Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Question

This may help a little

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

so, I notice 2 pins... Which one is the one I need to back out? Again, thanx for the info! I hope I can contribute to the forum like this some day...

Quote Originally Posted by Antonrx View Post
    so, I notice 2 pins... Which one is the one I need to back out? Again, thanx for the info! I hope I can contribute to the forum like this some day...
    The front pin is the one to remove.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonrx View Post
    Don't feel bad about asking questions. We were all new to this at one time. Also remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask and then post that you damaged something or found out after spending $1000 that the rifle was really worth only $500!!!

Hey guys.. Had some time to play with the pin and I've got some questions.. It looks like there is a spring loaded pin already inserted it's just not poling out? Plus I've tried hitting the retaining pin out with no luck(I'm actually bending/breaking punches)... What to do? Do I even need to get a new pin or can I just get this one to come out?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    OK, fun time.

First the obvious question, did you remove the slant brake? Not going back to my other posts, it is left hand thread, so you would take it off "backwards".

Now the fun part. Try soaking the pin with a penetrating oil. Then try punching the front cross pin out from the other direction. I have seen on rare occasions pins that were very slightly tapered and were directional.

To start the pin moving, I use a pointed punch just to break it loose. Once it is broken loose then you can use a pin punch to drive the pin all the way out.

The fun part comes when you have the pin out and find that the detent pin is not a standard detent pin but one driven in to plug the hole. I had one Norinco that I had to drill a tiny hole in the back of the front sight, into the detent pin hole, and then punch the pin out from the back. Before trying that, after you have the cross pin out, if the detent pin is still stuck, soak it with a penetrating oil and let it sit a while.

Another potential way to get a stuck detent pin out is after soaking it with the cross pin out, heat up the front sight block. After it is hot, tap it with a hammer on the back to try to shake the detent pin loose. Of course, a few dozen rounds down the tube could warm it up and shake it enough to cause the pin to pop out. You will not hurt anything by firing the rifle with only one cross pin holding the front sight in place.

Yes, sometimes you just have to forget about conventional methods when trying to undo Bush the First stupidity.

Good luck!

I have the break off and I've tried penetrating oil... Check this photo out to see what I'm talking about... You can push the pin in a bit and feel that it's spring loaded. Maybe the it was ground down and left in? Was this part of the Bush the 1st treatment? Anyway, check out the photo and see what I'm talking about... As far as the retaining pin, I'll try heating it up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Only experience I've had was with a pre ban. I tried the oil and working with it but wouldn't budge. I took it to a smith down the road who did similar as nut was saying. He was able to get it out and we found the pin was bent. Probably from previous owner trying to get the brake off the wrong way. He made a new pin hot blued it and got it working real good again. Only wanted ten bucks but I gave him twenty for the lesson.
    It's been a while and memory is foggy but I seem to recall once he had the cross pin out there was enough room to get at the pin. I Think that's what nut is saying but describing it and the tool I can't really help much.
    Could be it was bent on purpose for import but hard to say really hopefully it's just stuck with grit and such
    It's well worth doing so just take your time and keep asking you'll get it
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I ran into this with a rusted Romy kit.
    I used a bent awl (bent close to the sharp end) and put it in where the front pin was. I then tapped the awl and the pin came out without too much effort.
    If your pin is just stuck, this may work for you.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12