Thread: How's This For a Business Idea

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

How's This For a Business Idea

I was thinking about how difficult it is for me to concealed carry while being on active duty. I mean, most of the time I leave the house, I have a pretty good chance of ending up on base for something, and we are not allowed to carry any kind of weapons on base (remember Ft Hood). So, anyway, I was thinking about this and then I thought how nice it would be if I could drop off my weapon just outside the gate and pick it up on the way out. Then I started to wonder if people would pay to store their weapons outside a military base. Obviously, it would not be practicle at all bases, but I am thinking it could be a possibility at some bases. I would think that, other than the liability insurance or bond that would be required, I would need a bunch of small safes to put the the weapons in.

I won't be doing this, but I did think it was an interesting idea. What do you guys think?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I would bet it would take a 4473/NIC's check at pick up in the BATF's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I would bet it would take a 4473/NIC's check at pick up in the BATF's mind.
    If the ownership doesn't change, there's no need for either.
    Just like sending a gun to a manufacturer for repair. They send it directly back to the owner without paper work.
    I can't think of any type of license needed other than a business license and a tax #.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

As I thought more about this, it would be a great addition to a gun store. The problems I see with positioning would be about the same. I am not sure that someone would come in just to store a weapon, but if they were coaxed in to see what new toys were available it might make a decent side business.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

You are clearly not a dishonest person.
    (you can take that as complement or criticism)

You would need some way to show the firearms have not been abused. So that some prick could not say "You damaged my one of a kind original whateverthefuck" and sue you for an inflated estimate.
    More importantly, such a business would attract people looking to ditch weapons. Whether because it's a murder weapon or because they are convicts and don't want to be caught with it, ect.
    I would not want to deal with that headache.
    This is just my opinion and it's entirely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidartha View Post
    You are clearly not a dishonest person.
    (you can take that as complement or criticism)

You would need some way to show the firearms have not been abused. So that some prick could not say "You damaged my one of a kind original whateverthefuck" and sue you for an inflated estimate.
    More importantly, such a business would attract people looking to ditch weapons. Whether because it's a murder weapon or because they are convicts and don't want to be caught with it, ect.
    I would not want to deal with that headache.
    Yeah, that would be a downside. I think I would have to have people show some form of identification as well as a concealed carry permit, and have both recorded for when the person shows up to pick up their weapon. Hadn't thought much about damaging a weapon because I would only want to do this for carry weapons. I would hope people aren't carrying their supper expensive weapons, but you never know.

I'll take the truthfull comment as a compliment.

NRA Endowment Member

If you simply allowed people to come in and lock their stuff up as they would a locker I think you'd be OK. If you took the firearm and locked it away in a safe for the person I'd think that might cause more issues with the BATF or open up other legal issues (such as claims for damage) you might not want to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    If you simply allowed people to come in and lock their stuff up as they would a locker I think you'd be OK. If you took the firearm and locked it away in a safe for the person I'd think that might cause more issues with the BATF or open up other legal issues (such as claims for damage) you might not want to deal with.
    Sort of like a Mail Boxes ETC set up where I never deal with the firearm, just rent a locker. Interesting.

NRA Endowment Member