65, Romy Khyber Pass clone, a Bulgarian AK 74 fixed stock, I've converted a Draco to an SBR, and replaced the front end on a post-sample AM 65. I've got this AK-74, a Bulgarian Krink in 7.62x39 in the works, and I'm debating on doing a Saiga .308 Krink (which would a fucking smoking hot rifle, I think). Then there's the Saigas I own, a 12 and a .308. Not so much a build as something a little different.

(One of these days, I'll do another pic thread with the collection to show off. Thanks to AKNut, I've got the folder bug pretty bad.)

The last store-bought AK I have is the Draco. Store bought rifles just don't do it for me anymore. Hardly anybody makes what I'm looking for anymore, and those that do charge an arm, a leg, a pint of blood, and the promise of your first-born (Hello? Arsenal, are you listening?) That leaves building. With a set of twins at home, I have to become a little more discriminating in what I want to build. Shit, this last project was something of a lark. $100 Bulgarian 5.45 barrels? Are you kidding, really? I jumped on that like a fat kid on a cupcake. Then it hit me. I've got to have something to put this on/in.

Remember Frenchy? (BTW, anyone heard anything from him? Haven't heard a peep from him since the old site went down. Just wondering how he's doing is all.) Dude could score the best, most jaw dropping deals on Dragunovs (and man, did he have Dragunovs!) Reason? Luck and patience. That's what happened here. Luck had it there was a Rusky 74 kit on GB that had been there for weeks with no action. Biggety-Bam and here I am!

What's next? Who knows. But when I get bit, I'll be sure to share it here with you guys!

Edit to add: This site, and it's predecessor, also had a lot to do with where I am. Because of the folks here, I have a part-time gig working at a machine gun shoot and a place on a Class 7 manufacturers FFL fixing his post-sample AKs. So, you could say that this site has done as much to do with who/what I've become as anything else. Guys like AKNut, SASM7, ATAK, ruskiegunlover, Surly, El Laton Caliente, and even printertard (for examples of what NOT to do) and others too numerous to mention.
    Last edited by hazmat; 02-21-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Whassa wbx88?
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Oops...That was supposed to be wbz 88. My Polack Tantal 5.45. I fixed it.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

No wonder my friend Mr Google couldn't find anything...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

You know, I proof read every post at least twice before I hit the 'post' button, but sometimes the old eye just skips right over shit like that.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Latest update.

Pretty much done with the rifle, save the refinish. Had one speedbump this afternoon that involved the 2-piece FSB/FH set up. It's a PITA to put back on. Tried everything. 12-ton press, brass hammer, brass hammer and ball-peen hammer, generously applied heat and all it would get was about 1/4" from the end and stop. Bowed the shit out of the barrel trying. Ended up replacing it with a Bulgarian single-piece set up. Lots of cussing and head scratching, that.

If you come across this set up in a kit, beware. It's a motherfucker.

So, here we have the almost-finished product.

Once I get it finished, I'll put up some more pics.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Getting close. Very Nice!

Think you might refinish the handguards, or are they too valuable or something?

I think I'll leave them as-is. I got lucky in that I got the set and they matched, and I've got a small stash of Russian PGs. Another lucky break, I had one that matched. Although I think I may have to go on another buying spree, as these last few projects are putting a crimp in my stash.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009