Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about selling guns online

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Question about selling guns online

What is the required method for me to ship a gun? Its got to be overnight UPS or Fedex right? How much does this normally cost? I've never shipped anything overnight and have no idea how much it costs so I can take that into consideration for my price.

Also, do I need to get a physical copy of the FFL to whom I am to ship, or can I just check the number they give me on the ATF site?

Thanks guys. I've got some guns I need to unload and have never done it online before.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

To the best of my knowledge, unless you hold a FFL, you cannot ship a gun through the mail. Only a FFL can do that. You will have to go through a dealer to get it done. And, it has to be sent to another FFL holder, too.(I could be wrong here, but I've always heard this.)

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

NO NO NO NO NO!

Anybody can ship a gun through the mail. However, you must be sending to an FFL or gunsmith with FFL or C&R as the case may be. I include a copy of the ffl for the receiving dealer and a copy of my driver's license for the dealer to use to log the gun in.

A faxed or emailed copy of the ffl is just dandy - as you say, you can check the number and addy on-line.

If your local USPS will allow it, you can ship vial priority mail with no trouble - that's what I do and there's a post office form that you fill out stating that what you are doing is legal and listing the address of the receiveing dealer and your address.

Handguns must go either this way or overnight. Basically, a trackable, rapid method. If the post office isn't jiggy, then you use UPS or Fedex.

Of course, don't forget the insurance!

I've sold a shit load of guns and shipped them and know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 02-18-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO!

Anybody can ship a gun through the mail. However, you must be sending to an FFL or gunsmith with FFL or C&R as the case may be. I include a copy of the ffl for the receiving dealer and a copy of my driver's license for the dealer to use to log the gun in.

A faxed or emailed copy of the ffl is just dandy - as you say, you can check the number and addy on-line.

If your local USPS will allow it, you can ship vial priority mail with no trouble - that's what I do and there's a post office form that you fill out stating that what you are doing is legal and listing the address of the receiveing dealer and your address.

Handguns must go either this way or overnight. Basically, a trackable, rapid method. If the post office isn't jiggy, then you use UPS or Fedex.

I will give you a pat on the back for your post bro.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

NO NO NO NO NO!

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate this information.

However, I'm confused about:
    I include a copy of the ffl for the receiving dealer and a copy of my driver's license for the dealer to use to log the gun in.
    Do you personally have an FFL that you send to the receiving FFL, or are you sending them back a copy of theirs? I don't have an FFL to send anyway.

Also, how much does it generally cost to ship? I have only ever sold one thing through the mail, a game console, so I'm not sure how much to charge for shipping.

Also, when you go to the post office to arrange shipping, do you leave the gun in a prepared shipping package in your car while you go discuss it inside or what?

Thanks for helping me with newbie questions. I know about guns and buying guns, but just not selling. I've only ever sold guns at the gun show.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate this information.

However, I'm confused about:

Do you personally have an FFL that you send to the receiving FFL, or are you sending them back a copy of theirs? I don't have an FFL to send anyway.

Also, how much does it generally cost to ship? I have only ever sold one thing through the mail, a game console, so I'm not sure how much to charge for shipping.

Also, when you go to the post office to arrange shipping, do you leave the gun in a prepared shipping package in your car while you go discuss it inside or what?

Thanks for helping me with newbie questions. I know about guns and buying guns, but just not selling. I've only ever sold guns at the gun show.

Whoever you are shipping the firearm to you must have a copy of there FFL that proves they are legit.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    Whoever you are shipping the firearm to you must have a copy of there FFL that proves they are legit.
    Gotcha. I need it to show to the post office, not to mail. Thanks.

Not exactly. I bring my guns to the PO all packed up with their form filled out. The copy of the receiving dealer's ffl goes in with the gun - this way if for some reason the BATFE takes a look at this during transit (not likely), it is clear that it is a legal firearm shipment.

You really must send a copy of some kind of ID though - the ffl needs to log the gun into his book and must have something to show who the gun came from.

Ok. Thanks.

So, is the copy of the receiving FFL to go inside the sealed box with the gun, or do I give it to the post office along with their paperwork?

You can ship a rifle through USPS. You can ship a rifle to a resident of your state as long as they are able (not a felon) to buy it legally. Other wise it must go to a FFL.

You CAN NOT mail a handgun, unless you are a Bona Fide dealer. In other words, a person with a 03 FFL CAN NOT legally mail a C&R handgun.

You can have your dealer mail a handgun via USPS Priority Flat Rate, which is usually cheaper than sending it overnight or 2nd day via UPS, Fed-Ex, etc., even with his fee added.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    You can ship a rifle through USPS. You can ship a rifle to a resident of your state as long as they are able (not a felon) to buy it legally. Other wise it must go to a FFL.

You CAN NOT mail a handgun, unless you are a Bona Fide dealer. In other words, a person with a 03 FFL CAN NOT legally mail a C&R handgun.

You can have your dealer mail a handgun via USPS Priority Flat Rate, which is usually cheaper than sending it overnight or 2nd day via UPS, Fed-Ex, etc., even with his fee added.
    Thank you for your reply, although now it seems that I am receiving conflicting answers from two respected members.

I e-mailed my dealer earlier to ask for advice. I guess I'll wait to hear from him.

I figured anybody could sell a pistol online.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Thank you for your reply, although now it seems that I am receiving conflicting answers from two respected members.

I e-mailed my dealer earlier to ask for advice. I guess I'll wait to hear from him.

I figured anybody could sell a pistol online.
    Anyone can sell a pistol online. Getting it from point A to point B is a different matter.
    I have mailed many rifles through USPS and my dealer has shipped several HGs through USPS.
    Not 1 problem.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Anyone can sell a pistol online. Getting it from point A to point B is a different matter.
    I have mailed many rifles through USPS and my dealer has shipped several HGs through USPS.
    Not 1 problem.
    OK, thanks. I guess I'll get in touch with my dealer and let him worry about shipping it. I had this feeling I would be tackled if I walked in the post office with a gun anyway.

My dealer told me that I can ship handguns myself and that they have to go second day air Fedex or UPS.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 gewehr44's Avatar

Linked below is the Firearms Shipping Guide from Gunbroker.com:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...spx?faqid=1118

Good link Gewehr44.

I've shipped C&R handguns via the USPS Priority Mail many times.... as an FFL holder (type 03), I was allowed to ship. You can ship cap and ball revolvers to any place where they are treated as non-firearms. If it said "FFL", then I figured my 03 FFL was qualified.

Never had any trouble but I let my 03 expire, so not an issue for me any longer.

Regular handguns can be shipped by unlicensed people to FFL's - Fedex or UPS overnight "air" only. You are required to inform them that you are shipping a firearm.

Anyway - the link has all the gorey details.

Shouldn't be this complicated....

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

It wasn't until 1968... thanks LBJ.

Good link Gewehr44.

I've shipped C&R handguns via the USPS Priority Mail many times.... as an FFL holder (type 03), I was allowed to ship. You can ship cap and ball revolvers to any place where they are treated as non-firearms. If it said "FFL", then I figured my 03 FFL was qualified.

Never had any trouble but I let my 03 expire, so not an issue for me any longer.

Regular handguns can be shipped by unlicensed people to FFL's - Fedex or UPS overnight "air" only. You are required to inform them that you are shipping a firearm.

Anyway - the link has all the gorey details.

Actually, with all due respect, you cannot.
    An 03 FFL holder is not a dealer as described by the BATFE. Only dealers can ship handguns via USPS.
    Here the law from USPS's web site:
    Quotes are enlarged to find easily, not me yelling.

12.1.2 Handguns

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6.
    12.1.3 Authorized Persons

Subject to 12.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.

f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.

g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 12.1.3c. through 12.1.3e.
    12.1.4 Affidavit of Addressee

Any person proposing to mail a handgun under 12.1.3 must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee setting forth that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm under a particular category of 12.1.3a. through 12.1.3g, and that the firearm is intended for the addressee's official use. The affidavit must also bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official duty use of the addressee, signed by one of the following, as appropriate:

a. For officers of Armed Forces, by the commanding officer.

b. For officers and employees of enforcement agencies, by the head of the agency employing the addressee to perform the official duty with which the firearm is to be used.

c. For watchmen, by the chief clerk of the department, bureau, or independent branch of the government of the United States, the state, the territory, or the district by which the watchman is employed.

d. For the purchasing agent or other designated member of enforcement agencies, by the head of such agency, that the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee included in 12.1.3c. through 12.1.3e, Authorized Persons.
    12.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.
    12.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers and Dealers

A licensed manufacturer or dealer need not file the affidavit under 12.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms, that the parcels containing handguns (or major component parts thereof) are customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of his or her knowledge or belief the addressees are licensed manufacturers or dealers of firearms.
    12.1.7 FBI Crime Detection Bureaus

Handguns may be mailed without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6 if:

a. Addressed to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), or its director, or to the scientific laboratory or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers or officers of a state, territory, or district authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment; or

b. Offered by an authorized agent of the federal government as an official shipment to any qualified addressee in categories 12.1.3a. through 12.1.3g, or to a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or to a federal agency.
    12.2 Antique Firearms

Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.
    12.3 Rifles and Shotguns

C&R's is not antique.

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 12.1.1e and 12.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 12.1.1e.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Only dealers can ship handguns via USPS.
    Here the law from USPS's web site:
    So I should be fine then as long as I use UPS or Fedex right? My dealer told me it was fine as long as I use UPS or Fedex, and send it "air".

Well, the link at gunbroker made it clear:

Shipping Legalities
    Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL) only. The recipient must have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).
    Thanks guys.

Well, then, I guess I broke the law several times... oh well. I did it with the full knowledge of the post office as I made it clear that I was a type 03 FFL on the paperwork. They never flinched.

Of course, when I say I did these things, it's for discussion purposes only

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast