Thread: Looking for info on this sported Arisaka 99 recently inherited

Looking for info on this sported Arisaka 99 recently inherited

Hi. First time here. You probably heard this before, I just inherited a Arisaka 99.
    It has been sported and probably has now real market value. I want to know more about it and possibly repair it.
    The firing pin is broken near the back end where the trigger holds it and the safety is attached.
    It still has the chrysanthemum stamped on the barrel. Until I took a very close-up picture I did not notice that it had something stamped over it.
    I made a copy of http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html and I still have some question.

I read that the type 99 made late in the war were crap and inferior. Is this one of them?
    I'm confused about the serial number stamped on the side. 5888 with a NAGOYA Arsenal stamp.

I have several boxes of ammo and a reload tool set for it also.
    I'll have more question later and photos.
    Here are some photos

Any input about this gun is welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MR_David; 03-18-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Your rifle

I can't see a series mark to the left of the serial number, if this be true then it is what is called a "no" series meaning that it was the first run of 99 at Nagoya Arsenal made in about 1940. The little hack mark on the mum was done to deface it but the one doing it did not have the heart to really butcher it. You have a very nice hunting rifle and I would leave it just the way I got it. I beleive you said your Dad did the work so even more reason the cherish it. The bolt handle was done excently as is also the front ramp sight. The rear receiver sight is also one of the best sights for this rifle. Stock looks good and I would do nothing buy buy a firing pin and go to shooting. Its a sick myth about the late Japanese rifles being junk. I have yet to find one that was not nicely machined where it really made a difference - where the sights sit and the barrel cone. Rough or smooth turning on the barrel makes no difference. I would spend my time reading and learing about the rifle of Japan that your loved one faced and leave this one as is and go find and buy a complete rifle to go with it. riceone

Thank you very much for the info. Sorry the gun looks dusty. I brought it home wrapped up in an old blanket. I'm not sure were my dad got the gun.He and his dad where avid dear hunters. My grandfather was a US Army Doctor. He may have got it from him or may have bought it as is. He also had a Springfield 30-06 with a scope that is a really nice gun.

There is a tiny mark next to the arsenal stamp and I thought it was a scratch. I'll try to get a better picture of it.

I have another question.
    Is the small metal rod under the firing pin spring typical or was that added to increase the compression on the spring?
    Last edited by MR_David; 03-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Piece of Metal

Could have been added for compression or spring could be too short. If you have the correct spring you will not need that. I would get a spring and firing pin and you are ready to go. I wish I had a rifle my Daddy had hunted with.

roy

Thanks again . I thought that piece was kind of odd.
    I have a some more question but the wife just got home and it's time to go get some dinner

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Can't say much more then Rice did. Other then the late war rifles i would not hesitate to shoot. Because i have shot them.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

This is another concern.
    The area circled in the 2 attached photos,
    Is that normal and should I be concerned or not

I thought this was a scratch. It is amazing the clarity of a digital camera's auto focus held less than 1 inch from the subject can be. Well 1 out of 5 tries.
    That is definetly not a scratch. Maybe you can translate that for me.
    I didn't find that on the series marking list

Would it be a 10 and a 2 ?
    Last edited by MR_David; 03-19-2011 at 10:48 AM.

It is the arsenal symbol for Department of Control (chief inspector) Nagoya Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by MR_David View Post
    This is another concern.
    The area circled in the 2 attached photos,
    Is that normal and should I be concerned or not

Looks to be excess metal that should have been remved.Othen a cosmetic issue i think your fine as long as it don't interfere with the bolt operation.

Safety shoulder messed up

Someone has put a blob of web where the safety rotates the firing pin over on the shoulder when on safe. With the weld there you can't put the rifle on safety. If you try to remove the blob you will have to be extra carefull to keep the shoulder you leave "perfectly, I mean perfectly" in line with the rear lip of the trigger sear or you still won't be able to put it on safety. If is further forward than the rear of the sear you can put it on safety but you "won't" be abel to take it off. If in the oposite direction you "can't put" it on. A good machinest could take the blob off in a lathe. Or if you are really good with a dremel you could. I have run into this problem installing Timney triggers. roy

Thanks that explains a lot.
    When I first got the gun I tried to figure out how to set the safety. When I turn the saftey nob firing pin rotated out of the cocked position and then the safty knob was locked. I could not turn it back. Then I figured out how to remove the safety knob and disassemble the bolt. Even with the spring and pin and the bolt in the gun I could not turn the safety knob in to the grove for the pin on the safety knob handle.
    Do you have any idea why anyone would add that extra metal there?

My Dad told me awhile back that the bolt to his Remington 03-A3 30-06 was in a lock box hidden else where from the gun. but the Arisaka was stored in his gun cabinet with the bolt in it. Now I know why. If some one stole it maybe he would shoot him self with it.

I think I understand but does anyone have a good picture of what it is supposed to look like.

Another question - Off topic - I spend a lot of time on plumbingforums.com answering plumbing question because that is what I know. Do you get a lot of what I call 1 post wonders that ask a question, I spend my time answering it but then you never hear back from them. Did I help them or are they just rude and never say thank you.

They have some really funny smilies here. Would almost be affraid to use them and get banned

First off, nice T99! I have a soft spot for the old sporters (as opposed to taking an unmodified milsurp and sporterizing it today). I need to find a sporterized T38 for the collection.

Second, a couple of belated "Welcome!"s to you and riceone. riceone has gooood info.

Third, yeah we get our share of "one hit wonders". Some folks don't realize we aren't mind readers and others are just knotheads.

Feel free to use the smilies. They get bored if they don't get used and bored smilies are the devil's playground...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Sorry i didn't realize it was weld. Nor did i consider the operation of the safety. But that is why Roy is here. This is a late war 99 pic.

And this is early war.

Last edited by aliceinchains; 03-21-2011 at 03:34 PM.

I have been having a lot of computer crashes lately.
    Several times while trying to reply to post here.
    Let's hope I fixed it. Well at least before I finish this post.
    Last Monday I stopped at a local gun shop and they had 7 or 8 Arisaka 99.
    I checked them out and confirmed what you discribed.
    I then came home and saw what you had just posted.
    Thanks for the pictures.
    Steve at Southern California Gun was very helpful. He also told me that you can resize 30-06 ammo cases to 7.7 Jap for reloading. Is that true?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR_David View Post
    I have been having a lot of computer crashes lately.
    Several times while trying to reply to post here.
    Let's hope I fixed it. Well at least before I finish this post.
    Last Monday I stopped at a local gun shop and they had 7 or 8 Arisaka 99.
    I checked them out and confirmed what you discribed.
    I then came home and saw what you had just posted.
    Thanks for the pictures.
    Steve at Southern California Gun was very helpful. He also told me that you can resize 30-06 ammo cases to 7.7 Jap for reloading. Is that true?
    Yes it is possible to resize 06 cases to make 7.7. I have not done it but had a buddy that did this many years ago.

The 7.7 x 58mm Japanese enjoyed mild popularity among American hunters after World War II, when surplus military rifles were imported to the U.S. The cartridge was adopted by the Japanese military in 1939 in the Model99 Arisaka rifle as a replacement for the older 6.5mm cartridge but both remained in service during World War II. Norma ammunition loaded with soft nose bullets is presently available

Some handloaders form 7.7 cases from .30-06 cases, but since the latter has a slightly smaller base diameter the best bet is to buy Norma ammunition and reload those cases. Ballistically, the 7.7 falls between the .300 Savage and .308 Winchester. Bullets of .311" diameter (same as the .303 British) are available from Hornady, Sierra, and Speer. A 150 grain spitzer pushed to 2500 fps with H414, H335, or H4895 is a good choice for deer size game at close to medium ranges.

Source: Hodgdon Data Manual 26th Edition

Yes i would recommend 30-06 brass only. But it can tend to swell at the base after firing. Which you can apply a small strip of masking tape around the base of the cartridge before firing to help keep it from expanding.

Some people have used 8mm mauser but the neck is shorter and i have heard it can cause throat errosion.

Not trying to hijack your thread but I have an opportunity to pick up an Arisaka 7.7 that has been sporterized but still has the Chrysanthemum on the receiver, it looks to be in good shape, with a shiny bore. It is tough to tell how prominent the rifling should be, it is there but seems to be worn..\. They guy wants 150 for it and I am thinking of going for it just because it is a nice piece of history despite someone cutting up the stock. I have no pics of course but A) how can I tell if the barrel is shot out and B) does that seem to be a good price? Thanks, J
    RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by panzerman View Post
    Not trying to hijack your thread but I have an opportunity to pick up an Arisaka 7.7 that has been sporterized but still has the Chrysanthemum on the receiver, it looks to be in good shape, with a shiny bore. It is tough to tell how prominent the rifling should be, it is there but seems to be worn..\. They guy wants 150 for it and I am thinking of going for it just because it is a nice piece of history despite someone cutting up the stock. I have no pics of course but A) how can I tell if the barrel is shot out and B) does that seem to be a good price? Thanks, J
    You would need to guage the muzzle. Don't know if you can get one for an old Japanese war rifle. I know you can get them for American rifles. The muzzle gage will tell you the condition of the barrel.

Like the Molly Hatchet avatar. Haven't seen one of their album covers in a while.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

First the riflings in a 7.7 are called Medford and they are not square shouldered but rounded, a hold over from black powder days to aid in cleaning the bore. Second I have never heard of a T99 with a shout out barrel. Don't say there is not one but in all the years I have never heard of one. Sometimes the bores are larger than other, you will just have to shoot and see. I think you can buy .311", .312" and .313" diameter bullets so if it does not do what you want with one you can try another. That is a pretty rifle. If you take it to a machinest caution him about the need to not skims the existing shoulder as it will mess up the safety function. The Japanese were bore cleaning fanatics, I suspect all the rusty bores are results of us firing corrosive ammo in them and not the Japanese.
    roy