Thread: Polish Tantal question

Polish Tantal question

I have 2 questions.

Do Polish Tantals have a firing pin spring. A friend of mine has one and it leaves a heck of a dimple on cases as they are loaded.

Also we are trying to figure out why it fires so erratically. Some times it will not eject. Sometimes it will partially eject. Sometimes it will eject but not strip off the next round. Sometimes it will fire and chamber the next round.

I suspect ammo is the source of the firing problem. He is using Tula. I am going to let him have some Bulgarian that I have and see if that makes a difference.

What do you guys think. Should it have a firing pin spring. (his doesn't right now) If it should have one then where could he get one or what would suffice for one.

Could the ammo be causing the chambering/extraction problem?

Have you cleaned the bolt thoroughly? That might be a big help, I've fixed a couple of CAI AK's for friends by simply doing that.

Yea we stripped it down, cleaned it thoroughly and lubed it with Rem Oil. When we took it outside to shoot I payed particular attention to the rounds fired and rounds chambered but unfired. That's when I noticed the dimples in the unfired primers. When you chamber a round (without firing) and eject it for inspection, there is a deep dimple in the primer. Kinda like on AR's with the free floating firing pin only much worse. That's what got me to thinking that i might have had a firing pin spring.

Hi
    In such a case I would only run mil surplus ammo in it as surplus will have hardened primers. Reloads or non-military rounds may not and may give trouble.

The dimples are normal on AKM's, however did you take the firing pin out and clean it? Does it move freely?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Hi
    In such a case I would only run mil surplus ammo in it as surplus will have hardened primers. Reloads or non-military rounds may not and may give trouble.
    Yea I have run into that problem with AR's and commercial ammo going off when a round is chambered. You are correct about the harder primers. That is one of the reasons I plan on giving him some of my Bulgarian. The Tula was obviously commercial in the 20 rnd boxes.

BTW who made it?

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    The dimples are normal on AKM's, however did you take the firing pin out and clean it? Does it move freely?
    Yea we took it out and cleaned it and the rest of the parts as well as it has ever been cleaned with Chemtool (carburetor cleaner) and brushes. Actually when I took the bolt from the carrier that's when the little pin came out of the bolt and allowed the firing pin to come out. I thought that maybe a firing pin spring might have come out (if it ever had one) That's why I ask about the firing pin spring. The guy says that it has been dimpling the primers since he owned it though. We thought that if it had a firing pin spring then the previous owner might have lost it. After we cleaned it we did notice that the firing pin did protrude a little further out of the hole. Firing pin moves freely

It definitely leaves a good dimple in the unfired rounds though. So much so that it makes you wonder what kept it from going off. Sometimes the rounds with the dimples in the primers would fail to fire making us wonder if the dimple was interfering with it's ability to hit it hard and deep enough. The hammer strikes with sufficient force to set the rounds off by the way.

It's A Century build I think

Thanks for the rapid responses
    Last edited by jojo; 03-13-2011 at 08:39 PM.

on the eratic ejection check and clean the gas port.

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    on the eratic ejection check and clean the gas port.
    I took the little tube that came with the can and stuck it up in there. There was a pretty good flow coming out of the barrel but I will take my little torch cleaning duhicky with me and see if there is any carbon built up in there. Thanks
    Last edited by jojo; 03-13-2011 at 09:54 PM.

RAN SOME BULGARIAN THRU IT AND IT NEVER HICCUPED AGAIN

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Bulgarian 545 is tops IMO.

It is definitely hotter than that Tula my friend had. I was glad to see it working properly for him. It was an all matching kit and was in excellent condition. We both were shocked that it was a s simple as changing ammo.

romak10/63UF
    I shot some winchester 7.62x39 fmj white box i got from walmart... out of my old romanian sar 1 for some reason the primers on the ammo burnt all the way threw to the camber of the powder inside the brass caseing i didnt notice it until i finished a 30 round mag... i took the cases to my local gun smith an he said that winchester loads 7.62x39mm hot..... I think they have weak primers.. maybe im wrong...

There are hardened primers and softer commerical primers, the Winchester loading could of used the softer commerical primers.

I have to say that I contribute very little "useful" information to the site even though I have been a member since around 2001 but when I get stumped I always try to search out the cure on here. There has always been a treasure trove of information on here.

In the old days I used to stay in the BIY forum.

Again guys thanks for all of the suggestions.