Thread: OK, Mag Gurus, Here's One For You

OK, Mag Gurus, Here's One For You

Got this mag from a friend, just back from the sandbox. Actually, I got two. One was an EG, but I'm having hard time placing this one. I think it's a Paki mag, due to several factors, not the least of which is the quality of construction.

There is a distinct lack of any acceptance stamps or marks of any kind on this mag. The body itself doesn't sound like any other mag I own, it has a different and distinct tinging sound when I hit it with anything. And that metal is a little on the soft side.

As you can see in the pic of the feed lips and front catch, it seems to be a little off-kilter. At one point, I thought the entire mag was out of kilter trying to line up the top of the mag. It's just the way this one sits is all. The mag is straight, but the rest of it ain't.

So what say the experts? Do I have a gen-u-ine imitation Pakistani AK mag, or is this from someplace else?
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Will a magnet stick to it?
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

I'd say it could be Egyptian although you are right it's cruder then even the worse of those.

BTW when you say sandbox are you talking Iraq or Afghanistan? Pakistani might me more common in A-stan, Egyptian in Iraq....

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Just wondering...does it fit and feed cartridges okay?

Sand box as is A-stan, and it fits, but it has problems feeding. Could be from the big ass dent in the right side about 2" from the top. When I got it, the follower wouldn't even go down past the bottom of the feed lips. Now, it compresses all the way, I've got a full 30 rds in it, but it won't feed for shit.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Homebuild?
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Quote Originally Posted by AK again View Post
    Homebuild?
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. Was this built in some factory, or was it built by Mohammed the Mud-Hut Machinist in Durka-Durkastan?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009