Thread: ATF classifying saiga 12 as "destructive device"..uncofirmed

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.

ATF classifying saiga 12 as "destructive device"..uncofirmed

Was talking to a guy in a gun shop in Ocala,FL about the 922 job i'm doing on my 223ak and he said he got a notice from the ATF today that the 12's are going to be classified the same as street sweepers because of the high cap drums.

Currently unconfirmed but he did'nt follow it up with trying to sell me one so it does'nt stink of sales pitch to me. Not even sure if he had one in stock or not. Did'nt ask since i'm out of state.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Calling bullshit on this one.Unless it confirmed it is not worth even talking about.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

That's why i made the unconfirmed part so obvious. I'm poking around the atf site to see if i can find anything right now

ATF ATF announces the publication of the Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns. To obtain comments from the affected industry, ATF will be accepting comments January 31, 2011, through May 1, 2011, at shotgunstudy@atf.gov.

This is about importation but look on page 20 and 30 and see if those pics look a little familliar....I'll wager the ATF is thinking about it even if the store guy was possibly just trying to run a crappy sales pitch. He might've been referring to that too but i don't know.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Those drums are not imported.They are manufactured in the US.

The Saiga does not come into the country in the so called ATF opinion/definition of sporting configuration.

I'd find a new shop to deal with.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Don't let the hype scare you.

I ordered a drum and a shotgun the weekend the panic started, Arms of America canceled my order four days later after prices shot up everywhere else. Now I've got a drum and no gun.

This is why you shouldn't participate in panic buys.

This is about the third time I have heard the rummor now. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened but, it hasn't yet so who knows.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

You must reply by May 1 to the atf. I did.
    The gun IS legal when imported and is legal when American made parts are put on them.
    I don't see any problems, though some will be manfactured for gub reasons.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight You. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963. Good Conduct Medal. And They Wanted It Back.

Well, got my Saiga 20, Saiga 12, and all kinds of mags including drum, clear solid and whatever else I could find.
    I ADDED a Polly Choke to both and just got the tele stock in for them. Now all I need is the TIME to put them together.
    I like to shoot trap so these should be fine for that.

As far as the ban, I think Holder is in deep crap now for his gun running so do not see this becoming a problem.

I find the saiga 12 "bulky" compared to say a Mossberg, BUT this is just ugly. I worry they will tell people it's an DD or AOW if you slap in a drum, or some other decree. Sort of how they can say a psitol is an "SBR" with a front handgrip and get away with it.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

I've read several articles where there is conversation in Washington concerning the Saiga shotguns. Here's one link.

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/ale...ical-shotguns/