Thread: SAR>>WSAR?

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

SAR>>WSAR?

Hey Guys let's beat a dead horse for a minute...What is the difference in the current WASR and my old SAR? Kid at work is getting a WSAR and I can't remember what it is. I thought it was that the WASR only held a 10 round mag w/o mods but he said his will come w/ a 30 rounder. Thanks!

WASR's are imported as single stacks and then opened up to accept double stack mags. SAR's came in as double stack AKM type rifles. Some WASR's are left in OEM SS configuration but most are converted.

Visually WASR's do not have mag dimples, SAR's have dimples.

Most WASR's have bayo lugs and threaded barrels (some have the bayo lug ground and the muzzle nut welded on), SAR's came in with plain unthreaded barrels.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

There are two or more versions that you can find.One being a double stack version the other a single stack.

My uncle purchased one for his son,and we did a side by side shoot with his Hungarian,my Polish and the WASR.Function and accuracy was the same.Cosmetically the WASR is rough.

Came with Tapco FCG,piston,and pistol grip and crappy thumbhole stock.Changed it out with a refinished Romanian stock and handguards a US laminate pistol grip and added a US slant brake.

Looks much better now.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

the WASR comes in the country as a single stack gun, and then the CAI monkeys open up the mag well and weld in steel plates to act in place of the receiver dimples.

The SAR was more of a true AKM. The WASR was always meant civvy export.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Did someone say dimples?
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

It takes a lot to make a WASR look as good as this SAR-1...

Cheers! M2

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Wasn't there a kid that got banned from the old site who went by Madmax? Or am I getting him confused with someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    the WASR comes in the country as a single stack gun, and then the CAI monkeys open up the mag well and weld in steel plates to act in place of the receiver dimples.

The SAR was more of a true AKM. The WASR was always meant civvy export.
    I'm quite sure the welded in mag supports are done by the Romanians as they are present in the single stack rifles.

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

Thanks Guys...I thought it wassomething like that

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I'm quite sure the welded in mag supports are done by the Romanians as they are present in the single stack rifles.
    I didn't know that. Thanks.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by 6gunsal View Post
    Wasn't there a kid that got banned from the old site who went by Madmax? Or am I getting him confused with someone else?
    Dunno who he was, but I sure as hell ain't no "kid!"

In the old forum there were some how should I say this uh undesireable types I even left for a while so he didnt mean any thing IM sure. but theres still swamp critters every once in a while. any way thats a fine looking side folder.

SARS.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
    Dunno who he was, but I sure as hell ain't no "kid!"
    Well this was a literal kid posing as an adult, whatever his name was. It was kinda funny when it all came out. He had been passing out lots of free wisdom, and some people were eating up, not realizing it was all bullshit some 13 y.o. was pulling out of his arse.
    Sorry for the tangent. Nice sar btw max. I agree, you'd be hard pressed to make a WASR that pretty without a major overhaul.

Well, I may act like I'm 13 years old some days; but it's been 35 years since I was that old!

But no harm, no foul; I've seen a lot of buffoonery on forums and can easily understand why there was some concern.

As for that SAR-1, I just picked it up at a gun show a week ago. The seller was originally asking $925 for it but we (ironically, my 13-yr-old son and I) walked out the door with it for $525. Honestly, I have been wary of Romanian AKs (my only one prior to that was my Draco-C) but I have to admit I fell in love with this one on sight and was happy I could get the price down to a reasonable level. We actually ended up flipping a coin for the last $25 of the price.

Now I have to figure out if I want to thread the end of the barrel or not...

Cheers! M2

Mad Max, I would change the FCG out for a TAPCO unit if it hasn't been done already.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

My SARs (minus the Mosin Nagant 91/30):