Thread: question on Russian American Armory SAIGA 308

question on Russian American Armory SAIGA 308

Russian American Armory SAIGA 308.

What is the going price on these? Its this or a SAIGA 12 ga And i am unsure what to get. The good the bad is it a good distance shooter? thanks

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

$529.00 @ Atlantic Firearms, according to their website. Don't know if they are actually in stock though?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The place im looking at has them in stock for $449.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I checked a couple of other places and they were out of stock. If they have them in stock $449 is probably a good deal.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

romak10/63UF
    If you are hell bent on getting a Saiga 308 , why not get a CETME SPORTER ? you cant go wrong with a proven battle rifle in 308 aka 7.62x51 nato ... You can find a nice CETME on gunbroker.com

jg sales have cetmes for 499$

The latest CETME's are pretty decent rifles, I would agree the cheap mags ($3) would make it a better deal all the way around, although there's nothing wrong with the Saiga plus it's easier to scope. Mags are going to set you back so if you're the type who needs 10 mags you might want to look at the CETME, if you can live with 2 or 3 the Saiga should work as well.

Doing some research and there seems to be a problem putting a scope mount on the cetme. I do want to put a scope on it so the cetme might be out. The sad thing is that I
    was headed to prescott in a couple of weeks for my kids soccer tournment and could kill 2 birds 1 stone. And now I am thinking of just building an ar10.

romak10/63UF
    Its not hard to put a scope on a cetme i belive they are called hk91 claw mount scope rails that clamp to the top of the reciver... please google it " claw mount for hk91 " or claw mount for cetme " plus if you wanted you could find an orignal hk91 retractable folding stock that do work on the cetmes..... warning these stocks along can cost as much as the gun it self. i have seen them from 100 dollar all the way to 300 dollars.

all 308s iv seen are 500+,iv had a few cetmes and they are just too big for me,my 308 is a 16"er and is just a packable gun,i love it,cetme mounts are 100+.the mag situation is a legitimate concern,i only have a 8 rder and a surefire 25. i plan on getting a couple of 20 rdess an ill feel adequately prepared

I'm not sure what you want the gun for, but I have both a Cetme (a good one) and 16" converted Saiga 308. The Cetme is much heavier, awkward to charge or clear a malfunction with, and hard to scope. The Claw mount does NOT hold zero on the stamped version, and must be fitted on the cast version. It is however, more accurate than the Saiga, has cheap mags, and is a solid reliable rifle.

If you are going to do a pistol grip conversion on the Saiga, as well as add some other military trimmings, and want a good number of mags, the Saiga will end up costing a lot more.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have a Saiga 308 that I did the pistol grip conversion on and installed a Power Custom/Red Star fcg in. It is an outstanding shooter - this is a 16" version. It will give 1.5", 100 yard groups with handloads easily. I think I could get it to MOA with some load work.

As you can see, I installed a crapco buttstock and SAW grip. I like the way it feels when mounted (no jokes you pervs) and being adjustable is very handy...

I have fbmg mags but Surefire makes 20 and 30 rounders. They are not cheap though...

I was just looking at the CETME's that SOG is advertising - black stocks, US receivers and barrels...$447.95 - showing mags for $10 - but as mentioned, there are cheaper sources for mags.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~