Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Added a couple goodies to my Home Defense gun...

Added a couple goodies to my Home Defense gun...

Just wanted to share what I added to my home defense 12 guage...

My Mossberg 500A tactical came with a side saddle on the stock that holds 5.

I added:
    *a Truglo red/green dot optic (that works great)
    *2nd side saddle that holds 6
    *tri rail up front to house my Streamlight TLR-1
    *Sling mounts (took sling off for pics)

And of course it is loaded with Hornady TAP (For Personal Defense) 00Buck - holds 4 + 1 and 11 total in the saddles.

Here are a few pics I took this weekend:
    (Tells you how bored I was this weekend)

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Exclamation

You must be planning on a home invasion!

I am in the process of doing the same thing to one of my 870s....

Putting on all my mesa tac stuff this week I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You must be planning on a home invasion!
    Well, I would rather plan for it and it never happen...than the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    I am in the process of doing the same thing to one of my 870s....

Putting on all my mesa tac stuff this week I hope!
    Cool...post pics afterwards.

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    LOL...didn't know whether to compliment his gun or get the Bible and start thumping the Bible thumpers!

Nice shotgun. How do you like the 6 position stock? I have it on my 870 and love it,

No wonder P-man hasn't been around much lately. He's has serious competition!
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Quote Originally Posted by skatedcshoes View Post
    Nice shotgun. How do you like the 6 position stock? I have it on my 870 and love it,
    I would not own another shotgun or carbine without it....unless I was going to use it for a sniper rifle. I had one on my Ak and will put one on my new AK and love this one on my mossy.

Quote Originally Posted by cciota View Post
    No wonder P-man hasn't been around much lately. He's has serious competition!
    LOL...that's what everyone keeps saying. They say we must be long lost brothers or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    LOL...that's what everyone keeps saying. They say we must be long lost brothers or something.
    You do have to admit that there are some striking simularities.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

He has posted all but kookspiracy and tranny threads.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    Just wanted to share what I added to my home defense 12 guage...

My Mossberg 500A tactical came with a side saddle on the stock that holds 5.

I added:
    *a Truglo red/green dot optic (that works great)
    *2nd side saddle that holds 6
    *tri rail up front to house my Streamlight TLR-1
    *Sling mounts (took sling off for pics)

And of course it is loaded with Hornady TAP (For Personal Defense) 00Buck - holds 4 + 1 and 11 total in the saddles.

Okay, somebody has to ask. How much weight did you add to your gun with all that hardware and have you actually taken it outside and done some fast target acquisition drills with it.

Better yet have you patterned it at house defense ranges with that ammo. Just curious.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Okay, somebody has to ask. How much weight did you add to your gun with all that hardware and have you actually taken it outside and done some fast target acquisition drills with it.

Better yet have you patterned it at house defense ranges with that ammo. Just curious.
    Not too much wieght, nothing I can't handle. Here is a video of me shooting Hornady Tap Personal defense loads the other night at about 25 feet which is plenty of range for inside a house.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXNiaB9emFM

The HOrnady Tap patterns like the Federal 3" with flight control does. Here is a pic of regular 00buck and 00 with flight control. The difference is the federal is 1325 FPS and teh Hornady is 1625 FPS...ouch!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Your video is a lot like what I do except I lay the jugs out at various distances and angles from 7 yards to 30 yards to make me work harder to find and shoot them. Your target on the left is why I don't like my 3" Federal 00. But then I'm not using TAP or Flite Control shells just ordinary every day run of the mill buckshot. Just bought a case of Federal 2 3/4" 00 because it was on sale and I will have to try it out soon, it will be interesting to see if the lighter charge groups any better than the mag stuff.

I'm using a Mossberg 500 C, a Winchester 1200 and a Mossberg 9200 and surprisingly I am faster with the 2 pump guns than I am with the semi-auto. I don't know if its more time with the pump or just more confidence. The 9200 has never let me down yet so I think its just me.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Your video is a lot like what I do except I lay the jugs out at various distances and angles from 7 yards to 30 yards to make me work harder to find and shoot them. Your target on the left is why I don't like my 3" Federal 00. But then I'm not using TAP or Flite Control shells just ordinary every day run of the mill buckshot. Just bought a case of Federal 2 3/4" 00 because it was on sale and I will have to try it out soon, it will be interesting to see if the lighter charge groups any better than the mag stuff.

I'm using a Mossberg 500 C, a Winchester 1200 and a Mossberg 9200 and surprisingly I am faster with the 2 pump guns than I am with the semi-auto. I don't know if its more time with the pump or just more confidence. The 9200 has never let me down yet so I think its just me.
    It is not the lighter load that keeps the group tight, it is the flight control wad, which obviously Hornady uses even though they don't state it. I won't shoot anything for self defense but 00 with flight control.

I lik everything except the cheap a$$ reflex sight- it's a liability IMO. Have you tried sighting the irons with the flashlight? Mine stand out real nice with the corona back-lighting them.

Otherwise, get an Aimpoint micro or something you can leave on all the time and not break it if you drop it or fall on it.

Quote Originally Posted by matshock View Post
    I lik everything except the cheap a$$ reflex sight- it's a liability IMO. Have you tried sighting the irons with the flashlight? Mine stand out real nice with the corona back-lighting them.

Otherwise, get an Aimpoint micro or something you can leave on all the time and not break it if you drop it or fall on it.
    My vision up close is going away quickly, so I think iron rear sights would be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast