Thread: Finally cleaned 10/22 ...

Finally cleaned 10/22 ...

It's been about 10 years since I bought it, used, and I've run about 5k (or so) rounds through it.
    It was starting to cycle poorly, so I finally took it apart and cleaned it up. Wish I'd taken a picture -- ten years' worth of dirt, lead, and powder residue is not a pretty thing. Speaks well for the design, though.
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes, I wish you'd of taken photos as well. It would be educational to see how much gunk was there and the weapon still ran.

Well, what does it look like now?
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

I have never taken my 10/22 apart either just clp & brush the bore and hit it with some air then a lite coat of oil ...when it finally stops working ill take some pics .

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by AK again View Post
    It's been about 10 years since I bought it, used, and I've run about 5k (or so) rounds through it.
    It was starting to cycle poorly, so I finally took it apart and cleaned it up. Wish I'd taken a picture -- ten years' worth of dirt, lead, and powder residue is not a pretty thing. Speaks well for the design, though.
    Sorry, I had to giggle, 10 years and only 5k rounds? You need to get that little boy out there and do some shooting, that little machine wasn't made for dust collecting. Run, don't walk, run to your nearest toy store and start buying some ammo man, times awastin' and you are just getting older while your poor old gun gathers cobwebs.

Get out there and shoot me lad, then shoot some more.......................then post some pictures in the 22 comp forum

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

The stock 10/22 trigger/mag release pack is a pain in the a$$- it's a good thing that it doesn't need to be cleaned very often- although I do like to run a bore snake through mine after range sessions.

Then douche the innards with cleaner followed by airhose. Makes the quarterly or semi-annual tear down a lot easier and less work. I have a .225" hole drilled in the back of the housing so when the trigger and hammer assembly is out I can run a rod or snake from the rear to the bore. When the barrel is installed in the stock you can't see the hole.

One of the reasons I dislike semi-auto's, to easy to run up thousands of rounds and not as easy to clean as my bolt action. Still can't beat the fun/accuracy factor so you does what you gotta does. But 10 years, Oy Vey!

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Then douche the innards with cleaner followed by airhose. Makes the quarterly or semi-annual tear down a lot easier and less work. I have a .225" hole drilled in the back of the housing so when the trigger and hammer assembly is out I can run a rod or snake from the rear to the bore. When the barrel is installed in the stock you can't see the hole.

One of the reasons I dislike semi-auto's, to easy to run up thousands of rounds and not as easy to clean as my bolt action. Still can't beat the fun/accuracy factor so you does what you gotta does. But 10 years, Oy Vey!
    Caution...the new trigger groups are plastic. DO NOT use carb cleaner or worse...brake cleaner. If you have an older one...no worries...:-)
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Back in the day (25 years ago or so) a friend and I would buy a brick of 22's on Thursday then shoot it up Fri-Sun. We did this weeks on end for years. I must of tore apart my Marlin Mod 60 a hundred times and those trigger groups are tough to work on My friend had an old savage we rebuilt several times.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Caution...the new trigger groups are plastic. DO NOT use carb cleaner or worse...brake cleaner. If you have an older one...no worries...:-)
    I bought an older one on purpose.

And thanks OG- next time I'll do that!

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Original trigger was so bad it took 3 mad men and a crazy camel to make that SOB go bang. Put in an after market trigger and its oh so very nice. You have seen some of the groups I have shot with that 10/22. I was using contact cleaner because I had so much of it left over from my working days but now that it is gone I am using carburetor cleaner, blow it out right away and a little gun oil to slick up the insides and I'm good to go for another 2 or 3 or 4 months. My new 10/22 carbine has the plastic parts, no thoughts of updating it because the factory trigger is pretty decent. That gets sprayed with WD-40 till running clean, air hose and again a little squirt of whatever gun oil I'm using that day. It's the only gun I don't use carburetor cleaner on.

THUCYDIDES.

Sorry, I had to giggle, 10 years and only 5k rounds?
    Well ... not exactly. I just try to err on the side of moderation when assessing round counts. For example, most of the AKs I've owned have only had a box through them ...
    I used to burn a brick every weekend or so for the two years that I spent in NE Oregon. It's been fired a lot. And it had been fired a lot before I bought it.

The whole thing was amazingly dirty. AMAZINGLY. I'd never taken one apart before, either, so I was a little hesitant at first. It's a pretty straightforward design though. (I'd been expecting to find out it was worse than taking apart a Ruger Mk I ...) The trigger pack looked like it had been dipped in a lead/powder residue/gunk slurry, several times.
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

I've had my 10/22 since I was in middle school. Must have put atleast a brick or two through it every month until I graduated from high school. It was my first firearm, and I learned to take it apart completely when I first got it. I cleaned it after every time I used it back then. Now I'm lazy, and only clean it when it starts running sluggish. Still works perfectly as long as I load the magazines right.

Original trigger was so bad it took 3 mad men and a crazy camel to make that SOB go bang. Put in an after market trigger and its oh so very nice. You have seen some of the groups I have shot with that 10/22. I was using contact cleaner because I had so much of it left over from my working days but now that it is gone I am using carburetor cleaner, blow it out right away and a little gun oil to slick up the insides and I'm good to go for another 2 or 3 or 4 months. My new 10/22 carbine has the plastic parts, no thoughts of updating it because the factory trigger is pretty decent. That gets sprayed with WD-40 till running clean, air hose and again a little squirt of whatever gun oil I'm using that day. It's the only gun I don't use carburetor cleaner on.
    Which trigger did you install OG? And I use carb cleaner on everything thats not plastic also. Works great!
    Face your fear, accept your war.

swampdragon

Question

How "new" is your new 10/22?
    Which one did you get?
    I've been looking at this one for a while.
    Good to hear you're not having any probs with the plastic parts...

I honestly don't know what I put in except it cost more than half as much as the original rifle did. I have long since discarded the old trigger parts and the paperwork from the drop in.

My new one isn't that new, I bought it second hand about 3 years ago but according to the S/N it was made in 93 so its at least 17 years old or better. What was done to it before I got it I don't know but it has had a lot of rounds through it.

THUCYDIDES.