Thread: Anyone ever remove a magazine tube from a Mossberg 500?

Anyone ever remove a magazine tube from a Mossberg 500?

The title says it all, if you've done it mind telling how tough it was?

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Some take brute force and on rare occasions, you can uncrew it quite easily. The 590s that my platoon had in Iraq were easily stripped down to their bare receivers, but my own personal 500s are a PITA. I give up every time I try. You may have to put the receiver in a padded vice and crank away if it's a tough one.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I think a strap wrench might be best to use, they use std RH threads correct?

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I think a strap wrench might be best to use, they use std RH threads correct?
    Correct, lefty-loosey. I did some quick research out of curiosity and I found out that civilian Mossberg shotguns have red loctite on the magazine tube threads, whereas military-issue and 590 shotguns do not. That explains why the USMC Mossys were so easy to disassemble and the 500s are darn-near impossible! Through my random internet researching I kept noticing people saying to lightly heat the threads then to use leather-padded vice-grips at the muzzle-end of the magazine tube to loosen it. I'll have to give this a try myself some time.

There is more than one red Loctite

Loctite 263 is red and "releases" at 350F.

http://www.henkelna.com/anaerobic-th...-263-12307.htm

Loctite 271 is red and "It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C)."
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/...er-Red-271.htm

I did it...

I removed the tube on my '60's vintage Mossberg 500 20 gauge. It took a vise and a pipe wrench to break it loose. When I got it apart, it did have red thread locker on the threads. I scuffed mine a little (nothing serious though) so be prepared to pad the vice and whatever wrench you use.

Shawn

Yup, the first time is not pleasant. I didn't heat mine for fear of melting the follower but it came off eventually. I taped it up with duct tape and then cranked it off with channel locks.

Three word come to mind when I think about taking mine apart for the first time:

A Fu@king Pain in the Ass.

No wait. That's six words!
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Quote Originally Posted by cciota View Post
    Three word come to mind when I think about taking mine apart for the first time:

A Fu@king Pain in the Ass.

No wait. That's six words!
    A fscking pita is three

lol

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Clamp the receiver in a vise between two pieces of wood and use a strap wrench.

If it won't budge use a torch to soften the Loc-Tite.

Not an easy chore and one that has the potential for damage, so unless you've got a really good reason I wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by weevil; 07-29-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Not an easy chore and one that has the potential for damage, so unless you've got a really good reason I wouldn't do it.
    So when it is re-assembled who would use red loctite is the next question..

I agree, if the military doesn't feel the need for it I doubt I would reapply it.

The reason I'm asking is a friend has a Maverick 7 shot home defense shotgun, I have a std 500A, he wants the tang safety of the 500A but wants to keep his 7 shot tube and barrel. I figured we could switch the tubes around and configure the shotgun to his liking. Either one is at best a $150 shotgun so it's not like we are risking the farm on the conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    So when it is re-assembled who would use red loctite is the next question..

I didn't ever use anything and never had one come loose.

I've never quite been sure why they use Loc-Tite.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I agree, if the military doesn't feel the need for it I doubt I would reapply it.

The reason I'm asking is a friend has a Maverick 7 shot home defense shotgun, I have a std 500A, he wants the tang safety of the 500A but wants to keep his 7 shot tube and barrel. I figured we could switch the tubes around and configure the shotgun to his liking. Either one is at best a $150 shotgun so it's not like we are risking the farm on the conversion...

As long as you don't damage the receiver you're fine the tube and parts are all easy to find at pretty reasonable prices.