Thread: Mighty Microbes eat the oil in the gulf.... or....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Post Mighty Microbes eat the oil in the gulf.... or....

From Yahoo today:

----------------

By JOHN CAREY, environmental writer
    Where is all the oil? Nearly two weeks after BP finally capped the biggest oil spill in U.S. history, the [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]oil [COLOR=#366388 !important]slicks[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] that once spread across thousands of miles of the Gulf of Mexico have largely disappeared. Nor has much oil washed up on the sandy beaches and marshes along the Louisiana coast. And the small cleanup army in the Gulf has only managed to skim up a tiny fraction of the millions of gallons of oil spilled in the 100 days since the [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Deepwater [COLOR=#366388 !important]Horizon [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 !important]rig[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] went up in flames.
    So where did the oil go? "Some of the oil evaporates," explains Edward Bouwer, professor of environmental engineering at Johns Hopkins University. That’s especially true for the more toxic components of oil, which tend to be very volatile, he says. Jeffrey W. Short, a scientist with the environmental group Oceana, told the New York Times that as much as 40 percent of the oil might have evaporated when it reached the surface. High winds from two recent storms may have speeded the evaporation process.
    [Photos: Latest from the Gulf oil spill]
    [Related: 100 days of oil: Gulf life changed for good]
    Although there were more than 4,000 boats involved in the skimming operations, those [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]cleanup [COLOR=#366388 !important]crews[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] may have only picked up a small percentage of the oil so far. That’s not unusual; in previous oil spills, crews could only scoop up a small amount of oil. "It’s very unusual to get more than 1 or 2 percent," says Cornell University ecologist Richard Howarth, who worked on the Exxon Valdez spill. Skimming operations will continue in the Gulf for several weeks.

Some of the oil has sunk into the sediments on the [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]ocean [COLOR=#366388 !important]floor[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. Researchers say that’s where the spill could do the most damage. But according to a report in Wednesday’s New York Times, "federal scientists [have determined] the oil [is] primarily sitting in the [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]water [COLOR=#366388 !important]column[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and not on the sea floor."

Perhaps the most important cause of the oil’s disappearance, some researchers suspect, is that the oil has been devoured by microbes. The lesson from past spills is that the lion’s share of the cleanup work is done by nature in the form of oil-eating bacteria and fungi. The microbes break down the hydrocarbons in oil to use as fuel to grow and reproduce. A bit of oil in the water is like a feeding frenzy, causing microbial populations to grow exponentially.

Typically, there are enough microbes in the ocean to consume half of any oil spilled in a month or two, says Howarth. Such microbes have been found in every ocean of the world sampled, from the Arctic to Antarctica. But there are reasons to think that the process may occur more quickly in the Gulf than in other oceans.

Microbes grow faster in the warmer water of the Gulf than they do in, say, the cool waters off Alaska, where the Exxon Valdez spill occurred. Moreover, the Gulf is hardly pristine. Even before humans started drilling for oil in the Gulf — and spilling lots of it — oil naturally seeped into the water. As a result, the Gulf evolved a rich collection of petroleum-loving microbes, ready to pounce on any new spill. The microbes are clever and tough, observes Samantha Joye, microbial geochemist at the University of Georgia. Joye has shown that oxygen levels in parts of the Gulf contaminated with oil have dropped. Since microbes need oxygen to eat the petroleum, that’s evidence that the microbes are hard at work.

The controversial dispersant used to break up the oil as it gushed from the deep-sea well may have helped the microbes do their work. Microbes can more easily consume small drops of oil than big ones. And there is evidence the microbes like to munch on the dispersant as well.

It is still far too early to know how much damage the spill has done — and may still be doing — to the environment. [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Tar [COLOR=#366388 !important]balls[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] continue to wash up on beaches. And the risk of a leak remains, until the well is permanently capped sometime in the next few weeks.

-----------------------

Well, this is just weird.

Why didn't the mightly microbes eat the oil spilled in Alaska at Prince William Sound? Exon Valdez.....?

Poof! Oil is gone.

I suspect that the real answer is that the oil is suspended in the water column - which they also mention....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Dang - all of a sudden, I copy some text from Yahoo and I get all of the editing codes.... WTF?

And then, I go to delete the post... can't finger that out either.

I've fallen and I can't get up...

Or it could be the Pols who control the Fed who control the EPA have decided it would be better politically not to have a huge oil spill in the run up to the Nov elections.

Rather then say there's a few million gallons of oil under the water, if they just say it's not there and the MSM media goes along with it the populace will think it's all gone...along with the political problems.

Wanna bet the oil will be showing up on beaches for years to come but that will not be made into a big deal until after Nov.

thats just too damn much oil to dissappear.

All that dispersant they used had to have made the oil suspended in the water.

Who wants to bet that there will be some deep sea life washing up on some atlantic beaches in the next year or two?

It evaporated.... no no, oh, I know, the microbes ate it up! Yeah, people know how hungry those microbes are.... yeah that'll do it.

When you post, above where you enter your post the button next to the fonts pull down is supposed to remove text formatting.

If you edit a post the remove text formatting is the fourth one to the left of the fonts pull down.

It may not work editing a post.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 gewehr44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    From Yahoo today:

----------------
    (deleted...)
    -----------------------

Why didn't the mightly microbes eat the oil spilled in Alaska at Prince William Sound? Exon Valdez.....?

Poof! Oil is gone.

I suspect that the real answer is that the oil is suspended in the water column - which they also mention....
    I think it's a multiple part answer. Some of the oil that was 'dispersed' has settled to the sea floor, some is suspended in the water column & some is being broken down by microbes.

Now as to why in the Gulf but not Prince William Sound? The Gulf has natural oil seeps for microbes to feed off of & perhaps the warmer water supports the microbes better? The colder weather probably also slows down the natural breakdown of the crude in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

Poof! Oil is gone.

As far as the Exxon Valdez goes, they actually mention why it took so long. Basic 7th Grade Life Science (You know, where you got to play with yeasts, etc.):

Microbes grow faster in the warmer water of the Gulf than they do in, say, the cool waters off Alaska, where the Exxon Valdez spill occurred.
    As far as being "too much oil" to disappear, not really. Oil spills happen naturally fairly constantly. Long before man started drilling it was bubbling up to the surface all over the world. Why isn't the Earth covered in oil slicks? Because microbes, trillions of them, eat it. The downside is they kill the oxygenation of the water. Think an oil fed "red tide". Those, too, nature recovers from quite easily.

Nature always finds a way.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

110,000,000 gallons of oil will not disappear in a few weeks regardless of how much microbe activity is going on. I think alot of the light oil floated up and has burned off with the sun, the majority of the heavy crude is on the bottom. But it's really the action of the MSM that I think is most interesting, they are rushing to bury this spill before the Nov elections and that's the real story.

The oil didn't just disappear.... my bet is it was dispersed in the water, diluted all down to where its not apparent to the naked eye. Its there, poisoning everything.