Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Alot Swampy

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Thanks Alot Swampy

I have a Glock 19. It fits my hand well and I love the way it shoots. The one thing I am not sure about is that it does not have a safety, at least not one that you turn on and off.

Here is where Swampy comes in. I had not thought much about the safety until Swampy posted that video of the DEA guy shooting himself in the foot (literally and figuritively). I mean, I know how the weapon works and why how it is prevented from firing if you drop it, but I had not thought about how nice a safety that you have to turn off is until I watched that video.

Now I am thinking about selling my Glock and buying another weapon, probably a SIG. I like the P229 and I am also looking at the P250. The cool thing about the P250 is you can get that set of 2 for about $700, give or take.

I know there is a heated debate about the hole kaboom thing, but I have not seen anything to make me too worried about that. This safety thing is another matter. What do you guys think?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Um, my Sig P220 has no safety either... Just a de-cocker and a long trigger pull for that first round.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Um, my Sig P220 has no safety either... Just a de-cocker and a long trigger pull for that first round.
    That decocker would make me feel better than nothing, which is sort of what you have with the Glock. Just don't touch the trigger and it won't fire. It sounded good when I bought it, not I am just thinking about it a little differently.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

If you don't cover yo'self dat Glock be da shitz. Jes gots to be mo' professional an' shit.

Seriously, just don't cover yourself or anything you don't want shot.

Now upgrade to a fo'tay.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I don't think the safety is a necessity. There is a reason we all make fun of that DEA guy. Its because he is an idiot and he should have known how to handle the weapon in such a way as to not blow a hole in himself.

I like my springfield XDs for self-defense, but I also have a CZ-75b (cold war special edition) and really like it a lot. A cz-75b or one of the newer variants is what I would go with if I wanted to only have one self defense pistol and wanted it to have a manual safety. That or a 1911. Or a hi-power.

But my suggestion would be practice with the Glock and train yourself not to have a neglectful discharge.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 03-15-2011 at 11:06 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

That DEA guy shot himself because of his own stupidity, and no manual safety would have prevented that.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    yeah, ditto that for the P229.

and i'm with FunkyPertwee, get used to the Glock and become one with it. i have yet to shoot myself in the foot with mine.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    yeah, ditto that for the P229.

and i'm with FunkyPertwee, get used to the Glock and become one with it. i have yet to shoot myself in the foot with mine.
    I appreciate the vote of confidence from both of you.

Actually, what you say does make a lot of sense. I try to be very consience of where my finger is, even when I use a weapon with a manual safety. I do have to admit to not keeping a round in the chamber except when I am ready to fire because of the way the Glock functions. I do this because, while I try to be safe, I don't trust myself to not make a mistake.

NRA Endowment Member

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

I have owned, still owned, and carried REVOLVERS professionally. Not a single one of them had a SAFETY!

If you don't want it to go BOOOOOM, don't put your finger on the trigger!
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

Here's my dos centavos. I love Glocks but they don't seem to work for me..that being said..they come w/ a 5 pound trigger..some people lighten them to 3. For a carry gun I would want the trigger heavier. Glock makes a new york trigger..8 pounds or a new york plus..12 pounds. Now 12 pounds has always been pretty standard for revolvers and usually people don't have AD with them. You might want to try a stiffer trigger if you have concerns and still like the Glock. You could always switch back and forth for competitions..it involves a spring and trigger bar I think...but I would hate carrying a 3 or 5 pound trigger for self defense w/o a safety.. Good Luck!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    That DEA guy shot himself because of his own stupidity, and no manual safety would have prevented that.

+1

What makes you think the doofus would have had the safety on when he pulled the trigger on a gun he thought was empty???

Why pull the trigger on a gun in a room full of kids even if it does have a safety, what if the safety fails???

The guy was a dumbass pure and simple and it's not the Glock's fault he did something stupid with it.

romak10/63UF
    Dont be scared ! its a glock it has a safty ... make sure you know what you are gonna shoot before you pull that trigger... Let me tell you something about my Glocks i have a glock 17 2nd gen . It has a crimsion trace lazer it has a 3.5 trigger pull an most of all it has a EFK duel action recoil spring... this srping along is the best part on the hole gun period... My wife shoots groups of less than 1.5 inches at 50 yards yes !!!!! 50 yards Due to this new recoil spring...

I personally own what i call my bed side buddy dont laugh ! Its my glock 21 yes a 45 acp as well as every one who owns a glock 45 the recoil is very punishing... when i installed my efk duel action recoil spring i felt recoil drop by at least 35% at 50 yards i was able to hit my target every time 1 inch group dead center.

Just my 2 cents on glocks..

If you feel that the glock is too dangerous to use as a carry firearm, then I would suggest not owning a gun at all.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I have a Glock 19. It fits my hand well and I love the way it shoots. The one thing I am not sure about is that it does not have a safety, at least not one that you turn on and off.

Here is where Swampy comes in. I had not thought much about the safety until Swampy posted that video of the DEA guy shooting himself in the foot (literally and figuritively). I mean, I know how the weapon works and why how it is prevented from firing if you drop it, but I had not thought about how nice a safety that you have to turn off is until I watched that video.

Now I am thinking about selling my Glock and buying another weapon, probably a SIG. I like the P229 and I am also looking at the P250. The cool thing about the P250 is you can get that set of 2 for about $700, give or take.

I know there is a heated debate about the hole kaboom thing, but I have not seen anything to make me too worried about that. This safety thing is another matter. What do you guys think?
    You're welcome?

Honestly though, I don't think the Glock itself was the problem either.
    I think the DEA guy was just stupid.

Now me personally, I don't care for Glocks at all.
    They fit my hand really weird and I find the trigger to be irritatingly funky.
    So I don't own one.

But, the safety itself, or lack of one, isn't the issue for me personally with the Glock.
    Although my own pistol has a safety/decocker all in one and I like it a lot.

The guy broke some basic safety rules (a few IMO) it was that in turn that caused the ND.
    Last edited by mriddick; 03-16-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post

Big mistake to get rid of the Glock. Revolvers don't have a safety to disengage. You don't see revolver owners having angst about "Oh I need to get a 1911 cause I might shoot myself in da foot"! Wish I could find the video footage of a Jewelery store owner getting the drop on a robber only to get shot because he forgot to take the safety off! That one makes a great impression in favor of a Glock or Revolver. The occasional gun handler is vulnerable to forgetting how to operate little things like a manual safety when the chips are down.

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    If you feel that the glock is too dangerous to use as a carry firearm, then I would suggest not owning a gun at all.
    Didn't say I thought it was too dangerous. I am just having second thoughts about how the Glock works. There have been some good points brought up, mostly about revolvers and general safety practices. As I said, I keep the chamber empty, sort of like keeping one round out of a revolver to allow hammer somewhere to rest that is not on a loaded round. Some people might not do that, but I don't mind. I think I will keep the Glock. Thanks everyone for the input.

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Here's the deal. Regardless of what myself or others think if you don't feel comfortable with the Glock, get something you do feel comfortable with. The whole idea is to get the firearm that best suits YOUR needs, learn it's proper operation and become as proficient in it's use as you are able.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I personally bought it for a carry weapon because of the lack of an external safety.

There have been many times shootting skeet I go to pull the trigger and the damn safety is on. I wouldn't want that to happen if I needed to use the weapon in a defensive form.

I have no worries about accidentlly pulling the trigger.

you could always carry israeli

full mag, mag in piece, empty chamber

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast