Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets do it, rimfire Postal Match

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Lets do it, rimfire Postal Match

Anybody interested? Summer is half over and I need an excuse to shoot. I've been shooting anyway but its more fun shooting for a reason and with others even if it is long distance and on line.

Sign on and we will set up some rules and targets.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

swampdragon
    I'm totally lost.
    What's a Postal Match?

swampdragon
    Never mind. I looked it up.
    It's an NRA thing?
    What keeps people from cheating?
    I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I'm totally lost.
    What's a Postal Match?
    Well, you take this little stamp see. You dissolve some match heads in acetone and dip the ends of the stamp in the wet slurry and let it dry. then when you post the letter and they run it through their sorter machine they strike the match. Since most postal workers spend almost all of their time on vacation or break nobody will notice and you can burn down that branch of the post office.

Or you down load the designated target, take it out and shoot it according to match rules which we haven't made yet and post it. At the end of the month the designated referee's will declare a winner and that shooter gets to brag till the next match. We shoot a standard target down loaded from the same site so everybody has the same thing. We set the ranges and the number of shots to be shot on each target. On the left hand side of the target you post the shots you made on that target and add up the score on the bottom so everybody can tell at a glance what you shot. Any rimfire works, handgun or rifle, bolt, lever or semi auto, revolver or pistol, off the shelf or match weapons, they are all in. On the top or bottom write date, time, what course of fire it was on the target, what weapon and what ammo, maybe light and weather conditions.

It was interesting to see what some of us were shooting in like my snow days and 28 degrees vs somebody from Texas complaining about the freezing 50 degree days and the 8 mph winds or Arkansas shooting between thunderstorms and tornadoes. Seems like our perfect days were few and far between.

Offhand and bench are the two positions, iron sights and any sight are the two categories. Ranges were 25, 50 and 100 yards in our last match. The ranges can be negotiated by whoever wants to shoot just as long as everybody agrees and shoots the same. Which course of fire you shoot is entirely your choice, some or all, it makes no difference.

I'm not camera literate so I was sending my targets out by E-mail and getting them posted for me till I got photobucket. Then that crashed for me and I'm back to no pictures but that's my problem and it will be worked out. For me the whole thing was an excuse to go shoot. I was going to anyway but the discipline of shooting to match rules just made it a wee bit more challenging. It made me work harder and improved my shooting. I would really like to get this off the ground in both rimfire and 1911 categories. Different match different rules but still you shoot where you are, score your own on the honor system and post the targets.

I wonder if that match stamp thing would work? Sometimes I am evil and I almost, not quite but almost scare me.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Oh sure I get all busy and type this up and you look it up and post before me, you big bum.

What keeps people from cheating?
    Were gunsnetters we don't cheat. Besides what would it get you? There aren't any prizes and its all for chuckles and giggles.

THUCYDIDES.

swampdragon
    Well, I don't own a rim fire gun.

I have a 7.62 AK, a .45acp HK USP, and a 308 bolt rifle.
    The concept of it all sounds pretty fun though!

Now you have an excuse to get one, any excuse to buy a gun is a good excuse right?

THUCYDIDES.

I have a 7.62 AK, a .45acp HK USP, and a 308 bolt rifle.
    The concept of it all sounds pretty fun though!
    Good reason to get one, anyway why don't you have one ? You should have one at least and It should be on the survive list a case of 22lr go a long way and takes up very little space ya thats right most practical ever besides a shotgun of course. Still get trigger time to hone your skills and best part you save $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I bought a 10/22 a few months ago and it's by far my most used firearm these days.
    In fact I just picked up a Ruger MarkIII pistol this morning...That's how much I have come to love the .22

It's cheap
    It's fun
    Ammo is still reasonable...550 rounds for under $20

As posted in the rimfire thread I am proposing we make it a 50' match using small bore rifle targets for those who do not have an outdoor range or can't shoot 50 and 100 yards. Any other suggestions. It's half past July already and I would like to get at least 5 shooters posted before the 31'st.

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Prometheus168's Avatar

How about rifle AND PISTOL... I love shooting .22 pistol!

Rusty
    GIG'EM AGGIES!
    Lieutenant of Correctional Officers- Texas Dept. Of Criminal Justice.
    Firefighter- Calvert Fire Department

Formerly know as Prometheus606

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    As posted in the rimfire thread I am proposing we make it a 50' match using small bore rifle targets for those who do not have an outdoor range or can't shoot 50 and 100 yards. Any other suggestions. It's half past July already and I would like to get at least 5 shooters posted before the 31'st.
    Well I'm interested.Pistol or rifle.I have both.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

It's rim fire, there are no restrictions other than it be rimfire. I am open to making two categories, handgun and long gun or 4 categories, with iron sights and any sights. What say you all? This is for you and its an excuse to shoot in case you needed an excuse.

THUCYDIDES.

It's rim fire, there are no restrictions other than it be rimfire. I am open to making two categories, handgun and long gun or 4 categories, with iron sights and any sights. What say you all? This is for you and its an excuse to shoot in case you needed an excuse.
    I would go iron sights prefer pistol.What range?Don't need an excuse to shoot.

I'm thinking of restricting it to 50' because some shooters didn't seem to have access to longer ranges last year and weather stopped a lot of people from shooting. If they had an indoor range available that problem would be answered.

If we get enough shooters who want to do it we can stretch it out, I'd like to get some 100 yard stuff going but participation seems to drop off after 25 and 50 yards. Right now I'm just thinking standard small bore 50' rifle and pistol targets. one target for each class, shoot 10 shots, honor system, score your own. Name date and score on your target.

What do you think of making the iron sights offhand shooting with pistol or rifle and any sight shooting from the bench for those who want to get all nitty gritty...........like me.

All suggestions welcome.

THUCYDIDES.

I'm thinking of restricting it to 50' because some shooters didn't seem to have access to longer ranges last year and weather stopped a lot of people from shooting. If they had an indoor range available that problem would be answered.

If we get enough shooters who want to do it we can stretch it out, I'd like to get some 100 yard stuff going but participation seems to drop off after 25 and 50 yards. Right now I'm just thinking standard small bore 50' rifle and pistol targets. one target for each class, shoot 10 shots, honor system, score your own. Name date and score on your target.

What do you think of making the iron sights offhand shooting with pistol or rifle and any sight shooting from the bench for those who want to get all nitty gritty...........like me.

All suggestions welcome.
    15-25 yards off hand open sights pistol.

15-25 yards off hand open sights pistol.
    Any other requests or suggestions. I can shoot any range up to 100 yards but I know some of you in the city are restricted to indoor ranges. What say you.

THUCYDIDES.

15-25 off hand, irons for pistol works for me but I'd also like to see a 50 or 100y scoped shoot.

Don't know if it's too late, but I'm interested in 100yd scoped rifle.

Also, grump, you only mentioned rimfire, so am I correct to assume it's ok to use my .22wmr? Always like an excuse to shoot my H&R ultra. It's a sweet shooting little rifle.

Rimfire is the key word, I don't care if its .17 or 32, although the last might be a little expensive to shoot.

Go to post your targets, get the target, fire ten rounds at whatever range you want anyway you want and tell us what you shot and how you shot it. Can't get simpler than that. No contest, no prizes, just chuckles and giggles.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast