Thread: Compliance ??? for NHM 91

Compliance ??? for NHM 91

Just ordered one online. I do not care for the thumbhole stock and wood on the lower and upper handguard.

Will I be breaking the law by replacing the thumbhole stock and wood with a Norinco wood and pistol grip?

How many parts in the rifle must be US made and how I I tell if it's US made?

youll need 5-6 us parts depending on if the muzzle is threaded,ussually youd get a 3pc fcg,a pistol grip and handguards and buttstock.possibly the muzzle device or maybe even a piston

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Boy you said it right, how do you tell when a part is US made or not. Any wood part will not be marked. I have several SARs that supposedly have US fire control parts but none are marked.

The NHM-91 with an unthreaded barrel has 15 countable parts and according to 922(r) or Title 27 CFR 478.39 you cannot make a rifle using more than 10 imported parts, so you "must" replace 5 to be in compliance.

Now the problem is that with the Bush-hole stock found on Chinese and other post-Bush-ban AK variants, ATF decided in their infinite sillyness that Bush-hole stocks were considered pistol grip stocks, and depending on who you talked to, converting to standard pistol grip was nothing more than a modification and not "making" a new rifle. There is also a letter that said that changing the stock was "making" a new rifle.

Now, the Chinese AK variants had arguably the best fire control group of any imported AK, and replacing those parts for stupid compliance should be used as a last resort.

Therefore I always recommend replacing the stock set with one from Ironwood Designs which allows you a receipt in the billion to one chance AFT will ask if you "made" the rifle and prove parts compliance. The stock set is three parts. I next suggest that either an all USA mag is used, or at least one that has US followers and floor plates. Just remember to store the weapon with these mags, and never install an all imported mag or the universe will explode in a reverse big bang.

I personally can't understand, other than being protectionist, why ATF hasn't erased the parts count rule, since going in front of a judge with an imported trigger and US made trigger to try to show one is safer than the other would be the laughing stock of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Boy you said it right, how do you tell when a part is US made or not. Any wood part will not be marked. I have several SARs that supposedly have US fire control parts but none are marked.
    Same here, we buy based on faith. LOL

I have a Tapco Folding stock (1) and a Tapco pistol grip (2).

If I was to buy a Tapco Mag (3), would that be enough?

5 is all I need, right?

That would do it!

You got a really nice gun there. My first AK was a Nhm, I regret se/ling it to this day.

If I decide to replace the trigger, is that something I can do myself or does that require a gunsmith.

As long as you are careful not to lose that tiny disconnector spring, and can figure out how that shepherd hook works, you can do it yourself.

One other word of warning, examine the hammer and spring layout carefully. It is very easy to put the hammer in backward necessitating a second removal and installation. Don't ask why I know that it can be put in backwards.