Thread: Opinions on Bersa?

Opinions on Bersa?

Hey what are your opinions on Bersa?

From what I hear so far, they aren't too well known, yet if someone does know about them they usually think they are great. Just curious on what you guys have to say about it.

I was planning on buying a Bersa Thunder 45 UC Pro (hard to find a pic to show how great this gun looks imo)

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/...ro-series.html

They're shit. It always chaps my balls to see someone buy a defensive handgun, knowing that they are buying it because their life may depend on it, then try to go cheap to save $150. Either save for another month or two, or put it on the credit card, but for God sakes don't skimp on quality. For polymer handguns, I recommend Glock, Springfield XD's, or FN's. HK's are nice too, but spendy.

care to explain why?

from my understanding they are cheaper because of being imported from south america and the currency difference.

plus my first choice was glock, then started to hear about bersa. when i went to the local shooting range that carries bersa the head ccw instructor/retired police officer actually recommended me the bersa over the glock as well...

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

I am sitting in my angry chair!

The metals used in South American guns are inferior to those used in American or European guns. Just because a guy teaches the CHL class and was a cop doesn't mean that he knows anything about guns. If he actually told you that the Bersa is superior to the Glock, he's an idiot.

I had a Bersa Thunder .380 a few years back. It was real particular about the mags and ammo it used. Lots of stove piping. Ended up selling it because I didn't trust it.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Not the best make in my opinion and generally overpriced considering the features. One guy I knew with the 45 had some real issues with it feeding.

I have 2 of the BT380s and a BT9mm High Capacity, along with a CZ, a Glock 23, a Browning Hi Power and a few others. The Bersas are not shit. The ones I have shoot very good and are as reliable as the others. Perhaps the Bersas some of the people who are making the negative comments owned were bad ones. Or perhaps those persons have never owned a Bersa or maybe even never handled or shot one. Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke14 View Post
    I have 2 of the BT380s and a BT9mm High Capacity, along with a CZ, a Glock 23, a Browning Hi Power and a few others. The Bersas are not shit. The ones I have shoot very good and are as reliable as the others. Perhaps the Bersas some of the people who are making the negative comments owned were bad ones. Or perhaps those persons have never owned a Bersa or maybe even never handled or shot one. Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Welcome to the board and thanks for your input.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Wife has one....

and it has always been 100 percent reliable. It is the single stack model. It was her first pistol buy. It was the only pistol she liked that she had the money for. It is not as accurate as my 3AT but at 380 range, it does the job.....chris3

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    The metals used in South American guns are inferior to those used in American or European guns. Just because a guy teaches the CHL class and was a cop doesn't mean that he knows anything about guns. If he actually told you that the Bersa is superior to the Glock, he's an idiot.
    idk man about the metals being inferior, im actually an Argentine and my grandfather has his military issued 9mm since he was over there and its never gave him problems at all. Plus not being biased but Argentina seems to be a well recommended gun manufacture in south america, possibly better than Brazil, yet we see the popularity and how many people swear how great Taurus are..

i know just because the guy teaches a safety course and was a cop doesnt mean shit about gun knowledge, but he's also one of the main people working at a shooting range and is a distributor of a large variety of firearms (especially pistols) so with that i grant should give him some knowledge in this field from having tons of experience handling and selling weapons. also, its not that he said it like blows glock out the water, but for what it is, its features, how accurate, reliable, and its relatively cheap price tag, that he was surprised I've made a great choice considering it since he personally would choose it over the glock at that price and many don't even know the bersa name.

i appreciate the input, just want something a little more solid to sway me away from a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by cciota View Post
    I had a Bersa Thunder .380 a few years back. It was real particular about the mags and ammo it used. Lots of stove piping. Ended up selling it because I didn't trust it.
    thanks for the input, never heard that before. did a quick look up and seemed like you said, either issues with the ammo or just a defect in the mag. although its seems to happen to only the 380, still gonna look more into that.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Not the best make in my opinion and generally overpriced considering the features. One guy I knew with the 45 had some real issues with it feeding.
    explain that please? i thought it was very well in its features, safety's, ambidextrous design, option to use double action, blah blah blah.

but yea was reading on the feeding issues, need to read how common that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke14 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    Welcome to the board and thanks for your input.
    what he said ^

but yea thanks. seems that this gun is either a hit or a miss, but i would think thats to be expected from any gun at that price range. its a good thing i wasnt and will not be planning to buy this used, so should have somewhere to bitch at if i end up getting a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    and it has always been 100 percent reliable. It is the single stack model. It was her first pistol buy. It was the only pistol she liked that she had the money for. It is not as accurate as my 3AT but at 380 range, it does the job.....chris3
    thanks, do you remember what were the other she compared it too?

also, still open to more opinions since going to be a few more months before i jump on a purchase. so if anyone has any other alternatives around the same price, please feel free to post them.
    Last edited by AiL45; 02-28-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AiL45 View Post
    also, still open to more opinions since going to be a few more months before i jump on a purchase. so if anyone has any other alternatives around the same price, please feel free to post them.
    I would depend on a surplus CZ-82 over a bersa for an under $300 gun. 9x18 and .380 are similar except 9x18 costs less than regular 9mm, and .380 costs more.

A Ruger 9mm can be had for around $300. I know a buddy who's selling a stainless P-95 locally for $325.

only looking into .45 subcompact's atm and for full sized I have a colt to use.
    Last edited by AiL45; 03-01-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AiL45 View Post
    only looking into .45 subcompact's atm and for full sized I have a colt to use.
    You ought to save up and get something quality.

This is probably the cheapest .45 compact I would gamble on. http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-CSP.aspx

thanks, will look into it.

off topic, but pantera ftmfw. rip dime

I had a .380 and it worked fine with the factory mag. It would jam with promags (most guns do). I am not a metallurgist so I am not qualified to say that the metal is any better or worse than any other pistols. The Springfield XDs are all made in Croatia. I wouldn't buy a car from Croatia let alone a gun. I liked the Bersa, other than the mag disconnect safety (the 9mm and .45s don't have it). People who have never had one are not usually the best judge of whether or not something is junk. If you like the features and the price, buy it. If it works for you, great! If it is a jam-o-matic hunk of junk then don't carry it. Sell it and get a better gun. You wouldn't really lose a lot for the knowledge you would gain. Sure there are always other options, but buy what YOU like.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

“It’s not the Gun in Gun Control that bothers me. It’s the Control" -Nimbly

"A cop is to heavy to carry in my pocket, that is why I carry a gun" -unknown

Ron Paul - 2012

have owned 6 still own 3. re the 380 and 32 acp, one of the best performance for the $ out there. but my experience has been limited to only 150+ pistols I have owned. never tried their 45.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    I had a .380 and it worked fine with the factory mag. It would jam with promags (most guns do). I am not a metallurgist so I am not qualified to say that the metal is any better or worse than any other pistols. The Springfield XDs are all made in Croatia. I wouldn't buy a car from Croatia let alone a gun. I liked the Bersa, other than the mag disconnect safety (the 9mm and .45s don't have it). People who have never had one are not usually the best judge of whether or not something is junk. If you like the features and the price, buy it. If it works for you, great! If it is a jam-o-matic hunk of junk then don't carry it. Sell it and get a better gun. You wouldn't really lose a lot for the knowledge you would gain. Sure there are always other options, but buy what YOU like.

As soon as they put the springfield name on them the price doubled.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    As soon as they put the springfield name on them the price doubled.

Thats just how it goes with European pistols. It wasn't long ago when almost the entire CZ product line was under $400. Word got around, and now they cost about the same as the other pistol brands.

Besides, the Croations developed the XD out of necesity during war time. Its meant for kicking ass, and generally it seems to do good.