Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody here living completely off the grid (accept for internet service...)?

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    IMO
    A propane refrigerator is the best way to go.
    Why?

You'd still not be off the grid if you are fuel dependent.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Some good stuff - actual wind speeds (I understand that this increases at some constant rate as you go higher?) , industrial deep-cycle batteries for cheap.... this is what I was wanting to disucss. Thanks.

And I guess really, if you could find some land that has a constantly running stream going through it, you could hook up a succession of hydro-electric generators (they make these comercially just for the purpose - I've seen them), this would be the best answer for constant source power - but of course, you'd need to be in the south so that the water runs through the winter....

One thing is for sure, you need to have a rather complex system set up in order to duplicate what we're used to enjoying from being hooked into the power grid...

But I think it would be worth it.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Why?

You'd still not be off the grid if you are fuel dependent.

As long as you have modern conveniences like refrigeration, you will never not be dependent.
    If I was in a secluded area using wind power to power my refrigerator, and the wind did not blow. I would have one hell of a time trying to eat everything in the refrigerator before it went bad. with propane I could just fill up one of those big assed tanks and I would be worry free for a few years.
    My brother in law used to live simple like that. Propane refrigeration is the only way to go. but then again if you are trying to get off the grid as much as possible, forget everything and just get a nice camp trailer. Throw a couple of solar panels on top and your good to go. On the other hand when people start talking about purchasing property, building a house and putting a big assed wind generator up. you are talking an elaborate setup and there will be a lot of maintenance involved. So they would be one hell of allot more dependent than the guy living simple in a camp trailer or even the guy living in a rural area.
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 07-31-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Some good stuff - actual wind speeds (I understand that this increases at some constant rate as you go higher?) , industrial deep-cycle batteries for cheap.... this is what I was wanting to disucss. Thanks.
    There are probably generators that make more power than that one; although they will be more costly also.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/produc...hisper500.html $8500 plus a tower etc.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    industrial deep-cycle batteries for cheap.... this is what I was wanting to disucss. Thanks.

Keeping them charged is a need, not a want when food is frozen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12