Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ARs: Mil spec vs other?

Stock tubes have to be mil-spec for Army use, so that every stock in Army inventory will fit on every stock tube in Army inventory.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    5.56 does not get it's lethality from velocity. It gets it from bullet yaw and fragmentation. Velocity produces reliable fragmentation with FMJ ammo, but civilians have many other options for increased lethality. These include soft points, hollow points, and even frangible loads. I have a 14.7 w/ perm A1 FH, 3 16 inchers, a 20 inch A1, and a 24 inch 6.5 Grendal. The 14.7 is my favorite.

It wears a Trijicon RX06-10, not shown here.

And those rounds are THAT much more effective out of the longer barrel. Honestly, my 20" is not much longer then my SMLE No5 MkI "Jungle Carbine", or my Marlin 1894SS... both of which are considered to be very nice handling, and excellent pointers.

The min Barrel Length I would go to would be a 16" (I have a 16"), but if this AR was my only 5.56 gun... I would defiantly get a 20".

I can post comparison pics of rifle lengths if anyone is interested.

Oh, nice guns 'Dog. That A1 is fucking sick.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Yeah, you can get reliable fragmentation at lower velocities with $1.00+ per round ammo.

A 20" rifle with $.32/round M193 will reliably fragment out to almost 200 yards.

Heck, even steel cased soft points usually cost more than M193 and you sacrifice penetration and possibly some reliability.

A 20" barrel has a certain "economy of lethality" going for it that I appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by matshock View Post
    Yeah, you can get reliable fragmentation at lower velocities with $1.00+ per round ammo.

A 20" rifle with $.32/round M193 will reliably fragment out to almost 200 yards.

Heck, even steel cased soft points usually cost more than M193 and you sacrifice penetration and possibly some reliability.

A 20" barrel has a certain "economy of lethality" going for it that I appreciate.
    Maybe so, but Who here doesn't buy better quality ammo for home defense, than for range trips? It's no big deal to have a few mags full of dedicated self defense ammo, and do most of your shooting with the cheapest decent ammo you can find.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post

Oh, nice guns 'Dog. That A1 is fucking sick.
    Thanks, but if you look closely, that is an XM16E1. (Partial fence lower, 3-prong FH)

Well, to further confuse the issue. Army SF uses an 18" barrel in the SPR's with either a 75g or 77g round, can't remember specifics off the top of my head. And not to be out done, the SEALs supposedly have a 16" version as well. I think they claim 600yd effective range. I can't imagine either group would field it if it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Well, to further confuse the issue. Army SF uses an 18" barrel in the SPR's with either a 75g or 77g round, can't remember specifics off the top of my head. And not to be out done, the SEALs supposedly have a 16" version as well. I think they claim 600yd effective range. I can't imagine either group would field it if it didn't work.
    Yep. The Seal variant is the Recon rifle, or RECCE for short. They are built by crane arsenal and are primarily intended for use by spotters on sniper teams. They use a 16in barrel with a carbine length gas system.

The SPR is a dedicated sniper system and is optimized for use with a suppressor. However, both are highly specialized tools. Both the SEALS and SF use M4A1s with SOPMOD kits for the regular stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12