Thread: Got any Questions on Repairs?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Got any Questions on Repairs?

Well This is the forum to post them in. Ask away.

I do.............what's a good, cheap way to straighten-up a canted 24/47 front sight base?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
    I do.............what's a good, cheap way to straighten-up a canted 24/47 front sight base?
    Base or blade coming up off the base.? How canted or bent is it, got a photo of the situation? Attempting to bend back a front sight blade in a cold state could be risky depending on how far one had to bend it back. It might break off if bent in a cold condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Base or blade coming up off the base.? How canted or bent is it, got a photo of the situation? Attempting to bend back a front sight blade in a cold state could be risky depending on how far one had to bend it back. It might break off if bent in a cold condition.
    It's the base that's canted to the right. I drifted the barleycorn over to the left about as far as it could go and it shoots OK, but it looks defective and bothers me. So, are you saying it's soldered or something? I would think it's pinned-through into a groove at the barrel top, but I don't know.

Thanks for the reply Schuetz.

After looking at my own 24/47, the sleeve that forms the front sight base MAY be soldered on and I cannot see any pin(s). So, it you are willing to mess up the blueing, you may be able to heat it with a torch and straighten out the cant and re-solder. (Then the barrel and sight might need to be reblued to look good again) - This usually is NOT an easy job!

Otherwise, I think that it would require turning the barrel to receiver interface to get it straight:

This requires the right tools (barrel vice, proper Yugo Mauser wrench). Depending on whether it needs further tightening or loosening will determine what other work will be needed (could need some lathe work on the barrel to get the proper 'draw' (tightness)). Also, the head space could be affected so it would need to be re-checked afterward.

Best done by a competent gunsmith unless you have a LOT of experience doing this.

Ron

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

The base is soldered on. So trying to drive that around is not my ground. A picture from the bore end would say a lot.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Thanks for the comments RJ & alice. Sorry I didn't answer sooner....... I guess I passed-over this thread a few times.

After consideration of the problem and the cost & effort involved I'll leave it as-is. It shoots OK out to 300 yards and that'll be good enough for my needs.

Ok I've got one. I bought a 91/30 ufixem way back when and the front site post is broken off to just a nub, the globe is there just a 1/16" post. If I remember right I need to drill it out and use the next size up bit for the post. so what size bit? Or any other suggestions?

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Having similar problems to those mentioned in the Cylinder won't rotate Thread, but with a Cold lightning. Found a parts supplier @ http://www.coltparts.com/parts1.html.

Am looking at replacing the hand, and trying to tune from there...

Have managed with a Colt navy, BP, but they are a b*^$h to get right and would greatly appreciate any suggestions along this line.

This is quite a challenge for a parts changer as opposed to a real smith.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Garand clips won't stay in.

Haven't disassembled it to figure out WTH the problem is...

The little nub that holds the clips down doesn't stick out till I pull ALL the way back on the cocking handle. I get a couple bullets fired and the clip pops most of the way out.

Quick diagnosis anyone?

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Haven't disassembled it to figure out WTH the problem is...

The little nub that holds the clips down doesn't stick out till I pull ALL the way back on the cocking handle. I get a couple bullets fired and the clip pops most of the way out.

Quick diagnosis anyone?
    Sounds like a problem with the clip latch, the clip latch pin or the clip latch spring. That's where I'd start anyway.

Got a Mosin M44 that absolutely will not take stripper clips. Seems like you have to push waay too hard to get em to even start to load. I have disassembled it and bent the leaf spring to where its barely applying enough pressure to hold the rounds in and they still wont feed.

And ideas?